What's new

Mill Creek cardboard release workaround (2 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
You probably don't realize this, but I broke with tradition and gave in and purchased one of those Mill Creek cardboard lot releases-- the 12-disc one of I Dream of Jeannie (1965-70 NBC comedy w/Barbara Eden and Larry Hagman). I found a workaround on that that means that you don't have to have the cardboard sleeves it comes with: get as many paper envelopes as there are discs (for this one, there were 12), carefully extract each disc from each side of each cardboard sleeve sheet, and put the discs in the envelopes. Stack the envelopes evenly together, and place them in the portion of the box that formerly held the cardboard sleeve sheets. That way, you can have the discs well-protected, and you will no longer have to have the sleeve sheets!

Has anyone here done this with one of those Mill Creek cardboard lot releases, or at the very least heard of it?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I found the original Sony release of that title onsale last year for less than the Mill Creek so I just went with that (there, they're packaged on a spindle like a new pack of blank discs) .. But will definitely keep this in mind if I buy a Mill Creek set in the future!

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
I don't like the packaging of many DVD sets so what I usually do is putting each disc in a thin jewel CD case and I'm doing a cover (front and back) for each jewel CD case (for those interested to see how it looks, send me a message and I'll send you a picture of it)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
When Millcreek released their Starsky and Hutch complete series version, the discs came in black paper envelopes with plastic see-through windows. I don't know why they switched to cardboard sleeves. Seems it would be more expensive to print and they like cutting corners.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
When Millcreek released their Starsky and Hutch complete series version, the discs came in black paper envelopes with plastic see-through windows. I don't know why they switched to cardboard sleeves. Seems it would be more expensive to print and they like cutting corners.
These are generic Mill Creek cardboard inserts ...

81dK32LlsaL._SL256_.jpg
for me, the solution was to buy 6 disk DVD cases from Fry's Electronics http://www.frys.com/product/3829527 (others have them as well)
and put the box covering over the Mill Creek disks over them - in one case there were too many disks, so i rubber banded the extra case to the others - not elegant but more stable than the MillCreek packaging

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
These are generic Mill Creek cardboard inserts ...

81dK32LlsaL._SL256_.jpg
for me, the solution was to buy 6 disk DVD cases from Fry's Electronics http://www.frys.com/product/3829527 (others have them as well)
and put the box covering over the Mill Creek disks over them - in one case there were too many disks, so i rubber banded the extra case to the others - not elegant but more stable than the MillCreek packaging

I have that packaging for the Good Times set, I like it better that the stacked discs in a bowl like packaging that Sony used. The only thing I don't like is how thin and flimsy the outer box is on these Mill Creek releases. I haven't replaced it with cases.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have that packaging for the Good Times set, I like it better that the stacked discs in a bowl like packaging that Sony used. The only thing I don't like is how thin and flimsy the outer box is on these Mill Creek releases. I haven't replaced it with cases.
Seeing the cases looking like one of he Yankovic's accordions in the store (as I have) might change your mind ;) !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks