What's new

Sound in home theater works, but.... (1 Viewer)

SteveCee

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Samsung Home Theater system, Samsung TV (don't have the model number, I'm at <gasp> work). I can do a test on the speakers from the home theater system, they all work. Slide a DVD in, and "poof", sound through home theater speakers disappears, and I have to run sound through TV, totally worthless sound at that point. It used to work just fine, then one day, it said "Nope, I ain't gonna do it anymore". I just don't understand how they can be working when I do the system check on the theater system, but refuse to work when playing a DVD.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
What gear do you have?
How is it hooked up?
Are you getting any sound from any speakers?
The system check is running off the AVR not another source?

SteveCee

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
What gear do you have?
How is it hooked up?
Are you getting any sound from any speakers?
The system check is running off the AVR not another source?

Just the home theater system and the TV. Cable box doesn't go through home theater, just direct to TV.

If u run the system test on the home theater system, I get sound from all of the HT sys speakers. But playing a DVD, I have to run the sound through the TV speakers. The HT Sys has a built in test where you can adjust the sound level from each speaker.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just the home theater system and the TV. Cable box doesn't go through home theater, just direct to TV.

If u run the system test on the home theater system, I get sound from all of the HT sys speakers. But playing a DVD, I have to run the sound through the TV speakers. The HT Sys has a built in test where you can adjust the sound level from each speaker.
There are thousands of different types of home theater systems and knowing how it is connected to other equipment like the DVD, cable box and TV will make a difference in our suggestions. As of right now anything we tell you will be nothing but a guess.

SteveCee

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
There are thousands of different types of home theater systems and knowing how it is connected to other equipment like the DVD, cable box and TV will make a difference in our suggestions. As of right now anything we tell you will be nothing but a guess.

I'm connected via HDMI cable to the TV only. Any other info I can provide once I get home.

Thanks!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Like RobertJ said, without a model number for the HT system we can only offer guesses. With a model number, we can check manuals online to see specifically what settings under what menus might be the culprit and to see what features it has to offer. That being said, here are some guesses:

- You have it connected to the TV via HDMI - is the audio "enabled" over HDMI (I'm guessing it is since you say you use the TVs speakers) - is it possible to turn off/disable HDMI audio - perhaps if audio is enabled over HDMI it effectively mutes the home theater system speakers
- Somewhat related - are you using ARC for any of the connections? If so, try switching inputs away from ARC. Often it causes more problems than it solves.
- Does it happen with all discs or just some (i.e. perhaps it doesn't like DTS-encoded discs)?
- Any chance the HT system is set on mute? (even if it is, that might be overridden when using the setup menu and speaker test).
- Is there a speaker A/B switch that maybe got changed? Second zone? Different audio output?

SteveCee

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Like RobertJ said, without a model number for the HT system we can only offer guesses. With a model number, we can check manuals online to see specifically what settings under what menus might be the culprit and to see what features it has to offer. That being said, here are some guesses:

- You have it connected to the TV via HDMI - is the audio "enabled" over HDMI (I'm guessing it is since you say you use the TVs speakers) - is it possible to turn off/disable HDMI audio - perhaps if audio is enabled over HDMI it effectively mutes the home theater system speakers
- Somewhat related - are you using ARC for any of the connections? If so, try switching inputs away from ARC. Often it causes more problems than it solves.
- Does it happen with all discs or just some (i.e. perhaps it doesn't like DTS-encoded discs)?
- Any chance the HT system is set on mute? (even if it is, that might be overridden when using the setup menu and speaker test).
- Is there a speaker A/B switch that maybe got changed? Second zone? Different audio output?

Sorry for the delay, work interrupted my personal life again. ;-)

The HT System is Samsung HT-F4500.

I'll have to look into "disabling the HDMI audio". Not sure if I cn do that, but at this point, it doesn't hurt to try.

I tried using the "ARC" to see if it helped, it didn't so I switched it off.

It happens with any DVD. I haven't tried any home made discs yet, but I don't have anything to put on a DVD besides music, so I'm thinking that's not a good test.

Not on mute, I've tried that button several times thinking that it might be the issue.

I do have a speaker select button, I'll give that a dance to see if that changes things..

Wes K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wesley
It's best to connect each device directly to the home theater system. If your DVD player has an optical or coaxial (orange colored output) connect that from the DVD player to the HT with the correct cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks