What's new

Blood Father (Mel Gibson) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mel Gibson stars in a new movie, Blood Father, which is now playing in theaters and is also available on VOD. I watched it at home the other night and was pleasantly surprised. Running just 88 minutes, it's a mostly low-key character piece, starring Gibson as an ex-con whose estranged daughter turns to him for help when she gets mixed up with some shady gang characters in the southwestern U.S.

I hadn't seen Mel Gibson in a starring role since 2010's underwhelming Edge Of Darkness. And before that, the last starring role I saw him in was Signs. I grew up in the 80s and 90s where Mel Gibson was everywhere, but in the time he's been off the screen, I had forgotten how much I liked him as an actor. Last summer I rewatched the Lethal Weapon movies for the first time in about a decade, and loved them as much as I did when they first came out. So when I heard about Blood Father, I was intrigued.

Though the movie features some great supporting performances from greats like William H. Macy, it's really Gibson's show, and he's absolutely fantastic. I had almost forgotten what a brilliant actor he is. Here, he fully inhabits the role, abandoning his movie star looks for a more gritty and honest portrayal of a broken down man just trying to hold on.

Though not as flashy as the blockbuster he's best known for, Mel Gibson delivers a great performance in the very good Blood Father. If you've ever been a fan of Gibson, it's worth seeing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm a huge Gibson fan. Can't wait for Hacksaw Ridge. Will check this one out soon. Thanks Josh for the heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks