What's new

How to get a surround sound from my Smart TV with my small humble 5.1 speaker system? (1 Viewer)

Prabhakaran Karuppaih

Auditioning
Real Name
Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Hi All,

I am Prabhakaran from India. I bought this smart TV before 10 months:

http://www.amazon.in/Onida-LEO40FSAIN-LEO40FAIN-inches-Android/dp/B010ANTV7Y

along with this 5.1 speaker system:

http://www.amazon.in/Intex-IT-500SUF-INTEX-IT-500B-Speaker/dp/B00E6Q5SMO

According to this question posted on Amazon.in:

http://www.amazon.in/Does-this-have-optical-audio/forum/Fx192MAZGHI67CB/Tx1KI41385DY2ZW/

it is being confirmed that my smart TV does support Surround Sound through some audio technology called SPDIF.

I even checked in my TV. Yes, it does support SPDIF (Both RAW and PCM). I still don't know what are those options.

This all about the TV. Lets come to the speaker system.

It has only two modes of input:

1. Two audio jacks for right and left stereo input Or
2. Six audio jacks for 5.1 surround input

I am not able to check the sound jacks or ports in my TV as it is wall mounted and the jacks/ports might be lying closing to the wall or bottom of the TV. As you people are experts and must have seen many sound systems I believe you people can able to guess closely what might be present on my TV too.

I am Dying to hear Surround Sound from TV and Speaker System as all my devices are surround sound abled and connected to my TV through HDMI. (My Computer and the Set Top Box)

Thank you.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
TV is wall mounted. Very difficult to see what's on its side or bottom. Will check and reply soon. Thank you for your concern. Thanks.
Well if the sound is coming directly from the tv it would either be using optical out (which is a weird plug that kinda looks like a square) or digital coax (Orange RCA jack, IIRC the Yellow video cable of an old RWY should substitute for it without much hastle). Usually the HDMI is only being used to display images and sound from external devices (set top boxes, bluray, Chromecast, etc.) at the stage you're describing. In which case they would be plugged into your surround sound receiver's hdmi inputs with a single hdmi cord going back into your tv (video only as the receiver is already decoding your audio externally). Now every tv I've had has no HDMI out, only in, so to get sound to your receiver would be to use the aforementioned methods of optical and digital coax. Since TV sound by default is lossy and highly compressed I wouldn't worry about it not being anything more that DD+ either.

EDIT - From the looks of it, your tv amazingly has no audio out at all except for a stereo RCA RedWhite and a single 3.5mm headphone jack. Combined with the fact that your surround system does not have a proper receiver and HDMI input or output for that matter suggests you're up a creek pal.

Last edited:

Prabhakaran Karuppaih

Auditioning
Real Name
Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your replies. I have checked the panels on my TV:

Here is the Side Panel:

Side Panel.jpg

Bottom Panel in parts:

Bottom Panel 1.jpg

Bottom Panel 2.jpg

Bottom Panel 3.jpg

Do I still need to buy the decoder box? It's price is more than of my sound system :(

Still I want to buy it if required.

And please also tell me whether SPDIF can be enabled for the audio signals from the HDMI?

If at all I cannot get surround sound with these features in my TV. I still want to know what all are the audio features are present in my TV on the panels above especially the CMBT IN (PB/PR). Thank you.

Regards,
Prabhakaran Karuppaih

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Almost all of those connections on your TV are inputs. The lone output is the SPDIF. (Okay, and the network connection, if we want to get technical.) So yeah, you'll still need the box to connect it to your speaker system.

I'll add that the main problem is that that speaker system is really designed to be used with a computer; so it doesn't have the connections you need/want. If you can, I recommend getting an audio system designed for home theater. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.in/Yamaha-Theater...3454&sr=1-27&keywords=home+theater+system+5.1

I couldn't find a manual on the Onida web site, so I can't answer the question of whether HDMI plays through SPDIF. It looks like a good TV though, so I'd guess, "yes". If you can find a link for the manual, I'd be glad to take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks