What's new

surround versions (1 Viewer)

tkroeker

Auditioning
Real Name
todd
I have two different DVDs that when played one has the center audible and the other doesn't.
The one that doesn't is a generic 3 collection DVD that reads " Dolby Digital 5.1" on the back.

I have an inexpensive processor that does "Dolby Digital / AC3 and DTS 5.1CH audio signal"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MSD26TK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess the real question is, what do I need to look for on the DVD label so I know the next DVD with play through it correctly or what are the odds its something else?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Your problem lies in that the decoder you bought doesn't have Pro-logic processing. Therefore, any 2-channel DVDs you purchase are not going to be processed into the correct channels but will come out as left and right channel only. You should consider a proper receiver that can decode all the sound formats, including Pro-logic.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If the DVD in question is indeed 5.1 Dolby Digital, then you should be able to get a signal to the center channel. Some DVDs require Dolby Digital be selected in the menu of the disk itself. Look for “Audio Options” or something similar.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

tkroeker

Auditioning
Real Name
todd
Your problem lies in that the decoder you bought doesn't have Pro-logic processing. Therefore, any 2-channel DVDs you purchase are not going to be processed into the correct channels but will come out as left and right channel only. You should consider a proper receiver that can decode all the sound formats, including Pro-logic.
I come out of the 6 outputs into basicly six pro audio amps. So a receiver is out. There are better processors though. I will check the DVD player options again too.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If the DVD in question is indeed 5.1 Dolby Digital, then you should be able to get a signal to the center channel. Some DVDs require Dolby Digital be selected in the menu of the disk itself. Look for “Audio Options” or something similar.

As Wayne says, it may be the disc is defaulting to 2.0. There were a number of Disney titles in the past that would default to 2.0 even though they had a 5.1 option available. Check your audio setup option on the DVD menu.

If it says 5.1 on the case, you should have a center channel. Unless, of course, there's an error/typo on the case.

tkroeker

Auditioning
Real Name
todd
This just in .....
Went down and put in the disc yesterday and that was it. Thanks for the answeres. I would have put money on the inexpensive decoder before I asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks