What's new

The Beatles to Release Shea Stadium Concert in Theaters (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
My brother Ron found the material and restored this years ago from 35mm elements and original magnetic audio elements.

In short: it looks and sounds amazing!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought the bits from Shea on the Beatles 1+ blu-ray were the best-looking things on there. Hopefully the half hour concert is part of the blu-ray release of Ron Howard's film.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I thought the bits from Shea on the Beatles 1+ blu-ray were the best-looking things on there. Hopefully the half hour concert is part of the blu-ray release of Ron Howard's film.

That would be my hope too since I doubt it will show in my stupid town.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I received the deluxe Blu-ray release yesterday and watched the documentary last night. I think Ron Howard did a terrific job in pulling all this material together and produced an excellent film. It's the closest thing I've seen to the best Beatles documentary -- The Compleat Beatles. I have not got to the 2nd disc of bonus material with the live performances yet.

This should be in every Beatles fan's library.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Got the disc yesterday too but haven't watched yet.

Speaking of which, we need the Compleat Beatles on blu-ray! Long overdue!

Reactions: PMF

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Regarding THE COMPLEAT BEATLES (1982), I just spotted the following passage in it's Wikipedia entry. Sadly, it is not at all encouraging in terms of any potential future releases:

The Compleat Beatles was initially released as a PBS documentary in the United States, and then on VHS, Betamax, CED and Laserdisc that same year on the MGM/UA Home Video label. The 1982 Laserdisc was released in both Analogue and Stereo versions, as well as being released in Japan and England (in PAL format) in 1983.

The film did very well, and in 1984 Delilah Films and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer arranged for it to be released theatrically in the U.S. by a small distributor named Teleculture. This contributed to its continuing to be a best seller on VHS. Some years later, when Paul McCartney was preparing the Beatles Anthology, he bought the negative and all the rights to the film from Delilah to get it off of the market and clear the way for his production. That, according to the film's director Patrick Montgomery, is why it is not available on DVD or any newer formats and "probably never will be."

In short, THE COMPLEAT BEATLES (1982) has met the same fate as LET IT BE (1970)! :(

CHEERS! :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have got to hook up my CED player and make a DVD copy of this. (Yes, I have Compleat and Let It Be on CED.) Now if I could just find my CED player...

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have got to hook up my CED player and make a DVD copy of this. (Yes, I have Compleat and Let It Be on CED.) Now if I could just find my CED player...
I have a homemade DVD-R sourced from the VHS version. While I'm sure CED sourcing would yield superior results visually and aurally, there's also that pesky having to flip the disc over halfway through the film issue!

Of course, I'd much rather have a good DVD or Blu-ray version of THE COMPLEAT BEATLES (1982), but chances of it ever being released in either of these formats don't look good, unfortunately!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting information Tony that Paul bought The Compleat Beatles.

I do have the laserdisc of the documentary. I haven't seen it in ages, but if it were available for preparation for a DVD or blu ray release, I'd imagine it would require extensive work to make the older film elements cleaner.

Regarding Howard's Eight Days A Week documentary blu-ray, there was some confusion from a friend about the release information if it does actually contain the Shea Stadium concert. Sounds like you guys who have received it that the the concert is included in the extra content disc? Thanks if you guys can confirm that.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

I do have the laserdisc of the documentary. I haven't seen it in ages, but if it were available for preparation for a DVD or blu ray release, I'd imagine it would require extensive work to make the older film elements cleaner.
Provided the negatives are in good shape, and due to it's documentary style nature, I'd suspect that not much more than an HD scanning and a bit of audio/visual cleanup would be required. I certainly wouldn't be expecting anything remotely resembling the level of restoration that went into the MY FAIR LADY 50TH ANNIVERSARY Blu-ray, for instance! For me, something better than what homemade transfers can yield, would suffice.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there is already a thread within the HTF concerning "Let It Be"; but, nonetheless, this is the thread I found, so I'm gonna put in my two-cents worth. And here it goes...
Where the bloody Hell is "Let It Be"? And I do mean the BD.
Red-tape? No doubt.
Strategies in marketing? Possibly.
But whomever of the license holders, cut it out...or, in this case, let it be; and just release it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Paul recently said he "thought we put it out already." Ringo apparently is all for it.

Most of the blame seems to fall on Paul, who is said not to like the way it makes him look.

But this is from a Rolling Stone interview this past summer:

You mentioned the Let It Be film. Is there any chance it will ever be rereleased?
I keep thinking we've done it. We've talked about it for so long.

What's the holdup?
I've no bloody idea. I keep bringing it up, and everyone goes, "Yeah, we should do that." The objection should be me. I don't come off well.

It suggests that, with the Beatles' work, you are not as in control of the legacy as people would assume.
Apple [Corps] is a democracy. I'm one of the votes. The Beatles stuff does itself. Someone will say, "Ron Howard is interested in doing a film." I get to say yes or no. My preference is yes – he's good.

Does it have to be a unanimous decision – you, Ringo, Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison?
Yeah. That's the secret of the Beatles – can't do three to one. During the breakup was when it got screwed up – we did three against one. But now it has to be unanimous. The two girls are Beatles.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...ooks-back-the-rolling-stone-interview-w433437

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have a homemade DVD-R sourced from the VHS version. While I'm sure CED sourcing would yield superior results visually and aurally, there's also that pesky having to flip the disc over halfway through the film issue!

Of course, I'd much rather have a good DVD or Blu-ray version of THE COMPLEAT :)BEATLES (1982), but chances of it ever being released in either of these formats don't look good, unfortunately!

CHEERS!

I have a DVD-R from my VHS copy, as well. I actually purchased a device to defeat Macrovision copy protection specifically to make a DVD copy of this film, as it has been apparent for quite awhile that McCartney has no intention of ever releasing The Compleat Beatles on DVD or BD.

I watched the 2nd disc today. There are some interesting additional interviews on the disc. Most of the live performances, though, are just complete versions of the same concert performances in the documentary. The complete Shea Stadium concert is not included with the deluxe edition.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Provided the negative is in good shape, I'd think that an HD scanning, along with some audio and visual cleanup would be all THE COMPLEAT BEATLES (1982) would really need. I certainly wouldn't be expecting a MY FAIR LADY 50th Anniversary Edition level of restoration! For me, anything better than what can be yielded from a homemade copy would be quite sufficient, and the nature of the Blu-ray format should take care of that end of things!

Of course, with the extreme unlikelihood of this title ever being issued in any of the current formats, the above is pretty much moot, anyway! One can dream, though!

EDIT: Sorry for this mostly duplicate post! My internet has been doing some strange things, and it appeared that my previous post hadn't taken, and then suddenly, there it was, along with a few other posts! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks