What's new

Inside WB's condensed Flintstones all-in-one... (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Here's an unboxing of WB's condensed all-in-one of The Flintstones (1960-66 ABC cartoon comedy about "the modern Stone Age family"):

From what I've seen in here, I think that this Flintstones all-in-one is miles above the one in the faux-rock packaging, despite the flaws shown in this video-- would you think the same way?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Wow! 22 minutes "unboxing" a DVD box??

I do love the Flintstones and have fond memories of watching first run but just saying, 22 minutes to talk about the box and contents. :wacko:

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, IMO, because he goes into detail about everything you're getting. If I was to consider this release or anything else, I'd want to know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth-- the 411, as people in Los Angeles and the entertainment industry call it.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Oh I know. Me, I just want to know what episodes are included and the rest is for the recycle bin. If I get to watch it all in all it's glory, that's what makes my day.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Wow! 22 minutes "unboxing" a DVD box??

I do love the Flintstones and have fond memories of watching first run but just saying, 22 minutes to talk about the box and contents. :wacko:

Agreed, but what the heck... kind of nice to know some folks care enough to go to that sort of trouble, for those who want that much obsessive detail.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I bought the Complete Series Set in 2013 from Amazon. I got the one in the TV Box and I thought it was fine except as the video says, I had to put it on top of the cabinet

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I have the season sets that came out several years ago, each season has one double sided disc but that's OK, not a big deal. One question though, does this new complete series set have the uncut version of the 3rd season episode "The Big Move"? The 3rd season DVD from back in 2005 has an edited version of this episode, I ended up recording the uncut version from Boomerang.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I have the season sets that came out several years ago, each season has one double sided disc but that's OK, not a big deal. One question though, does this new complete series set have the uncut version of the 3rd season episode "The Big Move"? The 3rd season DVD from back in 2005 has an edited version of this episode, I ended up recording the uncut version from Boomerang.
I did the same. I have not bought any of the "Diamond Collection" Hanna-Barbera reissue sets, but the "word on the street" is they are simply the same masters as before without the bonus features. I would imagine this is the same. But if anyone knows differently, please let us know!

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Oh, how I would love this series with the original H-B logos at the end and some period ads and network spots. But this is better 'n nuttin'

As I recall, the Hanna-Barbera name was shown as part of the credits on "The Flintstones," and sometimes the Screen Gems name was in there too. I am pretty sure this predated the zooming xylophone shield (though I do remember seeing the "dancing sticks" at the end of some).

I don't know if you have the previous sets or not, but several of the commercials were on there as extras. The Winston cigarettes ones were on a Laserdisc, but didn't make the DVDs.

You know what I would have liked, and this is pretty crazy, but even just as extras, I would like to have had the various versions of the opening which used to appear in syndication (and, I'm told, late 1960s Saturday morning reruns) with the 1966 copyright added -- there were a few different versions of this; in one of them, the line "through the courtesy of Fred's two feet" was cut out, throwing the following audio out of sync. Don't know if this is true or not, but I have read it was cut because someone thought "Fred's two feet" sounded like "ABC."

Also, a question regarding the episode "Seeing Doubles" with the Great Gazoo, which was one of my favorites: whenever I saw this episode "back in the day," the closing had "Open Your Heart And Let The Sunshine In" instead of the regular Flintstones theme song, but it doesn't have that on the DVD. I remember George "Jetson" O'Hanlon being credited as the writer of that episode, and I thought it was cool that "George Jetson" wrote for the Flintstones. This was in the 16mm days before they remastered the shows on tape and screwed around (more) with the closings.

Was that the correct closing, i.e. how it would have originally aired?

(EDIT: I found it -- complete with the Screen Gems "toilet paper logo," as I call it):

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Also, a question regarding the episode "Seeing Doubles" with the Great Gazoo, which was one of my favorites: whenever I saw this episode "back in the day," the closing had "Open Your Heart And Let The Sunshine In" instead of the regular Flintstones theme song, but it doesn't have that on the DVD.

OMG this isn't on the DVDs??? I remember this VIVIDLY in syndication growing up. It was an amazing and unique ending and I honestly hate this sort of edit. What does it hurt to keep it? What do they gain by changing it? That alone is probably gonna keep me from rushing to buy this.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
OMG this isn't on the DVDs??? I remember this VIVIDLY in syndication growing up. It was an amazing and unique ending and I honestly hate this sort of edit. What does it hurt to keep it? What do they gain by changing it? That alone is probably gonna keep me from rushing to buy this.

The closing in question is on the set, but not at the end of "Seeing Doubles." It appears at the end of two other episodes, with different credits which I am guessing are specific to the episode to which it's attached:

#153 Royal Rubble

#156 Fred Goes Ape

This is not simply the same closing cut onto different episodes. The credits are different.

(I should clarify that I am talking about the old Season 6 set. I don't have the complete series release.)

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I don't know if you have the previous sets or not, but several of the commercials were on there as extras. The Winston cigarettes ones were on a Laserdisc, but didn't make the DVDs.

Did any of the releases ever have any extras relating to the contest to name Fred & Wilma's baby? I remember at the end of many episodes there'd be a contest announcement to name the Flintstone's baby and a winner would get a prize of some sort. I don't know for a fact, but I doubt they waited around for a contest winner to name the baby, but rather waited until they got an entry (or entries?) with the name they'd already selected. Anyone know anything about this contest?

There was also a contest during the run of I Dream of Jeannie. There are some episodes when Jeannie doesn't know when her birthday was and there was a contest to guess what day her birthday was on and some sort of prize offered. I entered that one, I recall. If you remember, her birthday turned out to be April 1st.

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
They have HD masters on Boomerang streaming probably not new and possibly upconverts but they look noticeably better than the DVDs. So I would wait for a possible Blu Ray before buying this.
Agreed. Same here. I'm hoping the we will see more HD HB after the Johnny Quest comes out, I just hope we don't have to wait to long. I'd say Scooby-Doo Where Are You and The Flintstones are a given, possibly The Jetsons. What else do you think they might consider for Blu-ray?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks