What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Tom Clancy’s working man hero, Jack Ryan, has become a cinematic staple of the fast 30 or so years, with several attempts at getting the character and story right for the big screen. The attempts are often flawed though entertaining in their own right despite stepping too far away from Clancy’s source material than not. Beginning with Alec Baldwin in the role in The Hunt for Red October, a brilliantly engaging thriller, the stories of Jack Ryan were followed by two outings with Harrison Ford in the role in 1992s Patriot Games and 1994s Clear and Present Danger – both thrilling if flawed tales. Paramount sought a modest reboot of the series with Ben Affleck taking over in 2002s The Sum of All Fears which, despite a healthy $118MM domestic box office haul, was deemed a failure. The cinematic adventures were suspended until a second reboot was conceived by the studio in Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. A non-Clancy story was reformatted to feature the Ryan character, but audiences were...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
What a tremendous and thorough review of this set! I started with the first and best this weekend: The Hunt For Red October, which I hadn't revisited since I saw it on laserdisc. I thought the 4K picture looked terrific projected - really film-like (except for the final "moonlit" scene, which now looks inexplicably fake and separate from the rest of the film). I sat there thinking: "I wish I were half as cool as Sean Connery". Contrary to how I remembered, Connery never says: "We shail into hishtory", he actually says "sail" (but does say "hishtory"). There was a much better Connery line in the film though: "When he reached the New World, Cortesh burned hish shipsh".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.