What's new

Companies working on 8K Video (1 Viewer)

So where are you on this topic?

• Is 1080p HD good enough for you?

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Do you plan on getting 4K UHD or do you have it now?

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Would you consider 8K for any reason?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While many will find 1080p to look good enough and it does look good. What the industry should be doing is supporting 4K and getting the public to adopt it. At least getting a decent adoption rate especially before talking about 8K video. We do not even have all the studios on board releasing 4K UHD blu-ray content yet but yet there are some companies talking about 8K which in my honest opinion is overkill for consumers. 8K may be the next evolution for commercial cinemas but do we need 8K video in our homes? Honestly I would say we do not need anything more than 4K video with HDR and the industry should be trying to get market saturation instead of spending large sums of money on 8K when 4K is still fresh. One way get the public tired of reinvesting in technology for home video is to change it at a rapid pace. As far as I am concerned 4K is the holy grail and I see no reason to upgrade beyond that. I see no reason to buy movies if they can be offered in 8K and I seriously doubt any film content would benefit from it and to my knowledge 4K can exceed what our eyes can precieve anyway. At what point do we get to a point where it really is good enough and there is no benefit to expanding resolution of video and or audio? And are we in fact at that point right now and do we really need a display that can produce a 3D picture or even a 2D picture without a display panel? I feel that 4K is that point especially with HDR which could also be used with 1080p HD content to make that better.

I own a 4K UHD display and am building a 4K blu-ray library and will continue to enjoy my 1080p library and will buy certain movies on HD blu-ray. I however see no reason to repurchase anything in 8K! I might buy an 8K display but my movie buying ends with 4K and when I say that I mean I am not interested in buying 8K discs or 8K digital content. And as far as audio I might consider a format where they add a floor channel but how many people would buy into that? But Dolby Atmos and DTS-X may just be the end for me.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMHO this will not be good for selling TV's and consumers will be wondering why they should be investing in 4K and then what if something else comes out in a few years after 8K. I will not be buying an 8K display in the next 6 years, and maybe not even in the next 14 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks