What's new

Horn Sections, whatcha got? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I need more bands with awesome horn sections. Who's your favorite? Bonus points for those actively touring or putting out new music in 2016.

Some faves:
Blues Brothers
Chicago
The Eagles
Muca Pazza
The Heavy
Mariachi El Bronx

I just discovered Polyrhythmics today, highly recommended:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Though the size of the horn section expands and contracts, the 2012-2014 version of Bruce Springsteen's mighty E Street Band was something to behold. They're back down to a single sax player for the current tour, but oh man those were some fantastic sounding shows when he had the extra players. (If you have the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 25th Anniversary concert CD/DVD/BD, that's from 2009 and Bruce has some extra horns there too.)

Billy Joel always has phenomenal musicians as well. He usually has one full time sax player, a trumpet player, and a multi-instrumentalist who plays a variety of horns, percussion and guitar throughout - though he'll usually beef it up with some extra players on special occasions (like the Shea Stadium concert from 2008).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Neil Young's "Blue Note Cafe" album is his blues period captured live. The horns are great and Neil plays some of the best, most emotive guitar of his career. Well worth a listen, it's becoming a favourite of mine.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
If you look at jazz artists/bands, you'll probably find a few. Armstrong, Ellington, Basie, and so on, and so forth.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Check out Sturgill Simpson. Ostensibly a country artist, his material really covers the full range of American roots music including blues & rock. His current touring band rocks hard and includes a 3-man horn section. They tore the roof off of 30 Rock last week on their SNL appearance (the Felicity Jones-hosted episode) - best SNL musical performance in recent memory.

Here they are performing his rave-up "Call To Arms" at last year's Farm Aid. If this doesn't get your blood pumping, you're probably dead. :D

:rock:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Anyone watch the CNN doc about Chicago that was on recently.

Pretty good

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I scoured my collection, and sticking to rock-ish (meaning no big band, jazz, and classical) the only band I could come up with that wasn't already mentioned is Supertramp. I believe they're still playing, so I want those bonus points!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks