What's new

New Alfred Hitchcock Anthology Series (1 Viewer)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
-And, while they're at it, the Hitchcock-produced episodes of Suspicion (23 episodes... one of which, "Four O'Clock", was directed by Hitch) and Ford Startime (just 1 episode,"Incident at a Corner", but it was also directed by Hitch --in color!).

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
......If this was in any way, to get universal to take stock in the quality programing that Alfred Hitchcock Presents, was and still is, and start a similar restoration process and releases of the original series, the way it has never been seen. Like Twilight Zone, quality writers, name recognition directors, and feature, both big and small screen stars. why this hasn't gotten a proper bells and whistles blu release by now, baffels me.

if Mr. Columbus can stir Uni to do something with it, then I am all for it, took som time but Battlestar Glactica turned out to be a pretty sweet set, I would buy a complete series of AHP & AHH combined, just do us a favor and don't try to make a widescreen version .:D

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
So this will be in the vein of American Crime Story or American Horror Story following one story per season. There are so many great fiction stories or books under the Hitchcock banner of anthologies to choose from, they better do this right. And, yes, where's that Season 7 DVD for us Region A viewers?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Sean, this new Chris Columbus series sounds like it might have potential...depending on how it's conceptualized... and, as HItchcock himself would say, "Executed"... ha, ha...

Peter, it would be great if those Suspicion episodes could see the light of day for Hitchcock completeists...and that Ford Startime color episode sounds fascinating...wow, that was a very unusual series wasn't it? Checking IMDB, I see it alternated musical variety shows (George Burns, Dean Martin, Jack Paar, Ethel Merman, Tennesee Ernie Ford, Cyd Charisse, Nanette Fabray, Mitch Miller) with some drama, as in Hitchcock's episode with Vera Miles and George Peppard...I see that Jerry Lewis did Jolson in the "Jazz Singer" ...Tony Curtis ("The Juggler"), Rex Harrison and Hermione Baddeley ("Dear Arthur"), Alec Guiness and Charles Coburn ("Wicked scheme of Jebal Deeks")... an election year (1960) civics special hosted by Eddie Albert and featuring candidates John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon themselves...along with Adlai Stevenson, Nelson Rockefeller, Fred Clark and Mike Wallace...apparently, Sing Along with Mitch got it's start as a spin off from Ford Startime... wow, they certainly don't do television like that anymore...

I, of course, wish that Universal would do the right thing and issue Alfred Hitchcock Presents / Alfred Hitchcock Hour in R1...but I'm also glad I didn't wait for that to finally happen...I've been watching my R2 pressed Fabulous Films sets of AHP seasons 1 and 7, and AHH seasons 1,2 and 3...beautifully remastered and complete, they look as good as Universal's own R1 sets of AHP seasons 2 - 6...and anything Warner Archive or CBS have remastered lately...the very marginal PAL speed-up doesn't bother me at all... if you have the 4% timesped R1 Image sets of Combat!, the viewing experience would be about the same as viewing those...I purchased all of these for about $160 U.S. shipped from Amazon UK...if you have a region free player, I would consider them...

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
that Ford Startime color episode sounds fascinating...wow, that was a very unusual series wasn't it? Checking IMDB, I see it alternated musical variety shows (George Burns, Dean Martin, Jack Paar, Ethel Merman, Tennesee Ernie Ford, Cyd Charisse, Nanette Fabray, Mitch Miller) with some drama, as in Hitchcock's episode with Vera Miles and George Peppard...I see that Jerry Lewis did Jolson in the "Jazz Singer" ...Tony Curtis ("The Juggler"), Rex Harrison and Hermione Baddeley ("Dear Arthur"), Alec Guiness and Charles Coburn ("Wicked scheme of Jebal Deeks")... an election year (1960) civics special hosted by Eddie Albert and featuring candidates John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon themselves...along with Adlai Stevenson, Nelson Rockefeller, Fred Clark and Mike Wallace...apparently, Sing Along with Mitch got it's start as a spin off from Ford Startime... wow, they certainly don't do television like that anymore...

Also, a live version of Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw", starring Ingrid Bergman and directed by John Frankenheimer, a couple of years before Jack Clayton's superb big-screen adaptation with Deborah Kerr, The Innocents (1961). Luckily, TV Land (in much better days... mid/late-1990s) aired the surviving kinescope a couple of times... they also ran "Incident at a Corner" and the Suspicion episode, "Four O'Clock".

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks Peter and Matt for that information...Ford Startime certainly seems emblematic of the kind of prestige programming that first rank sponsors would want to be associated with, and a marquee program for the "Tiffany" network that CBS once aspired to be...I know the "Jazz Singer" episode with Jerry Lewis was at one time available on dvd...It is to cry at the thought of so much great tv resigned unavailable and unwatched in vaults somewhere...and, more so, to lament and rage against what TV Land devolved to...wretched...

I hope those kinescope films are safe, and transferred to secure and enduring media...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks