What's new

Satanic Rites of Dracula (1974)- coming from WAC (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA (1974)
NEW 2018 1080p HD remaster!
Run Time 88:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.78:1, 16 X 9 WIDESCREEN
COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 25

A dying man’s report of a ritual black mass stirs Britain’s security chief into action, and a mansion filled with young vampire girls is soon discovered. And this is but the first twist in a labyrinth of horror. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee pair up for the final Hammer Dracula in this follow-up to Dracula A.D. 1972. In this go-round, the Count (Christopher Lee, naturally) follows a more pulpish, super-villainous playbook, posing as a millionaire industrialist alive and well and living in London while secretly brewing up a batch of super-plague in a quest to destroy the world. Mixing Satanists, spies and sci-fi, the film makes viewers glad that Peter Cushing is on hand to solidly anchor the more outré elements as the effortlessly expositioning Dr. Van Helsing. Lee, in turn, has more dialogue as Dracula than was the norm, and ratchets up the evil to the nth degree. Joanna Lumley (Absolutely Fabulous) costars. Also known as Count Dracula and His Vampire Bride.
FB_IMG_1537306763885.jpg

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think The Horror Of Dracula is a classic, & Brides Of Dracula & Dracula, Prince Of Darkness are very good, but the Dracula's that came after are a waste of time, well for me anyway. Good news for fans though.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think The Horror Of Dracula is a classic, & Brides Of Dracula & Dracula, Prince Of Darkness are very good, but the Dracula's that came after are a waste of time, well for me anyway. Good news for fans though.
I think Dracula has Risen from the Grave and Taste the Blood of Dracula are better than Dracula, Prince of darkness the mute Dracula and the 45 minutes before we see Dracula after the recap both weaken that film imo. These two new releases are the weakest two but for Hammer and Christopher Lee fans they are all good.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Christopher Lee would have agreed with you, as he didn't want to do any of them, including DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS, which I also like, and I think TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA isn't half bad, though the others...well, the others are mitigated, and for that matter, worth seeing, due to the presence of Mr. Lee.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Christopher Lee would have agreed with you, as he didn't want to do any of them, including DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS, which I also like, and I think TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA isn't half bad, though the others...well, the others are mitigated, and for that matter, worth seeing, due to the presence of Mr. Lee.

I saw them all at the cinema except Dracula AD 1972, Dracula in modern day London, I just didn't want to know about that one. Really the 1958 film is the only one for me, in fact I like very few Hammer films after 1965, the glory days were over.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I saw them all at the cinema except Dracula AD 1972, Dracula in modern day London, I just didn't want to know about that one. Really the 1958 film is the only one for me, in fact I like very few Hammer films after 1965, the glory days were over.
I saw almost all of them when they came out also, starting with the first Quatermass, which here was called THE CREEPING UNKNOWN; they all played at my local neighborhood theater starting when I was about six yeas old; in the US horror & sci-fi films were intended for kiddie matinees, which is where I first saw them, often on double bills with Ray Harryhausen fantasies, Roger Corman-Vincent Price Poe films or Toho monsters but I think in the UK they were all rated X, so you must be somewhat older than me.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Continuing the nostalgia trip, BRIDES OF DRACULA was the first Hammer film I saw in a first run theater, and I did see DRACULA AD 1972 & yes, it was pretty awful, but for me there are a number of Hammer films from the late 60's & early 70's that I think are first rate, among them I would include QUATERMASS & THE PIT, THE DEVIL RIDES OUT & PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES, all three which I think still hold up today.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I saw almost all of them when they came out also, starting with the first Quatermass, which here was called THE CREEPING UNKNOWN; they all played at my local neighborhood theater starting when I was about six yeas old; in the US horror & sci-fi films were intended for kiddie matinees, which is where I first saw them, often on double bills with Ray Harryhausen fantasies, Roger Corman-Vincent Price Poe films or Toho monsters but I think in the UK they were all rated X, so you must be somewhat older than me.

Yeah, born in 1950, & as they were X certificate films in the UK, it should have been late 1966 when I was able to see these films, but as I was tall & looked older I managed to see my first Hammer in 1963, Kiss Of The Vampire. And as there was so many independent cinemas in my part of London, showing old Hammer & American International horror films, by 1967 I'd caught up with all the films I'd missed, & by 1970 I'd sort of lost interest.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
IMO Quatermass and the Pit is one of the very best films that Hammer ever produced, bar none.
I took my girlfriend to see a double bill at Film Forum a few years back of QUATERMASS & THE PIT with VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED, & QUATERMASS & THE PIT was so compelling and perfectly made and still completely relevant and beautifully metaphorical in the way that the very best films are (i.e.-Bergman & Bunuel) that VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED, which played afterwards, seemed paltry and slapdash by comparison--and I know it's not for I just watched the WB archive Blu-Ray by itself it's still every bit as good as it always was, but after QUATERMASS & THE PIT...btw, they had amazing looking 35mm prints for both films.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Great News !!!! Finally ! ... I can retire my old Anchor Bay dvd of Satanic Rites ! 2 Hammer titles from WBArchive ? I'm in Shock. My Dracula Bluray collection is now complete ! Dracula, Prince of Darkness is coming on Dec.18th. The 2 Hammer Dracula films from WBA should be sooner. : ) Happy Day for me : ) !!!

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Its been a lifetimes wait, OK not quite but this release will please of so many thousands of fans including me. At long last I can retire my very tired LaserDisc of it which I'll probably frame for posterity holding such fond memories for me and friends who have called to enjoy it over the decades.
Thank you so much.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Amazon increasingly doesn't know what it's doing. They are notorious for getting Warner Archive (and other labels as well) releases late. It's still coming.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Something is odd about it - the WBSHOP.com now only lists it as an MOD DVD coming on 10/9, while they still have AD 1972 listed as a Blu release on 10/16.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
sounds like someone need to get verification,

Question? do they answer questions of there Facebook page, i wouldn't know, i don't have an account myself, but that is where i believe the original mock-up came from, that might be the way to get the quickest confirmation.

i would find it odd that they would be just releasing this on DVD, as the were the original US distributor, but somehow it ended up in PD, so they bring it back, with the original release title. I hope all of this was just an oversight on WB's part

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks