What's new

Hometheater set up-subwoofer issue (1 Viewer)

Mirco

Auditioning
Real Name
Mirci
Hi all! I have pioneer av receiver vsx324 and i connectwd to it a jamo set with all the sorround. By setting the ext.stereo mode i can make sound everything except the subwoofer!! By doing the channel level i can hear some noise in the sw, but any test i do with film/music test it doesn't sound. What can i do?? Thanks in advance

Mirco

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Subwoofers do not always output sound. When watching movies, they will only output sound if the track has a dedicated LFE channel and if that channel has audio to feed the subwoofer. When listening to music in stereo or direct mode, often the subwoofer will be disabled.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Lot of variables that we wont know without you letting us know. Do you have an active sub or passive? What is the crossover set to? How is the sub connected, should be single RCA cable to Sub preout.

As stated above, subs don't mirror the speakers, the sub will only play bass under the set crossover point. Typically it will be set at 80hz to start.

If you are getting sound from the sub during channel level tests, it is working. You may have to adjust volume up a little depending on how heavy you want the bass. I will balance out all speakers and subs with a SPL meter when I tweak my system. Listening to some old Bob Seger right now and I have a nice little thump coming from the subs.

Mirco

Auditioning
Real Name
Mirci
Lot of variables that we wont know without you letting us know. Do you have an active sub or passive? What is the crossover set to? How is the sub connected, should be single RCA cable to Sub preout.

As stated above, subs don't mirror the speakers, the sub will only play bass under the set crossover point. Typically it will be set at 80hz to start.

If you are getting sound from the sub during channel level tests, it is working. You may have to adjust volume up a little depending on how heavy you want the bass. I will balance out all speakers and subs with a SPL meter when I tweak my system. Listening to some old Bob Seger right now and I have a nice little thump coming from the subs.

Hi, thanks for the reply! I have an e4sub.1 jamo, which is active sub. I set it to 70hz. Is connected with the red and white wires (with cooper to ampli and pin to sub) . When doing the sorround test with Youtube, the lfe channel is neverworking. Should i test in auto sorround direct or pure direct? I usually use ext.stereo to get also the back stereo to work

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I don't know what test you are using from YouTube but all the ones I've seen only play in 2 channel PCM with no LFE broadcast. YouTube is fine for watching cat videos but I would never use it to test anything related to audio or video.

Check settings on sub, put the volume at 50% and turn Cut Off Freq to 150hz (All the way up) you don't want sub doing any crossover work, it should be done in the receiver.

The VSX324 has a setting called LFE ATT that should be set to "0" for full LFE.

A big problem you have is the receiver. The VSX324 is an entry level receiver that doesn't have an actual pre out for the sub, it is made to feed kit speakers with a passive sub. The Jamo sub only has inputs for RCAs. I'm guessing that's why you posted this "Is connected with the red and white wires (with cooper to ampli and pin to sub)" . If possible, I would look into updating the receiver.

Brian

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know what test you are using from YouTube but all the ones I've seen only play in 2 channel PCM with no LFE broadcast. YouTube is fine for watching cat videos but I would never use it to test anything related to audio or video.

Check settings on sub, put the volume at 50% and turn Cut Off Freq to 150hz (All the way up) you don't want sub doing any crossover work, it should be done in the receiver.

The VSX324 has a setting called LFE ATT that should be set to "0" for full LFE.

A big problem you have is the receiver. The VSX324 is an entry level receiver that doesn't have an actual pre out for the sub, it is made to feed kit speakers with a passive sub. The Jamo sub only has inputs for RCAs. I'm guessing that's why you posted this "Is connected with the red and white wires (with cooper to ampli and pin to sub)" . If possible, I would look into updating the receiver.

Brian

If that is correct, that could be a huge problem... You're sending an amplified signal to an input not made for amplified signals. I would be very afraid of damaging the sub.

Mirco

Auditioning
Real Name
Mirci
If that is correct, that could be a huge problem... You're sending an amplified signal to an input not made for amplified signals. I would be very afraid of damaging the sub.

What can i do with the current ampli and set?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I searched and could not find the answer I need... Does the sub have High Level Inputs? If it does, you can use it with the current AVR. If not, you're out of luck.

Can you take a picture of the inputs on the sub? Or point me to a manual?

Mirco

Auditioning
Real Name
Mirci
There u go!

Attachments

• 20181015_213101.jpg
    20181015_213101.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,035

Mirco

Auditioning
Real Name
Mirci
Hi!i bought the vsx 527 and the proper wire to connect the sub. As i turn the volume up a bit, it start making a scarping sound...not sure what that is, whether is the matter or settings or sub itself. Can you help me understand please?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hi!i bought the vsx 527 and the proper wire to connect the sub. As i turn the volume up a bit, it start making a scarping sound...not sure what that is, whether is the matter or settings or sub itself. Can you help me understand please?
When you turn it up, you hear a scraping sound from the sub? That indicates the voice coil is fried, which would mean it needs to have the driver replaced. Might not be worth fixing.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With the sub disconnected from the receiver and power, gently press the cone in. You should not hear anything. If the voice coil has unwound, then you will hear metal wires scraping against the metal top plate of the magnet structure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks