What's new

Fahrenheit 11/9 (2018)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Fahrenheit 11/9

Tagline: Tyrant. Liar. Racist. A hole in one.

Genre: Documentary

Director: Michael Moore

Cast: Michael Moore, David Hogg, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Donald Trump

Release: 2018-09-21

Runtime: 120

Plot: Michael Moore's provocative documentary explores the two most important questions of the Trump Era: How the f--k did we get here, and how the f--k do we get out?

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
ell, he knows how to make his point...

How so? Most viewers who are already inclined to side with him seem to enjoy his films and those who aren’t, don’t. I’ve never met anyone nor read or heard about anyone who has watched one of his films who has actually changed their opinions or world view because of any points Mr. Moore has made.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
What I like about Moore's films is his concern very much appears to be for his fellow human beings and speaking truth to power to bring awareness to their issues. Personally, I don't think we can ever have too much of that. I think Moore aims to be a conversation starter and sometimes to do that you have to be provocative.

Also I guess I should say that "enjoy" is not the word I would use to describe how I feel about his pictures. I think the subject matter is often very sad which he attempts to leaven with humor. I appreciate that because the topics he covers and what has been done to the people his films tend to address is heartbreaking.

I also find it heartbreaking that this country has become so divided that we have trouble even having these conversations with friends and family. That's just not right nor good for us as a nation.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
How so? Most viewers who are already inclined to side with him seem to enjoy his films and those who aren’t, don’t. I’ve never met anyone nor read or heard about anyone who has watched one of his films who has actually changed their opinions or world view because of any points Mr. Moore has made.
That has to do with the way the world is today. It has nothing to do with Moore.

Hardly anyone is willing to seriously consider another point of view that does not agree with their own. Everyone is entrenched in their own opinion, and everyone else is wrong, without any consideration or compromise.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
how big is your focus group? lol

That has to do with the way the world is today. It has nothing to do with Moore.

Hardly anyone is willing to seriously consider another point of view that does not agree with their own. Everyone is entrenched in their own opinion, and everyone else is wrong, without any consideration or compromise.
Another point I don't agree with. Mainly because we all have to remember where the burden of proof lies.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

I do think the art of having a conversation is pretty much on life support. People do seem oddly trained these days to rush to judgement about people and what they say or do. You can't really get away from it. You can only persist in trying to communicate with people and generate some understanding.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, what I come away with seems to be different from most others. On the whole, I am generally on board with what Moore is trying to convey, but I'm also generally disappointed with how he conveys it. So, I understand all the arguments. Having said that, in recent interviews I've seen with him, he seems to have genuinely tempered himself. So, I might give this one a try. I have to agree that most people will still go in with their minds made up, and will see exactly what they expect to see.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
“How the f—- did we get here? And how the f—- do we get out?”

This is tempered? The title and the premise is already insulting to anyone who might think Trump is doing an OK job.

And Moore was very critical of Trump, and not in a necessarily substantive way, before and during the election. So am I to assume he put his biases aside and assessed the Trump presidency fairly thus far?

This film reeks of him trying to belabor a point. Which is his right, and if he can get funding for such an endeavor and there is an audience for it, more power to him. (By the way, he can do this because of capitalism and free market principles. Kind of ironic since his film boasts Ocasio-Cortez in its cast.)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This is tempered?

Very much tempered as compared to what he is making the film in response to. Keep in mind, Moore is just making a film not setting and creating policy that determines the fate of millions of people. Moore is just exorcising his right to free speech and that should be applauded.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I've seen enough interviews and rantings from the man (and even tried to watch a few of his earlier films) to know he is not my cup of tea. Not because I am not open minded or afraid to have a conversation. But because he has not convinced me that he is anything but an ideological provocateur.

You seem to want to use this film as a means to start a political conversation in a non political forum. Good luck, this is where I bow out.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The film sets up a not-always-linear timeline showing how history has pretty much laid out a red carpet* to welcome the sort of erosion of Democracy that is happening now and that is finally being noticed by a phenomenal number of heretofore complacent and/or disillusioned voters. Sometimes the movie seems a bit arbitrary and other times overly familiar due to the endless t.v. coverage going on. But other chapters took me by surprise. The entire section that details the Government destroying a portion of Flint, Michigan in order to turn it into a military training ground (including high explosives, some during the night, without alerting the locals) was totally new to me, and I'm a news junkie. Was this story carried by the major news outlets?

Like all of Moore's films, FAHRENHEIT 11/9 preaches to the choir. However, it is also highly critical of the previous administration. Interviews are well chosen, though of course highly partisan. But they are also shown in context and would be highly persuasive, I feel, for those on the fence after these first two years. If you are one of those, I strongly suggest you spend the twelve bucks and two hours and check out this excellent film. Don't wait until after November 6. It probably won't show up on video or even cable until after the mid-terms (and vote your heart and conscious, but please vote!).

'Nuff said.

*There is an absolutely horrifying/hilarious/groan-worthy shot of just this happening as our hero walks along a sidewalk in New York.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks