What's new

DLP "Dead Pixel"? (1 Viewer)

Andy_Munich

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
My user ID is a clever riddle!
So, let's say a "friend of mine" bought an LG DLP LED projector last year which just recently went out of warranty.

Now let's say that last week that projector developed a bright, white pixel right in the sweet spot of the image. Just how screwed would my "friend" be? :unsure:

Andy_Munich

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yeah, I plan to do that on Monday. I was hoping against hope that someone had a "magic bullet" solution for this problem, but I realize it's quite different from a stuck pixel in an LCD. :(

Andy_Munich

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
So, the terrible saga continues. Did an out of warranty repair for $160+. Got the projector back. All good until two months out of warranty; guess what? Another dead pixel appears.

LG says “too bad, another $160 or more”. And apparently they offer nothing to protect against having to do this again and again.

Very disappointed.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That royally sucks, Andy! Sometimes, you'd swear that companies deliberately time these things, but it's just the way it goes, I suppose.

Here's hoping that you don't end up with any more dead pixels!

CHEERS! :)

Andy_Munich

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Found out today that LG will force you to pay for the same repair THREE TIMES before replacing your unit or reimbursing you for its cost.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had a similar issue with my Samsung LED DLP rear projection display about a year and a half ago. The dead pixel was right in the middle of the screen, and it drew my eye with every dark image. It would have cost me about $200 to attempt to repair it myself. I decided to move on to a 4K display instead, and gave away the Samsung.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had a Samsung DLP, too, (that I absolutely loved) and once I noticed one dead pixel, it wasn't long before several others appeared. I had already replaced it with a plasma, so it was already not my primary set, but that quickly got it banished to the electronics scrap heap and that's when I went 4K.

Andy_Munich

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yeah, the proliferation of dead pixels was what started occurring the last time; I'm sure it'll happen again. But in any case, one pixel is one too many.

I was really hoping this would be the unit to last a good while until the amount of quality 4K material hit my personal tipping point. Because upgrading the projector means upgrading the receiver and on and on...

Whatever I get next, whenever I get it, super extended warranties I suppose are in order.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had a Samsung DLP, too, (that I absolutely loved) and once I noticed one dead pixel, it wasn't long before several others appeared. I had already replaced it with a plasma, so it was already not my primary set, but that quickly got it banished to the electronics scrap heap and that's when I went 4K.

I really liked my Samsung, too. I just couldn't see putting $200 into an 8 year old set, though, and that's when I also went 4K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks