What's new

First smart TV set up (1 Viewer)

Dbar3434

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
So I just bought a new tcl 55 inch 6 Series and with my old TV I ran everything through my 5.1 receiver, so now when I use my smart TV apps only the TV speakers work obviously . So question is, is it best to run everything through the TV and then run audio to the receiver is is there a way to still run it through the receiver and have the TV sound work. I sure I can just set the TV sound up on another hdmi mode but then I would have to switch modes all the time. Any help please?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pretty common question here, Justin...

Welcome to the HTF! :D

What's the model # of the TV?

Look for something in the manual called ARC. That'll send the signals that originate in the TV and send them back to the receiver which will then decode/output to your 5.1 set-up.

But It WILL require you to change the input setting on your receiver when using the TV apps.

HERE'S a basic (albeit dated) overview of ARC.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I have an older TCL Roku TV similar to yours and have it set up via ARC to my 7.1 receiver. I have TV speakers turned off to avoid out of sync sound.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
You can get one of the best remotes around, Harmony, for around $50-60. It's all I use and now I don't worry about what needs switching and when. I just press "Watch Netflix" and bam, TV goes to Netflix app, receiver switches inputs, etc. Easy as that.

I highly recommend running to Best Buy and grabbing one.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&nrp=15&cp=1&sp=-bestsellingsort skuidsaas&seeAll=&ks=960&sc=Global&list=y&usc=All Categories&type=page&iht=n&browsedCategory=abcat0107039&st=categoryid$abcat0107039&qp=brand_facet=Brand~Logitech

Dbar3434

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
You can get one of the best remotes around, Harmony, for around $50-60. It's all I use and now I don't worry about what needs switching and when. I just press "Watch Netflix" and bam, TV goes to Netflix app, receiver switches inputs, etc. Easy as that.
Okay I'll check it out thanks

I highly recommend running to Best Buy and grabbing one.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&nrp=15&cp=1&sp=-bestsellingsort skuidsaas&seeAll=&ks=960&sc=Global&list=y&usc=All Categories&type=page&iht=n&browsedCategory=abcat0107039&st=categoryid$abcat0107039&qp=brand_facet=Brand~Logitech

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. What Johnny wrote.

With a Harmony remote, it allows you to easily tweak each setting you put into it.

Set up Watch Cable--as an example-- (and you can select each of the appropriate inputs for that).

Set up Watch TV Apps (and then you can pick all the appropriate inputs for that function.

Easy peasy.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As an alternative to ARC, your TV probably also has a digital audio output that you can connect to your receiver. ARC can be finicky sometimes to get to work properly. There is not much downside to using the separate digital audio connection, other than needing to run another inexpensive cable.

Dbar3434

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Well unfortunately the arc option isn't working. I have it. Turned on for the TV and it's set to auto on my receiver and. Plugged into the vcr/dvr hdmi but not working. So I'll have to try an digital audio cable

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Well unfortunately the arc option isn't working. I have it. Turned on for the TV and it's set to auto on my receiver and. Plugged into the vcr/dvr hdmi but not working. So I'll have to try an digital audio cable
Some of the new TV's like your actually require the ARC to be turned on within the settings of the TV. Before you abandon ARC as an option, look under the Input settings of the TCL to make sure ARC is enabled on the input.

I've heard plenty of horror stories about ARC but I use it for streaming apps from my Vizio TV to my soundbar and have never encountered an issue with it. One less connection to have to worry about.

Dbar3434

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Some of the new TV's like your actually require the ARC to be turned on within the settings of the TV. Before you abandon ARC as an option, look under the Input settings of the TCL to make sure ARC is enabled on the input.

I've heard plenty of horror stories about ARC but I use it for streaming apps from my Vizio TV to my soundbar and have never encountered an issue with it. One less connection to have to worry about.
Yeah the arc setting on my tcl is turned on

Dbar3434

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
How old is this VCR/DVR you're talking about? What brand/model#?
It's a 2015 or 2016 onkyo 5.1 ch. Reciever . I had it plug into the hdmi marked dvr.. But I think I just figured out I did it wrong. For the arc to work I need to run my hdmi out from my receiver to the arc hdmi on my TV don't I?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Yep. Receiver HDI out to TCL HDMI #1 (ARC).

So you don't have a VCR/DVR attached to your set up? I'm confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks