What's new

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (June 22, 2018)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Title: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

Tagline: The park is gone

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Juan Antonio Bayona

Cast: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Rafe Spall, Justice Smith, Daniella Pineda, James Cromwell, Toby Jones, Ted Levine, Jeff Goldblum, BD Wong, Geraldine Chaplin, Isabella Sermon, Peter Jason, Charlie Rawes, Kevin Layne, Robert Emms, John Schwab, Sam Redford, Patrick Crowley, Alex Dower, Honey Holmes, Neil Bishop, Philippa Thomas, Ronan Summers, Cory Peterson, Jeremy Gilbert, Victor Gardener, Eric Kofi Abrefa, Ben Peel, Gil Kolirin, Mitchell L. Johnson, Paul Sockett, Daryl Kwan, Michael Papajohn, Daniel Stisen, Ian Copley-Johnson

Release: 2018-06-06

Runtime: 128

Plot: A volcanic eruption threatens the remaining dinosaurs on the island of Isla Nublar, where the creatures have freely roamed for several years after the demise of an animal theme park known as Jurassic World. Claire Dearing, the former park manager, has now founded the Dinosaur Protection Group, an organization dedicated to protecting the dinosaurs. To help with her cause, Claire has recruited Owen Grady, a former dinosaur trainer who worked at the park, to prevent the extinction of the dinosaurs once again.

Executive Producer/co-writer Colin Trevorrow reveals some info about Jurassic World 2. I'm relieved to hear about what they will NOT be doing in the sequel, which will be directed by J.A. Bayona (The Orphanage, The Impossible and the upcoming December 2016 film, A Monster Calls). Hiring a talented director with some horror chops sounds like a good move:

http://collider.com/jurassic-world-...ium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial#images

Last edited by a moderator:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the most surprising thing that I found out in that story is that there's a Jurassic Park podcast (and it's big enough to get Colin Trevorrow as a guest!). Not like JP isn't popular, I just didn't think there was enough material to generate a regular conversation around either.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Which is why I titled the thread Jurassic WORLD 2, not Jurassic PARK 2. ;) Once the film has an official name I'll get it changed.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I like that they are going for "more suspenseful and scary" but I am a bit disappointed that they are abandoning the idea they had for the sequel. I do hope the move away from the Park and island settings, I'd love to see the Dinos wrecking havoc on the mainland.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm happy if they're dumping the militarization angle. That was never that interesting to me.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy if they're dumping the militarization angle. That was never that interesting to me.

Yeah, the "government wants a perfect weapon" has been done to death. However, don't take that to mean they won't introduce another comparatively worn plot element. It seems that with movies like there's there's often an irrestable urge to have a human villain.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought for sure the next one was either going to be called "Jurassic War" or "Jurassic World War." Also glad not to see this angle pursued.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Shouldn't this thread be called "Untitled Jurassic Park 5 Film"? Jurassic World is merely Jurassic Park 4.

I was underwhelmed by Jurassic World. I liked Chris Pratt as the lead, but the script had huge logic holes. The one thing I couldn't get over was the action that set the plot in motion: they open the cage which lets the big dinosaur out because they don't see it in there. The dinosaur is of course hiding in the cage and escapes when it sees the opening. The dinosaur has a tracking device, but they don't check it until after the door is wide open. There's no version of that idea that makes sense to me. If you don't see the dinosaur, check the tracker immediately before unlocking the cage. All of the action in the film is predicated on smart people suddenly acting uncharacteristically dumb.

Compare that to the original Jurassic Park, where the inciting action is set off by a greedy employee who doesn't give a shit about his employers negligently leaving the locks off so he can commit his greed and try to get away with it. That's believable to me. What happened in Jurassic World wasn't.

So I just didn't buy anything in Jurassic World after that setup. I hope that Jurassic Park 5 will try harder in that regard, but with it being scripted by the same team, I don't have high hopes.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Shouldn't this thread be called "Untitled Jurassic Park 5 Film"? Jurassic World is merely Jurassic Park 4.

I was underwhelmed by Jurassic World. I liked Chris Pratt as the lead, but the script had huge logic holes. The one thing I couldn't get over was the action that set the plot in motion: they open the cage which lets the big dinosaur out because they don't see it in there. The dinosaur is of course hiding in the cage and escapes when it sees the opening. The dinosaur has a tracking device, but they don't check it until after the door is wide open. There's no version of that idea that makes sense to me. If you don't see the dinosaur, check the tracker immediately before unlocking the cage. All of the action in the film is predicated on smart people suddenly acting uncharacteristically dumb.

Compare that to the original Jurassic Park, where the inciting action is set off by a greedy employee who doesn't give a shit about his employers negligently leaving the locks off so he can commit his greed and try to get away with it. That's believable to me. What happened in Jurassic World wasn't.

So I just didn't buy anything in Jurassic World after that setup. I hope that Jurassic Park 5 will try harder in that regard, but with it being scripted by the same team, I don't have high hopes.

It is dumb, but just to play devils advocate, didn't they also look for the heat signature and didn't find it? And was it before of after the I.R. clawed out the tracking device?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It clawed out the tracking device after it escaped from the cage - they found that in the forest area.

I think the sequence of events was: didn't see the Dino visually, didn't see it on infrared, so they opened the doors, then when they didn't see it while going inside the cage, they checked the tracker which showed it was in the cage - and that's when it got out, while the cage was open as they all stood inside. Being that checking the tracker was a ten second walkie talkie call, I don't know how that's not the first thing you do. It immediately made the entire "universe" of the film unbelievable to me.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
It was dumb because they couldn't check out the location of the I.R. from the station where it was being held. They couldn't see it in the pen and there were claw marks going up the wall, so it looked like it had escaped. After the men entered the pen and the Dino was discovered to still be in there, the door was opened by one of the men so he could escape. He didn't want to run back through the thick foliage and towards the Dino. They tried to close the door before the I.R. got to it but couldn't in time, so it got out. That scene didn't stop me from enjoying the movie, The Lost World had a lot more dumb stuff in it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To each his own. Unfortunately, it took me out of the movie and I never found my way back in. I absolutely loved the first one, but I had major issues with Lost World and JP3 as well. The first movie sold its concept completely to me, whereas each movie since I failed to believe the story being told. Jurassic World had a pretty decent idea but the execution left a lot to be desired for me.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I like JP3 a lot, yes it has it's problems but I can overlook them. I hope the next movie can go without the dumb stuff. I'm getting tired of Dinosaurs on an island.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hope the next movie can go without the dumb stuff.

That's my biggest wish - give me characters I care about behaving in ways consistent with the positions they have, and I'll enjoy it. Whether the effects are practical or digital doesn't matter nearly as much to me as whether I care about the people onscreen and believe in what they're doing. The first movie did that beautifully. The most recent came closest of all the sequels to keeping that feeling but fell short for me long before it ended. Certainly it was impressive visually, but I find these days I don't worry about the visuals anymore, I worry about the script.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I titled the thread the way that I did because Jurassic World, while it's technically the 4th film in the series, was the first movie in the franchise to drop the word "Park" from practically everything associated with it. You could also complain that they should have titled World Jurassic Park 4, but they did not. Again, when the production has an official title I'll ask that it be changed here as well. Let's move on, shall we? I think we all know what it is we're discussing here. ;)

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hollywood is doing their best to churn out sequels while not reminding you that you're watching one. So titles are very fluid. Rocky 6 was Rocky Balboa, Bourne 5 was just Jason Bourne.

Hollywood also loves the trilogy, so I think the reference as JW2 is fine as it's the second film in the JW trilogy vs. the original JP trilogy.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hollywood is doing their best to churn out sequels while not reminding you that you're watching one. So titles are very fluid. Rocky 6 was Rocky Balboa, Bourne 5 was just Jason Bourne.
Yep. Ironically, it doesn't seem necessary because, as evidenced by what is making the most money, the audience is very happy with seeing the same thing over and over.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks