What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh Steinberg submitted a new blog post

Shampoo Blu-ray Review (Criterion Collection)
Shampoo-poster-1024x570.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The Criterion versions of "It Happened One Night" and "Shampoo" are currently £8.32 each after removal of VAT plus £4.07 shipping if you order both to the US on Amazon.co.uk. With the pound down verses the dollar shop these deals now.
Criterions from the UK are Region B locked usually.

ubiquitousrick

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Gamble
I had been waiting for the Shampoo blu-ray for many years and finally found and purchased it. I am having a problem that I hope is the result of my error and am posting here to see if anyone can help...
While watching the first scene with Goldie Hawn it became very clear that I was viewing a cropped image. I am sure of this because I remember seeing this scene in a theater during it's initial release, AND I have a dvd version that is 4x3 on one side and "widescreen" on the other side. The 4x3 crop shows the complete top and bottom of that scene but the widescreen side is a cropped version of the 4x3 so the top and bottom are cropped!
My blu-ray also cuts off the top and bottom, just like the dvd.
It occurred to me that I may have my plasma screen's Picture setting wrong, but I have tried every setting and the result is the same.
Am I missing something?
I should note that I had the same experience with a blu-ray version of A Christmas Story and I returned it. I am ready to do the same with Shampoo unless someone has a solution.
Thanks!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There’s nothing wrong with the disc.

Shampoo was shot on 35mm with spherical lenses, which leads to an imagine size of approximately 1.33:1 - that’s just the physical shape of the film itself. However, the filmmakers never intended for you to see the entirety of that image, and shot the film with the idea that the top and bottom of the frame would be matted during projection (or cropped, if you will) to achieve the intended ratio of 1.85:1.

The older full screen DVD revealed more on the top and bottom of the image than the filmmakers wanted you to see. The widescreen DVD version and Blu-ray present the film at 1.85:1, as the filmmakers intended. Anything you’re not seeing compared to the full screen version is something you were never meant to see in the first place.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I had been waiting for the Shampoo blu-ray for many years and finally found and purchased it. I am having a problem that I hope is the result of my error and am posting here to see if anyone can help...
While watching the first scene with Goldie Hawn it became very clear that I was viewing a cropped image. I am sure of this because I remember seeing this scene in a theater during it's initial release, AND I have a dvd version that is 4x3 on one side and "widescreen" on the other side. The 4x3 crop shows the complete top and bottom of that scene but the widescreen side is a cropped version of the 4x3 so the top and bottom are cropped!
It occurred to me that I may have my plasma screen's Picture setting wrong, but I have tried every setting and the result is the same.
Am I missing something?
I should note that I had the same experience with a blu-ray version of A Christmas Story and I returned it. I am ready to do the same with Shampoo unless someone has a solution.
Thanks!
Your Christmas Story Blu was fine as well. There was no need to return it.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Am I missing something?
Thanks!

You posted the EXACT same thing a month and a half ago in another thread and got the same answers you're going to get here. If you need a refresher: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/shampoo-blu-ray-aspect-ratio-question.365337/

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
^I coulda have sworn I already weighed in on this. Yup. Two months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks