What's new

Howards End (1992) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have the Criterion of this title and it's not great, but who exactly is doing this one?

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I had to return my Criterion of this title because it turned bronze and wouldn't play. But they never sent me a replacement despite two emails about it. So if it's not Criterion this time, I'll be interested, but the link doesn't show any pre-order version.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I had to return my Criterion of this title because it turned bronze and wouldn't play. But they never sent me a replacement despite two emails about it. So if it's not Criterion this time, I'll be interested, but the link doesn't show any pre-order version.

It's a Sony release. Details from the listing:

Product Details

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So Sony ended up with the rights again via the long way around huh? That's funny.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I wonder if I should sell my Criterion Bluray now, or keep it until I see some screenshots of the Cohen one, and decide what color palette I like best.
Do you think with the upcoming release, there will be still people interested in buying the Criterion one?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I wonder if I should sell my Criterion Bluray now, or keep it until I see some screenshots of the Cohen one, and decide what color palette I like best.
Do you think with the upcoming release, there will be still people interested in buying the Criterion one?

No offense intended but after getting burned getting rid of an older disc before I even have the new one in hand (to determine whether or not it's even an upgrade) I can't imagine why anyone would contemplate offloading an existing disc 'on spec' this far out.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I can't imagine why anyone would contemplate offloading an existing disc 'on spec' this far out.

Many people do it generally. I haven't done it ever..*
But in this case I figured that if the Cohen gets released and is better, then the price of the Criterion one will drop dramatically, or even worse, noone will want it.
On the other hand, there are some Criterion collectors that want to own every Criterion release even if it's inferior to other releases.
eg. The Third Man.
Still many people are looking to buy the Criterion one, although there is the superior European Bluray.

I'm almost sure Howards End will be an upgrade in detail/grain etc. but I'm not sure if I'll like the colors, since many 4k scans are color corrected to a warmer color palette nowadays.

* Hmm.. now that I think of it this is a lie.
I have done it with TT's first release of Journey to the center of the earth.

Last edited:

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
This has been released... with an aspect ratio of 2.50:1 which seems to crop off the bottom. Anyone have any insight as to why this was done?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
No offense intended but after getting burned getting rid of an older disc before I even have the new one in hand (to determine whether or not it's even an upgrade) I can't imagine why anyone would contemplate offloading an existing disc 'on spec' this far out.

You were right eventually. ;)
I personally prefer the Criterion one so I'm keeping it!

edit: Here's a comparison using the other forum's screenshots.
(they aren't exact matches)
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/192541/picture:0

in my own opinion:

Cohen: I prefer the colors (in some instances) and it has a bit better detail (et. look at #3 the lines of the jacket of the man on the bottom right, or the tiles on the house's roof at #5),
But the compression is not so good for a 4k remaster, as in other similar blurays.
(eg. Criterion did much much better handling the grain in Room with a View: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=6596&d2=4043&s1=62165&s2=37561&i=2&l=0)

Criterion: Prefer the AR, saturation, contrast.
and, although it may be noise instead of grain, I prefer this look over the compressed Cohen (look eg. at the curtain on the right at #6, or the whole #4 screenshot)

Hope Cohen/Ivory doesn't do anything with Maurice's AR! :unsure:
And uses better compression.

also, something of not much significance but anyway:
I prefer Criterion's cover!;)
5698_large.jpg
142539_large.jpg

it looks more classy to my eyes.

Last edited:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
This has been released... with an aspect ratio of 2.50:1 which seems to crop off the bottom. Anyone have any insight as to why this was done?

The Cohen Media per an email I just received is indeed looking into the matter and will address this early next week.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I'm betting it was a mistake. As far as I can tell, the movie never showed 2.50:1, and the Blu-ray packaging doesn't offer some justification/explanation of that ratio.

Indeed, the packaging claims the movie's AR is 1.78:1!

I updated my review to show 2.50:1, but like many others, I initially referred to it as 2.35:1 because it "eyeballed" at that ratio. I never owned a prior version so I couldn't do direct comparisons. Without a clear statement from Cohen that the AR was 2.50:1, I went with the logical belief it was 2.35:1 because it looked like that.

Today I compared the ratio to that of a movie I knew to be 2.40:1 and confirmed that "Howards End" is clearly narrower.

Again, I have to believe this was a mistake. If the Blu-ray's packaging offered discussion/explanation of the odd AR, that'd be one thing, but outside of the erroneous 1.78:1 claim on the case, there's no citation of AR anywhere in the package, so I'm betting someone just screwed up...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Judging by those screencaps, there is also some cropping of the sides in addition to the top and bottom of the Cohen disc. Despite the improvements of color and contrast, I'll stick with my Criterion disc, which I had to pay OOP prices for a few years back.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Howard's End was shot in 4-Perf Super 35 and composed to 2.20:1 and 2.40:1 for its 70 and 35mm engagements respectively. Not sure how Cohen ended up with such a strange crop.

The one problem with keeping your Criterion is its one of the discs effected by the layer failure bronzing issue that affected many of their early disks and they aren't repressing that title.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The one problem with keeping your Criterion is its one of the discs effected by the layer failure bronzing issue that affected many of their early disks and they aren't repressing that title.

I think it depends on the pressing. The problematic Criterion discs all seemed to be pressed sometime in the spring of 2010 or thereabouts, which would have been at least a second pressing of this title. To my knowledge, all of the "always a problem" titles all had their FIRST pressings during the trouble time. HE was a disc with problems only reported "some" of the time. Those who got the title when it first came out (late 2009) haven't reported any issues with the title that I'm aware of. I guess what I'm saying is (although I can certainly be wrong) that, if it was going to happen it should have happened by now. If it hasn't happened yet then I don't think you got a bad one.

I just pulled mine out the other night (to help me decide whether or not to pop for the Cohen) and it still isn't showing any signs of damage. I'm going to stick with the Criterion (for as long as I can, anyway) because I haven't been overwhelmed by any of the Cohen caps I've seen thus far.

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I wonder
if the AR turns out to be an error (which I doubt it) it would mean that saying that this or that BLuray is director approved, doesn't say anything in reality about the final quality of a disc.
I'm just saying this because this is adopted regularly as an excuse to defend a controversial release and is the beginning of many "internet quarrels"..

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I think it depends on the pressing. The problematic Criterion discs all seemed to be pressed sometime in the spring of 2010 or thereabouts, which would have been at least a second pressing of this title. To my knowledge, all of the "always a problem" titles all had their FIRST pressings during the trouble time. HE was a disc with problems only reported "some" of the time. Those who got the title when it first came out (late 2009) haven't reported any issues with the title that I'm aware of. I guess what I'm saying is (although I can certainly be wrong) that, if it was going to happen it should have happened by now. If it hasn't happened yet then I don't think you got a bad one.

I just pulled mine out the other night (to help me decide whether or not to pop for the Cohen) and it still isn't showing any signs of damage. I'm going to stick with the Criterion (for as long as I can, anyway) because I haven't been overwhelmed by any of the Cohen caps I've seen thus far.

HOWARDS END was Criterion's first Blu-ray, or among the very first. Due to rights issues it was only briefly available, so briefly I didn't pick it up (and I pick up every Criterion that interests me)...

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Just looked at HOWARD'S END. 2.50!!! What were they thinking? Will Cohen acknowledge the error of misframing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks