What's new

The New Dick Van Dyke Show? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Has "The New Dick Van Dyke Show" ever been made available for purchase?

I just finished watching Image's fantastic Blu-ray set of the original Dick Van Dyke Show and it was fantastic. I had seen some of the episodes growing up, but most were new to me, and it was fantastic. I loved Van Dyke's comic timing and warm sense of humor. I know that the New Dick Van Dyke Show is completely unrelated and considered to be quite inferior, but I think I'd still enjoying it. Only problem is, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Is this one of those titles that I'll probably never get a chance to see?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I tried "The Big River" and three "Underground" sites and all I found was diddly and squat. All I can say is hang loose, maybe someday someone will make it available, you never know when someone makes a "Grail Show" (I've had four pop up this year) available (Preferably on a legit site). :3dglasses:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

I just finished watching Image's fantastic Blu-ray set of the original Dick Van Dyke Show and it was fantastic. I had seen some of the episodes growing up, but most were new to me, and it was fantastic. I loved Van Dyke's comic timing and warm sense of humor. I know that the New Dick Van Dyke Show is completely unrelated and considered to be quite inferior, but I think I'd still enjoying it. Only problem is, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I agree with you that the Blu-ray discs look incredibly good . (I just started season 3). I also agree that it would be nice to be able to view the New Dick Van Dyke Show (and the New Perry Mason ) on DVD, but we seem to be in the midst of a retail climate where very little is being released . Let's hope that changes soon and we get to see some of these deserving shows .

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
The New DVD Show never took off like his original but I recall it being quite funny in it's own right

Dick and wife (Hope Lange I think - not quite the same chemistry as Mary Tyler Moore but o.k. overall) this time had a little daughter (again she was good if not not quite as funny as Rickie was) and they lived by the desert

I remember one where Dick rides his bike out....and it breaks down stranding him - he finds an old shack which has a kerosene lamp,
Dick carefully calculates that if he can feed that lamp's fuel into his fixed up bike it would get him...about three feet !

Dick was the master of playing a funny scene all on his own, and that one really cracked me up I remember

meanwhile Hope is trying very carefully to break the news to her little girl that Daddy might be late home because...to which the child bluntly says; 'Daddy's lost in the desert isn't he...?'

I only vaguely recall the show which we had for not many episodes, but it was a good show in it's own right but of course was always eclipsed by the classic original DVD show

I would love to see it again and judge it by it's own merits...

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I only vaguely recall the show which we had for not many episodes, but it was a good show in it's own right but of course was always eclipsed by the classic original DVD show

the new Van Dyke show did run three seasons). I watched all three, but only have vague memories of it.

Would be all over this release.

Here's a weird thing. Neither my wife nor I remember much about this show (except for many of the things mentioned here--Hope Lange, the Arizona desert, etc.)...but we both remember note-for-note the theme song. My wife is not especially musical...and we each haven't heard it since broadcasts...but we both know it...right own to the final flourishes. Extremely odd.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence

The show has had a reasonable amount of syndication exposure over the years (local syndication, The Goodlife Network, TNT etc.). You might check with Warner Archive to see if they have any comments about a possible release.

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
Very solid series, even during the final season's reformatting. Comparable to The Mary Tyler Moore Show in terms of timbre, but much more a star vehicle than an ensemble piece, and it probably paid the price. Additionally, it was inevitably held up against The Dick Van Dyke Show, and that's going to be an unholy juxtaposition for almost any series. It deserves to be officially circulated, as there are a handful of truly stellar outings in which Van Dyke shines. I blogged about some of my favorite episodes -- again, sorry for the shameless self-promotion -- here...

https://jacksonupperco.com/2014/12/...ew-dick-van-dyke-show-episodes-of-season-one/

https://jacksonupperco.com/2014/12/...ew-dick-van-dyke-show-episodes-of-season-two/

https://jacksonupperco.com/2014/12/...-dick-van-dyke-show-episodes-of-season-three/

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The show has had a reasonable amount of syndication exposure over the years (local syndication, The Goodlife Network, TNT etc.). You might check with Warner Archive to see if they have any comments about a possible release.

I didn't realize it was a Warner-controlled show - great idea, I will definitely do that.

Very solid series, even during the final season's reformatting. Comparable to The Mary Tyler Moore Show in terms of timbre, but much more a star vehicle than an ensemble piece, and it probably paid the price. Additionally, it was inevitably held up against The Dick Van Dyke Show, and that's going to be an unholy juxtaposition for almost any series. It deserves to be officially circulated, as there are a handful of truly stellar outings in which Van Dyke shines. I blogged about some of my favorite episodes -- again, sorry for the shameless self-promotion -- here...

https://jacksonupperco.com/2014/12/...ew-dick-van-dyke-show-episodes-of-season-one/

https://jacksonupperco.com/2014/12/...ew-dick-van-dyke-show-episodes-of-season-two/

https://jacksonupperco.com/2014/12/...-dick-van-dyke-show-episodes-of-season-three/

Very cool! You don't happen to have a bunch of episodes on VHS in your attic that you'd like to share, do you? :) [insert Mike Frezon patented "big grin" here]

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
It seems like this show has been requested before, and they have stated that it had clearance issues, and also required a lot of work to remaster. Personally, I hope they can get around to releasing it. I've never seen it before, but I have enjoyed every other Dick Van Dyke tv series that has been released, and hope that I will be able to try this one as well!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It seems like this show has been requested before, and they have stated that it had clearance issues, and also required a lot of work to remaster. Personally, I hope they can get around to releasing it. I've never seen it before, but I have enjoyed every other Dick Van Dyke tv series that has been released, and hope that I will be able to try this one as well!

I would honestly be very happy with an unremastered, taken from whatever was the last video transfer done for cable or whatever, burned onto DVD-Rs. It can be a Warner Archive "this is the best we have ready at the moment" style release and that's fine by me. I'd just like to see it.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Dick Van Dyke was and is a comedy genius (Loved that impromptu version of 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' Dick & his buddies sang in that diner to delighted customers recently ! - he's still got it !)

his name is even DVD so EVERYTHING he did should be out on DVD let alone Blu Ray !

I have to see that 'lost in the desert' episode again....!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I would honestly be very happy with an unremastered, taken from whatever was the last video transfer done for cable or whatever, burned onto DVD-Rs. It can be a Warner Archive "this is the best we have ready at the moment" style release and that's fine by me. I'd just like to see it.

That was their original concept for the archive releases but they stopped doing it that way at least a half dozen years ago. They now remaster everything that they either put out as a BOD release or put on their streaming site. All of the former MGM/Turner series that they own were beautifully remastered to one-inch tape in the 80s but they still do new transfers from the 35mm masters to modern format.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm one of the biggest fans of the classic Van Dyke Show there ever was, and to this day I have *never* seen an episode of the New Van Dyke Show. It'd be interesting to see but it would be with the coldest exposure possible to a 70s title I could have so I may have a tougher time "accepting" it (whereas by contrast I was exposed to MTM in Van Dyke Show reruns at the same time MTM was still on the air).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The thing I associate Van Dyke the most with in the 70s were those "Learn Not To Burn" PSA spots he would do. In grade school we even saw an entire educational film expanded from the PSAs and that included one funny spot where Van Dyke is standing and going "What should you NEVER do when there's a grease fire?" whereupon he then gets completely doused from off-stage by a bucket of water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks