Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
ken_mcalinden

Salem's Lot Blu-ray Review

Salems-Lot-Banner-1024x576.jpg

The 1979 television miniseries Salem's Lot was only the second filmed adaptation of a Stephen King novel (following Brian De Palma's film of Carrie from 1976). While its made for TV budget imposed certain limitations on the production, Producer Richard Kobritz wisely offered the project to Director Tobe Hooper who had shown a knack for squeezing maximum suspense and scares from...
Click here to read the original article.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Either I somehow missed it, or you left out one very important detail (to me at least) about this release: Does it include the program as it was originally broadcast in its separate two-part presentation (each with its own opening/closing segments and the re-cap at the start of Part 2) ???

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Either I somehow missed it, or you left out one very important detail (to me at least) about this release: Does it include the program as it was originally broadcast in its separate two-part presentation (each with its own opening/closing segments and the re-cap at the start of Part 2) ???

I'm sure Ken will chime in in a moment, but other reviews/posters have said that it's done as a continuous episode -- so no credits at the end of 'Part 1" and no recaps at the beginning of Part 2

Next question -- any hint at why almost nobody got store or online stock to fulfill orders. Only Bullmoose and FYE seem to have some shelf stock and virtually nobody is shipping items after a small % of preorders were fulfilled.

The other 2 Kings are a bit easier to find (BN B&M) and a couple different online stores, but still the majority of pre-orders have gone unfulfilled to date, Possibly Amoeba and a couple other small retailers, but all 3 are MIA from most major B&M and almost all the usual Online sources. Amazon doesn't even acknowledge that they've been released (or even have a release date)./

Last edited:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I'm sure Ken will chime in in a moment, but other reviews/posters have said that it's done as a continuous episode -- so no credits at the end of 'Part 1" and no recaps at the beginning of Part 2

Next question -- any hint at why almost nobody got store or online stock to fulfill orders. Only Bullmoose and FYE seem to have some shelf stock and virtually nobody is shipping items after a small % of preorders were fulfilled.

The other 2 Kings are a bit easier to find (BN B&M) and a couple different online stores, but still the majority of pre-orders have gone unfulfilled to date, Possibly Amoeba and a couple other small retailers, but all 3 are MIA from most major B&M and almost all the usual Online sources. Amazon doesn't even acknowledge that they've been released (or even have a release date)./
I thought I already had in the review thread, but it did not show up here, so I will post it again:

Nope. Only one set of opening credits. Only one set of closing credits. It is not hard to figure out where part one ends and part two begins, but other than a disc chapter stop, it is not marked in any way.

Other than one fade out and fade in during the climactic sequence in the Barlow house, most of the commercial breaks are not obvious, either.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
BTW - "It" review will be posting soon. Spoiler: It is presented in 4:3 rather than cropped 16:9, but does not look nearly as good as Salem's Lot.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought I already had in the review thread, but it did not show up here, so I will post it again:

You did -- I can see it if you click the Latest Review under the comments section. but not in this thread. Matt's question was posted there 2 hrs before it posted in this thread (I'll assume he reposted rather than there being a multi hour delay) so the forum thread and comments section appear to not be connected,

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wow really disappointing releases. IT is cut and both Salem's Lot and IT do not include the original opening and closing credits for each part. IMO these work better when viewed as part 1 and 2 at two separate viewings just as they originally aired. They are tedious when viewed as one 3 hour plus viewing. Glad I still have the Laserdisc of both that include the original and uncut versions. No Sale on both.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not disturbed about the opening and closing credits for both parts. I'm looking forward to this release once it's shipped to me.;)

MattHR

Screenwriter
You did -- I can see it if you click the Latest Review under the comments section. but not in this thread. Matt's question was posted there 2 hrs before it posted in this thread (I'll assume he reposted rather than there being a multi hour delay) so the forum thread and comments section appear to not be connected,

I reposted my message here only a few minutes after originally posting it in the review thread (after realizing it was actually a different thread), so for some reason there was a looooooong delay before it appeared here.

EDIT (a few minutes later)... Now I see that my reply (this one) also appears in the review thread, which only has two other replies, compared to the eight others here. I guess I don't understand how these cross-linked threads are supposed to work, or there is some technical problem occurring.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not disturbed about the opening and closing credits for both parts. I'm looking forward to this release once it's shipped to me.;)

If/When/Where -- i know some folks got their preorders from Bullmoose and a handful of folks from maybe early BN or Deep Discount orders, but most have been unfulfilled from all online sources and very few B&M got copies. Salems Lot has basically been bought at some FYE stores though many/most of them got none and Bullmoose stores for some reason seemed to get their shipments without delay. Some went the Amazon.ca route despite the cost just to get it in hand quicker. It and Cat's Eye have seen more daylight, but even most of those pre-orders have been undelivered. I did get the latter 2 at BN B&M yesterday.

Nobody seems to be able to figure out why the roll out has been so poorly done. By employee reports some Best Buy are supposed to get copies in store during the October Halloween sales, but nobody seems to have an expected date.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Wow really disappointing releases. IT is cut and both Salem's Lot and IT do not include the original opening and closing credits for each part. IMO these work better when viewed as part 1 and 2 at two separate viewings just as they originally aired. They are tedious when viewed as one 3 hour plus viewing. Glad I still have the Laserdisc of both that include the original and uncut versions. No Sale on both.

I guess I'm just going to hang on to my DVDs and skip the blu-rays, since I only watch them about every five years anyway. Had the blu-rays been restored to their original presentations and uncut, I'd double-dip (triple-dip if you count the laserdiscs, which I now really wish I had kept!).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nobody seems to be able to figure out why the roll out has been so poorly done. By employee reports some Best Buy are supposed to get copies in store during the October Halloween sales, but nobody seems to have an expected date.
Just a guess but I think Wal Mart will have them in their Halloween movie displays too. The combo of Stephen King and a low price make them a no-brainer for stores in October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks