What's new

STAR TREK BEYOND IN NEW TRIPLE SCREEN FORMAT (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Have any HTF readers seen STAR TREK BEYOND in the new triple screen format? The new process recently opened in Dubai and later in Cairo. The film was reformatted for use in the new Barco Escape format. The triple screen is 270 degrees ) compared with Cinerama's 165 degree curve).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Unfortunately, the movie was not offered in this format in a location near me so I did not get to try it. I enjoyed Star Trek Beyond very much and would have gladly seen it again this way if that had been an option.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It plays in Barco at Cinemark Legacy in Plano, TX, about 7 miles from me. I have not seen the movie.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I saw it and was not impressed. The deal wasn't made until after the film was completed, so it wasn't shot with this in mind. Only about 15-20 minutes of the film actually utilizes the three screens. It appears they simply zoomed and/or stretched certain scenes to expand them - you can notice the drop in resolution whenever the image expands across the screens. It might be interesting to see something that had actually been photographed with the process in mind, but I'm going to hold off until I hear some positive word of mouth.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've seen both Maze Runner movies as well as Star Trek in the Barco process. They have all looked the same when the 3 screens are used and the image expands across them. It is more immersive but the loss of resolution is also a weakness of the system.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
There is another new triple screen process called SCREEN X. This system is so far ,only installed in South Korea

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks