What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ X-Men 3-Film Collection -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fox's new 4k 3-film collection of the X-Man series (2003-2006) is a quality affair. with an appropriate amount of extras for fans of the series.

All three look very nice, with nicely resolved imagery, and a extra kick from HDR.

The first was shot scope, the second and third, S35, with the third finalized as a 2k DI.

What I'm not seeing here is 4k resolution that anything above a 2k norm, and that could be based upon the way the films were shot for the inclusion of digital effects. I don't have the answer.

Fans will obviously want the 4k variant, but from what I'm seeing (and hearing), those who already have the superbly produced Blu-ray set in their libraries, may not need to trade up to 4k.

For those who don't yet have the series, and it's a fun trilogy, the way to go is obviously 4k.

An aside here.

When I open disc packaging, I always make the presumption that the higher resolution disc will be packaged to the right, and the SD Blu-ray to the left. That seems to be the norm.

But not always.

And there have been situations for which I'm viewing something and thinking that it just doesn't look very good. I'll usually find that the 4k is on the left, and the SD on the right.

In the case of the X-Men Trilogy, it's 4k left / SC right.

Love to see some standardization.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (1 & 2 DTS-HD MA 5.1, 3 DTS-HD MA 6.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - For fans and lovers of HDR only

Recommended

RAH

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
When I open disc packaging, I always make the presumption that the higher resolution disc will be packaged to the right, and the SD Blu-ray to the left. That seems to be the norm.

But not always.

And there have been situations for which I'm viewing something and thinking that it just doesn't look very good. I'll usually find that the 4k is on the left, and the SD on the right.

Is the implication here that you grabbed the disc on the right in the dark, expecting it to be the 4K, only to find out later that you were actually viewing the SD Blu-ray?

I could see that being a problem.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Is the implication here that you grabbed the disc on the right in the dark, expecting it to be the 4K, only to find out later that you were actually viewing the SD Blu-ray?

I could see that being a problem.

Not in this case, but has occurred in the past.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Since this release apparently removes the entire second disc of extras from the prior BD release, I may retain that second disc with the 4k package and sell the old standalone BD movies.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
An aside here.

But not always.

In the case of the X-Men Trilogy, it's 4k left / SC right.

Love to see some standardization.

When I opened my set yesterday that was the first thing I noticed, and I immediately swapped the discs around. Great (or warped) minds think alike. :laugh:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
When I opened my set yesterday that was the first thing I noticed, and I immediately swapped the discs around. Great (or warped) minds think alike. :laugh:

I hadn't been too concerned with it before, but after all this, I actually went and made sure they were all arranged that way. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks