What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Now You See Me 2 -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I thought that Now You See Me was terrific fun.

Now You See Me 2 is also fun, and in precisely the same vein, but a bit less so, as 2 is in many ways, a re-telling for the first, with a few new characters, and some new hi-jinx.

Viewing it, bought to mind the reality of film, vs the illusion of the NYSM films.

It's all about perception, being misguided, sent off to try to see something, when what you're really supposed to be viewing...

You get the concept.

But that concept is precisely what makes the cinema what it is.

All those great films that we've grown to love, are in reality, nothing more than flickering shadows on a wall.

A magic trick, of sorts.

Photographs, created in bursts, edited together to create something that was never there -- and all going by, at a reasonably rapid, 1,440 pictures per minute.

The NYSM films, and cinema, have a great deal in common.

As to the film, while I preferred the first, part two is still fun, with some odd characters, inclusive of Woody Harrelson's twin brother, with whom he has never previously acted, apparently outside of some high school productions.

One thing further...

I've been viewing the second season of The Affair, which I'll cover here in due time.

But here's the question.

Why is it that British actors, used in American productions, seem to be able to speak absolutely normal American English, inclusive of regional dialects, while American actors required to do the same, seem to be far less perfect in their linguistic skills. Take, for example, Daniel Radcliffe, probably best known for his work in How to Succeed in Business. Here, required to put on a British accent, and can't quite pull it off.

Why not make life easier for everyone, and simply allow UK actors to play UK parts, and American actors to deal with the true Amurican accents.

But then the question of the sword and sandal epics might also arise, with the noble Romans played by British actors, and the slaves by Americans and others.

As a 4k UHD disc, HDR encoded, this is a gorgeous release. Dolby Atmos rounds out a perfect package, and yet another reason to purchase the film in 4k and be future-proofed.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
I'm really enjoying your detailed reviews of the new 4K discs. I plan to start building my 4K library of movies soon and will be using your trusted reviews as a basis for future purchases- thanks again.

(would love to hear your thoughts on the 4K release of 'Oblivion' with Tom Cruise. I remember the bluray looking incredible- I can only imagine how crazy good the 4K release must be!)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm really enjoying your detailed reviews of the new 4K discs. I plan to start building my 4K library of movies soon and will be using your trusted reviews as a basis for future purchases- thanks again.

(would love to hear your thoughts on the 4K release of 'Oblivion' with Tom Cruise. I remember the bluray looking incredible- I can only imagine how crazy good the 4K release must be!)

Shortly...

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

But here's the question.

Why is it that British actors, used in American productions, seem to be able to speak absolutely normal American English, inclusive of regional dialects, while American actors required to do the same, seem to be far less perfect in their linguistic skills. Take, for example, Daniel Radcliffe, probably best known for his work in How to Succeed in Business. Here, required to put on a British accent, and can't quite pull it off.

Why not make life easier for everyone, and simply allow UK actors to play UK parts, and American actors to deal with the true Amurican accents.

But then the question of the sword and sandal epics might also arise, with the noble Romans played by British actors, and the slaves by Americans and others.

And right there is my Sunday "laugh out loud" moment. Cheers to you, RAH!

Ray0414

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray

Oblivion is an upscale disaster, I hope Robert can see it. Wide shots are noticeably softer and blurry. Completely unacceptable for a premium format.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Oblivion is an upscale disaster, I hope Robert can see it. Wide shots are noticeably softer and blurry. Completely unacceptable for a premium format.

Just viewed. Not what i saw. Wide shots in 4k point toward a need for the format with this film.

Review forthcoming.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Uhh, you know Daniel Radcliffe IS British, right? Or am I missing some subtle humor, perhaps? :unsure:

Anyway, great review, Robert! :)

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Ray0414

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
Just viewed. Not what i saw. Wide shots in 4k point toward a need for the format with this film.

Review forthcoming.

Interesting. I'm curious if watching on a projector can hide issues. All the reviews so far, and also Stacy Spears at spectracal have noted the softness of wide shots. Colors and hdr look spectacular, so you have to definitely assess resolution without being in aw by the new colors and highlights. Did you A/B the bluray by chance? I've taken some disturbing comparison photos and Stacey was going to get some screen captures to eliminate any picture abnormalities.

To get back on topic about Now you see me 2, im excited for this one visually and I enjoyed part 1.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Take, for example, Daniel Radcliffe, probably best known for his work in How to Succeed in Business. Here, required to put on a British accent, and can't quite pull it off.
Uhh, you know Daniel Radcliffe IS British, right? Or am I missing some subtle humor, perhaps? :unsure:
I think I'm missing something too as he is surely better known for playing Harry Potter.....?

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Mr. Harris' humor does get obscure at times, but that's part of his charm.

And in the slight chance he is NOT kidding, I invite him to listen to Jeremy Northam's bungled attempt at an "American" accent in HAPPY, TEXAS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks