What's new

What 3D TV to Buy (1 Viewer)

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I have the Samsung UN60H7150, and I really like this set. Great direct-view set and almost perfect for 3D.

The 2014 Samsung beat the pants off 2 former Panasonic Plasma sets that I used to own.
On Panasonic Plasmas, the ghosting on 3D movies (especially "Dial M for Murder") was unacceptable for some films.

Don't get me wrong:

I do think that Front Projectors with larger than 60" or 65" diagonal screen will give you a better 3D effect
(and more "pop-out").
but,
I like the ease-of-use and the look of a direct-view TV for most viewing.

As we all know, Samsung discontinued 3D on their 2016 models.
I really think they did a great disservice by not offering at least one upscale model in a larger screen size.

I realize that it is the abandonment of a minority,
but
I think it a poor business decision,
as 3D customers are often the ones who promote a product line to other people:

Higher end purchasers tend to promote a product downstream.

So, the question for this thread --

Going forward, what is the best choice for a Direct View TV for viewing 3D ?

I read that LG OLED is a panel lottery.
I read that 2016 Sony Direct View set has a lot of ghosting.

Thoughts on what to purchase (outside of a Front Projector)
from others that fall into the minority (like myself) of those that enjoy 3D TV when it is done well?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've heard good thing about the LG OLED but also occasional comments about that panel lottery - can you possibly buy from a retailer with a good return policy, so that if it doesn't look right, you could immediately exchange it without a hassle?

Going back a few years, I got my LG plasma from Amazon in 2012 and they were great about it - no problems with the TV so I didn't need to return it in the end, but Amazon made it very clear in advance that if I had any troubles whatsoever that they'd just send a truck to my house to come and pick it up, which made me feel a lot more comfortable buying it. Previously, I had never ordered a TV online before.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Does anyone have any experience with the 2015 Samsung 3D 4K TVs such as the 65" and 75"

Samsung UN65JU7100 ?

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
After LG decided to put their OLED's on sale (I think the sale ends Saturday), I looked for a buyer for my Samsung F8500 and found one, and now I'm moving on to the new LG 65" E6 OLED. To avoid the "panel lottery" as Phil describes, I opted to buy it from Value Electronics and pay them to do Q/C and Pro Calibration to make sure it's all fine before sending out, so I have peace of mind when it arrives.

With all these vintage 3-D titles coming out (much credit goes to Bob Furmanek and the 3-D Film Archive), I was using my DLP projector more often than usual to avoid crosstalk on the F8500. While I dig my DLP projector, sometimes the greyish looking blacks don't look great on some of my content. Films like Dark Country 3D benefit from deeper blacks offered by plasmas and OLED's. Unfortunately, the 3-D on Dark Country is so strong, that the crosstalk became too much to bear for the F8500. LG's passive 3-D technology appears to be just what the 3-D doctor ordered. I'm not expecting crosstalk to be zero like the DLP, but I do expect a better balance of deep blacks and better cancellation than what I'm currently getting from the F8500. I'll report my experiences when the TV arrives in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have watched three 3D films on my 65" OLED which I got in mid-September: Kiss Me Kate, Creature from the Black Lagoon, and It Came from Outer Space and each one provided a far superior 3D experience to the active glasses 3D experience I got from my plasma TV. I guess I lucked out with my OLED panel because it has consistency across the panel and the 3D has no crosstalk and pristine outward projections that really extend DEEPLY out of the set and into the room. Only a lack of free time has prevented me from going through my entire 3D collection to see how they function with this superlative set.

I will be astonished if you don't find it the most satisfying home 3D experience you've ever had. It certainly has been for me.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I have the LG OLED 55" and I must have won the "panel lottery", as my set does 3D absolutely amazingly beautiful. No ghosting, DEEP 3D effect. Extremely happy with the 3D effect.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I have watched three 3D films on my 65" OLED which I got in mid-September: Kiss Me Kate, Creature from the Black Lagoon, and It Came from Outer Space and each one provided a far superior 3D experience to the active glasses 3D experience I got from my plasma TV. I guess I lucked out with my OLED panel because it has consistency across the panel and the 3D has no crosstalk and pristine outward projections that really extend DEEPLY out of the set and into the room. Only a lack of free time has prevented me from going through my entire 3D collection to see how they function with this superlative set.

I will be astonished if you don't find it the most satisfying home 3D experience you've ever had. It certainly has been for me.

Which OLED 65" model do you have?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The E6 Matt has is the one to get if you want 3D. The B6 has the same panel but no 3D. The C6 supports 3D but is curved and I'm not a big fan of curved screens. I recently picked up both a B6 and an E6, but haven't had time to watch any 3D on the E6. I'm pleased to read about Matt's experience with his.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The E6 Matt has is the one to get if you want 3D. The B6 has the same panel but no 3D. The C6 supports 3D but is curved and I'm not a big fan of curved screens. I recently picked up both a B6 and an E6, but haven't had time to watch any 3D on the E6. I'm pleased to read about Matt's experience with his.
It really is the best purchase I've made in a long, long time. I have had zero regrets.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I just received my professionally calibrated LG E6 4K OLED TV on Monday and I'm absolutely impressed with the 3-D. So far I've watched Jaws 3-D, It Came From Outer Space, House of Wax, and Dark Country. While the 3-D isn't crosstalk free like my DLP projector, cross-talk is significantly reduced compared to the F8500's active glasses while preserving the deep blacks and excellent contrast typical of emissive displays, providing the "best of both worlds" scenario for 3-D enthusiasts. Dark Country looks absolutely stunning on this TV. The neo-noir style cinematography and strong 3-D benefits greatly from the superior contrast ratio of the OLED combined with reduced crosstalk. If these TV's came out in 2010, I believe the 3-D TV market would be much stronger than it currently is. Rumors are that OLED prices are going to drop significantly in the near future as LG opens up more manufacturing plants. Hopefullly, LG doesn't give up on 3-D for the 2017 OLED models.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa