What's new

Should I exchange my receiver (1 Viewer)

Nastynoise

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan M. Richards
Perhaps I should start with the speakers I have since those won’t change anytime soon but the receiver I have I may be able to exchange.
CC is a mirage omnisat
FL & FR are Energy EF-500
Both mid overhead and both rear are mirage nanosat
1 sub is Yamaha YST-SW216
1 sub is a Polk Audio powered sub not sure the model.

Receiver slight backstory I had a yamah rx-a660 and the audio was randomly cutting out for a second. My best guess at what was wrong is that there was a problem with the sound codec. Anyways, Bestbuy exchanged it for me for any recover in a $550 price range. After looking at what they currently had and reading online I settled on the Denon AVR-S940H. This receiver has far more wattage than my previous Yamaha yet it doesn’t feel as impressive sound wise. My other two options were the Sony STR-DN1080 and the Yamaha RX-V685BL

Hopefully someone can tell me if I have the best receiver possible for my speaker configuration. My only focus to this point on building my theater setup is what’s well reviewed at the price point I can afford at the time.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The Denon is hands down the best of the three. I have last year's 930 and love it, after running the Audyssey calibration tool and then tweaking the settings afterwards.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Any of those receivers is probably fine. I'd probably go withthe Denon in general, among the choices. BTW, based on the ratings (which are notoriously unreliable) the real world power of the Denon and your old Yamaha are basically identical. That one rating, with 6 ohm, 1kHz, 1 channel has absolutely zero connection to reality. Look at the 20Hz-20KHz, 2 channel, 8 ohm rating for the only one that might have any connection to reality.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Denon is hands down the best of the three. I have last year's 930 and love it, after running the Audyssey calibration tool and then tweaking the settings afterwards.

Hands down? I'm curious why you say that. I'd probably go for the Yamaha because I've always thought they sounded better playing music. But personal preference aside they seem pretty close to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks