What's new

Apple 2016 iPhone/Watch Event Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
LIVE STREAMING:
http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2016/

State of the Union and Updates

Tim Cook is an awful singer
Apple Music has over 17 million subscribers
10th Anniversary of Apple Music Festival to be live streamed on Apple TV and other devices
App Store now has 140 billion downloads
500,000 Games in the App Store
Mario/Nintendo coming to App Store in time for 2016 holiday
Super Mario Stickers being added to iOS 10

iWork

Real-time collaboration in all apps across all devices (including the web)
You can invite colleagues to join in to help edit documents with images, text and animations in real-time.
Private or Public

Apple Watch Series 2

Has become the #2 Watch brand in the world. #1 Top Selling Smart Watch
Pokemon Go coming to Watch. Shipping before end of year.

Swim proof casing. Water resistant 50 meters.
Speaker ejects water
Swim workouts (lap count, calorie burn, distance)
2nd-gen System In A Package: Dual Core Processor 50% faster. 2x faster GPU.
2nd-gen display now 2x brighter. 1000 nits.
Built-In GPS. Keeps track of hikes, shows location on maps, highlights views and facts within the area.

Aluminum, Stainless Steel and White Ceramic casing
Series two Hermes models
Partnering with Nike. Apple Watch Nike Plus with perforated, breathable band.

$369 For Apple Watch Series 2 and Nike +
$269 For Series 1 with GPU upgrade

September 9 preorder
Watch OS 3 September 13th

iPhone 7

Aluminum body, sheet of glass, in a single shape
3D Polished housing
New Jet Black High Gloss Finish and Aluminum Black (which reflects light)
Gold/Silver/Rose Gold Colors as well
New Integrated Antennas
Home Button redesigned to be more responsive. Force sensitive with taptic engine response.
Water and dust resistant. IP67 protection standard.
Camera has optical image stabilization. Up to 3x longer exposure. Larger aperture lens. Six-elelement lens. High-speed sensof 60% faster. Quad-LED True Tone Flash with flicker sensor.
New Live Photos adds editing.
7MP FaceTime HD Camera (up from 5MP)
All cameras, front and back, feature wide color capture.
All new 12-MP camera

iPhone 7 Plus Camera has two 12MP cameras. One is Wide-angle. The other is Telephoto
Features Software zoom up to 10x
Depth effect can be added to portraits. You can see the real-time preview before you even snap the photo.
Free Software Update later this year for all iPhone 7 Plus users

Retina HD display now 25% brighter with side color gamut, Cinema Standard, Color Management, 3D Touch.

Stereo Speakers. 2x Louder than 6S and 6S Plus. Increased Dynamic Range
Audio devices now connected by lightning cable.
In box headphones included
Lightning to mini phono adapter included in the box with the phone

Apple AirPods provide 5 hours of listening on single charge. Charger built into case
Intelligent wireless connection to all your Apple devices (including Apple Watch)
Can be used for music listening, talking with Siri or making a phone call
$159 Late October

Beats Solo 3 wireless has 40 hours listening time.
Beats X is an affordable, light comfortable headphone.

Apple 7 features A10 fusion chip - most powerful chip in a smartphone
Four-core CPU
49% faster processing than A9 on 6S, 6S Plus
Longer battery life. Longest battery life on an iPhone. Lasts 2 more hours than the iPhone 6S, 1 more hour than 6S Plus.
Apple-designed performance controller
50% faster graphics performance than A9 chip
LTE advanced up to 450 Mbps

iPhone 7 from $649
Silver/Gold/Rose Gold/Black/Jet Black
32GB, 128GB, 256GB

iPhone 7 Plus from $769
32GB, 128GB, 256GB

iPhone Upgrade Program with Apple Care+

Preorder September 9th Ships September 16th

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok but I think I've had enough of carpool kaoroke

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Live stream is a good 10-20 seconds behind press event

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Mac 9 to 5 noticed that the Apple twitter account jumped the gun with some info. The tweets didn't reveal all that much although I find it interesting they used the term "water resistant" and not "water proof". Guess we will need to wait for details.

-Keith

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm in for the gloss black iPhone 7. Considering the plus and with 256gb. This is nuts, the cost to buy outright is the same as an iPad Pro loaded. But it is a pretty powerful device with such powerful features. And I liked the Airbuds. It will be interesting to hear how good they sound, or bad.

I did t see any mention of how you change the iPhone if you're using the wired headsets. I get the sense wireless being the main focus today, the point is you use wireless headsets, so the port is free to charge. But the other thing they pushed hard on was the greater battery life. So maybe the idea of worrying about charging is not so big to Apple. I know many here will disagree with that.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Final damages for today:

Jet Black iPhone 7+ 128gb on Apple upgrade program

Apple Watch Series 2 Space Black Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop

1-2x PlayStation 4 pros

Well there goes my tech budget for next year

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also want to get the Jet Black iPhone 7+, but I want to get the 256gb model although I might opt for the 128gb. I think I'll join the Apple upgrade program too. I may also get the Apple Watch.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The new camera will probably push me to upgrade to the big phone next Fall. I doubt they'll roll it into the non-plus line for two years, like with OIS. But this is getting very expensive. I may have to consider a three year upgrade iPhone cycle.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The new camera will probably push me to upgrade to the big phone next Fall. I doubt they'll roll it into the non-plus line for two years, like with OIS. But this is getting very expensive. I may have to consider a three year upgrade iPhone cycle.

Rumors being what they are, next year, the 10th anniversary of Apple's iPhone will not be a 7S year: they'll release a majorly different new iPhone. Whether that makes any likelier that the smaller than "plus" iPhone will have dual camera lenses: no idea.

I was surprised that there weren't any new medical related changes in the new Apple Watch. Loved Schiller's iPhone presentation in general.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
They didn't even talk about the larger watch battery and how much time one could expect to get out of it.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'm terribly confused. My last one was the iPhone 4.
Ive had a nexus 5 since it came out.

I'm a Spotify user but have a zillion iTunes songs.

Apple text messaging is pretty much standard where I come from and their cameras are the best imo and the quality is even more evident when used in 3rd party apps like instagram. For these reasons I had been thinking about returning to iPhone this year. I would also return to Apple Music over Spotify.

But googles software and stock android just works so much better for me. I'm amazed at how well it integrates together with the nexus phones, but I'm not hearing good things about this years Pixel phones and their messaging is becoming even more disjointed, although on paper I do like what they've done with duo and allo. They're just not the standard and I think casual android users likely won't even know about them.

I know I'll end up preordering an iPhone. But I'm pretty disappointed with how apple has once again shit the bed, esp with the headphone jack. They've really stalled with innovating I think, over the last few years and could really use Steve Jobs back, and have turned the iPhone into a cash cow by locking people deeper and deeper into their ecosystem and charging people a fortune for it. The 2015 iPhone was nearly $500 more than the equivalent 2015 nexus here in Canada. As an investor, I am more than pleased.

I'm just... disappointed.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don't have a problem with the direction Apple is going by eliminating the headphone jack. The included dongle can be put on whichever headphones a person uses most and left there. I really don't understand the backlash about it. The 7 is kind of a snore for me since I don't take pictures or play games on mine. I did get excited about Mario coming to iOS until I realized it's an endless runner. No thanks. I'm still not going to be upgrading from the 6s to the 7 because there's no real reason for me to but I will probably upgrade to the 7's successor.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have to be completely f-ing out of my mind to be dropping about $1500 (if not more) on a new iPhone 7 Plus that is a moderate upgrade from the 6S and the iWatch Stainless Steel Series 2.

...and then there is the MacBook Pro next month which will be another $2,500 loaded (or thereabouts)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

That might be the best advice EVER.

So, there is a way to make the selection in the app a FAVORITE?

Then all I need to do is log on and select favorites and pay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks