What's new

Samsung tv, cable box, Onkyo (1 Viewer)

fidola13

Auditioning
Real Name
Sara Turner
I need some advice on how to connect my current older surround sound system with a newer smarttv so that I can have audio from the apps thru my system.

I’ve done a lot of reading but there’s an overwhelming amount of information not all of it consistent.

Onkyo TX-SR600 reciever
Samsung 6 Series Smart tv
Generic set top cable box

1st question: should the output from cable box go directly to tv or receiver? I’m using a HDMI cable to the tv at the moment. Then an optical cable to the receiver for audio. (The cable guy set this up).

The receiver doesn’t have HDMI connection ports or even ARC just optical, Component, Analog, S Video and Coaxial.

I also have a Mitsubishi DVD player attached already to the receiver using component connectors.

Thanks for any help.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hi Sara and welcome to HTF!

There are greater audio experts on this forum than me who can chime in with better informed opinions, but I'm not sure what you're asking for is possible.

In general, you want to have all of your components flow through your receiver, and then have that single connection from the receiver into the TV. It sounds like it may be upgrading to a newer receiver which has HDMI connections - there are other members here more qualified to make recommendations on the best deal for receivers, but it's possible to do this without breaking the bank.

The more difficult issue is getting the audio from the smart tv apps to the receiver - in general, smart tvs aren't well equipped to send audio away from the TV into another device. Some TVs offer this through ARC, but it doesn't always work, and it usually downmixes everything to 2.0 stereo, regardless of the original audio format. I'm not sure that it's technically possible to get the TV to send a surround mix from one of its own apps to a receiver. But before giving up hope, I'd suggest waiting for one of the more qualified HTF audio experts to chime in.

Mostly, I just wanted to welcome you to our forum!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sara,

If you plan to keep your existing receiver, then the cable guy setup your cable box correctly -- HDMI to the TV for video, and optical to the receiver for audio. As for the streaming apps built into your Samsung display, check to see if there is some sort of digital audio output for the TV -- either optical or coaxial. If so, connect that digital output to one of the available inputs on you receiver.

For the DVD player, since it is connected to the receiver via component video cables, I will assume you also had a component video output going to your old TV. If so, those component video cables will connect to the component video input on your Samsung display -- if it has such an input. If not, then look for either a s-video or single composite input and use that. For simplicity, I would just run the video directly from the DVD player into the appropriate TV video input, bypassing your receiver.

Good luck, and welcome to HTF!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It may be time to upgrade your system to make things simpler. Let's face it, the receiver is close to 16 years old.

My question is - what speaker configuration are you using currently? 2.0 stereo, 5.1, or 6.1?

This is what I would recommend:

Receivers:
Onkyo TX-SR383: $249.00 on Amazon
Denon AVR-S530BT: $229.00 on Amazon
Yamaha RX-V385: $279.95 on Amazon

Blu-ray Player:
Sony BDP-S3700: $69.88 on Amazon
Samsung BD-J5700: $64.65 on Amazon

You could try and use the ARC connection between the receiver and TV (using the HDMI out on the receiver to ARC-Compatible HDMI input on the TV), but, frankly, I've never been able to get it to work 100% of the time to any great satisfaction. I usually just use the streaming apps included on the Blu-ray player or use a separate streaming device like a Roku. I personally do not like the Amazon Fire streaming products, as I find them more limiting with regards to available services.

Roku Streaming Stick - up to 1080p streaming: $48.97 on Amazon
Roku Streaming Stick+ - up to 4K/UHD streaming with HDR: $68.69 on Amazon

You will also need a total of 3 HDMI cables, one from the Blu-ray player to the receiver, one from the cable box to the receiver, and one from the receiver to the TV.

AmazonBasics 6ft HDMI Cable: $6.99 on Amazon

Roughly, you are looking at $370-$415 for the upgrades, and you would use the receiver remote to switch between components. You can then think about upgrading speakers down the road.

fidola13

Auditioning
Real Name
Sara Turner
I need some advice on how to connect my current older surround sound system with a newer smarttv so that I can have audio from the apps thru my system.

I’ve done a lot of reading but there’s an overwhelming amount of information not all of it consistent.

Onkyo TX-SR600 reciever
Samsung 6 Series Smart tv
Generic set top cable box

1st question: should the output from cable box go directly to tv or receiver? I’m using a HDMI cable to the tv at the moment. Then an optical cable to the receiver for audio. (The cable guy set this up).

The receiver doesn’t have HDMI connection ports or even ARC just optical, Component, Analog, S Video and Coaxial.

I also have a Mitsubishi DVD player attached already to the receiver using component connectors.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for all the replies.
The cable guy had an optical cable plugged into the cable box then to the receiver (in addition to the HDMI connection) so I unplugged it from the cable box and into the optical out on the tv which then sent the audio signal from the tv to the receiver.

So for now I’ll keep this 16 year old receiver. Not much lasts this long nowadays lol!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Like Scott said, the way the cable guy had it connected was the best way to go. You want to avoid running your audio through the TV and then on to the receiver. The only audio you want running from the TV is from the apps in the TV. So, you want a second optical cable, assuming your receiver has two optical inputs.

EDIT: I just checked, and yes, it has two optical inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks