What's new

Guy Madison Westerns (France) (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Standard DVD releases of "The Hard Man' and "Reprisal" in France, earlier this year. I ordered these releases yesterday.

Have any members here already viewed these releases?

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Reprisal (Rappresaglia) is also available from Amazon Italy - solid 4:3 image with no subtitle issues. I also recently bought Relentless (Il Vagabondo Della Citta Morta) from Italy. I think it may be a port of the French release but doesn't have the forced subs of those DVDs - the image is superb.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Reprisal (Rappresaglia) is also available from Amazon Italy - solid 4:3 image with no subtitle issues. I also recently bought Relentless (Il Vagabondo Della Citta Morta) from Italy. I think it may be a port of the French release but doesn't have the forced subs of those DVDs - the image is superb.

Many thanks. I looked up those two on Amazon Italy and saw how many Westerns are available on DVD there. Face Of A Fugitive, for example, a very good film that is almost forgotten today. Very interesting in view of the appalling German disc is L'Alba Del Gran Giorno, better known to us as Great Day In The Morning. I wonder if it's a different master.

Attachments

• 81UQ3ZIoRHL._SL1409_.jpg
    81UQ3ZIoRHL._SL1409_.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 105

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Hi, Robin. I saw the Tourneur but haven't ordered it as I've heard the Warner Archive is working on a release of that one at some stage - I'll hold fire for now.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Hi, Robin. I saw the Tourneur but haven't ordered it as I've heard the Warner Archive is working on a release of that one at some stage - I'll hold fire for now.

Ah! Where did you hear that? I'll hold fire too if Warner Archive are going to release a disc. (I trust them a lot more than I do some of these unknown European outfits!)

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
HaHa, you want to pin me down and I honestly can't remember now. It's one of those things that I seem to recall from chats/comments somewhere or other. Either way, I feel confident it will appear in due course.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Livius, thanks for contributing. I'm thinking I might double-up with those Italian releases, and then put them in multi-disc cases with the French releases.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
All four of the DVDs mentioned above (Reprisal/Rapressaglia, Relentless/Il Vagabondo Della Citta Morta, Face of a Fugitive/Il volto del fuggiasco and Great Day in the Morning/L'alba del gran giorno) are counterfeits from A&R Productions, a 100% pirate outfit.

Regardless of their legal status they'll be cheap, low bitrate transfers and, if there are no official releases available to steal from, likely sourced from VHS or at best, TV broadcasts. Anyone still choosing to buy them while aware of their provenance deserves all they get.

Last edited:

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I have no idea if the A&R releases are kosher or not, I figure it's up to the retailer to decide and Amazon have no issues at the moment.
BTW, that Reprisal disc you linked to, Brent, is an entirely different movie.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Again, I'm not going to make any comment on the legitimacy of a given label. For one thing, it's a public forum, and aside from that, I simply don't possess the necessary facts to make that kind of call.
All I can say is that I found both Reprisal and Relentless looked very good, the latter especially so and it looks very similar to captures I've seen of the French release.

Last edited:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Again, I'm not going to make any comment on the legitimacy of a given label. For one thing, it's a public forum, and aside from that, I simply don't possess the necessary facts to make that kind of call.

So, please, be careful instead.

We simply don't want "promotions" of illegal copies to be made here on the forum.

Cees

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I'm not "promoting" anything - I merely made mention of an alternative to a product already referred to and its availability on a major international retail site, nor am I making claims about the legitimacy of any companies without offering any backup on public fora. It's been a long time since I regularly contributed here and, seeing the way standards appear to be applied - "promotion" that's nothing of the kind is alleged and then censured while unsupported claims are waved through - I doubt I'll be back in a hurry.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Livius, I didn't say you were promoting anything.
I clearly cautioned, though. It was based on your remarks.

No need to leave.

Cees

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
A site search of terms like "pirate" and "bootleg" will throw up literally dozens of threads in which less conscientious collectors advocate buying pirated discs and are advised against doing so. Try here for starters. This site rightfully has a policy of not promoting said releases.

For the record, making mention of something, especially with a positive slant, is the same as promoting it. Remember: "There is no such thing as bad publicity" or similarly, see Wikipedia: Succès de scandale.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks