What's new

How about David Cassidy Man Undercover on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
It's been nearly a year now since David Cassidy passed away, count me among those who would like to see his short lived Man Undercover TV series get a DVD release.

This was by no means a great TV show, the writing got weaker as the series went along, but DC always turned in good performances in the episodes despite the weak scripts. The first episode of the series, Running The Hill, is actually my favorite. Cage Of Steel isn't bad either.

I do have the complete series in my video collection, uncut episodes recorded from TV around 1990 or so, but the quality isn't that great so I would welcome a DVD release as long as the episodes would be uncut. As a bonus, the pilot of the series, Police Story episode A Chance To Live should be included on a DVD release.

Anyone else here in the forum who would like to see this series released on DVD?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I'd like to see it released, too, as I'm a DC fan and have never seen any of the episodes. I believe he was nominated for an Emmy for the pilot, wasn't he?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I'd like to see it released, too, as I'm a DC fan and have never seen any of the episodes. I believe he was nominated for an Emmy for the pilot, wasn't he?

Yes he received an Emmy nomination for the pilot movie. David was good playing the role of an undercover cop, but part of the problem was he didn't really look the part, he didn't look tough enough, and another problem was the fact that David was typecast from The Partridge Family, his fans didn't accept him taking on a more mature TV role, they still wanted him to be Keith Partridge. Include the fact that the majority of the episodes suffered from weak writing, and the series was cancelled after just 10 episodes.

The series does have a cool sounding theme song, "Hard Times, Hard Crimes", co-written and performed by David Cassidy, and there are good moments in the episodes, a few episodes are quite good, overall I think it deserves a DVD release, maybe one day it will happen.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
I thought the pilot film (from Season 5 of "Police Story") was really well done. The series was disappointing by comparison.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I thought the pilot film (from Season 5 of "Police Story") was really well done. The series was disappointing by comparison.

The first three episodes of the series are the best ones, after that the writing starts to decline, scripts are weaker. I really like the episode Running The Hill, that one is very good. Baby Makes Three and Cage Of Steel are good also.

If this series gets a DVD release, it could be a 3 disc set, the pilot movie and episodes 1-2 on the 1st disc, episodes 3-6 on the 2nd disc, and episodes 7-10 on the 3rd disc.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Sony out of the classic TV DVD business? How long has it been since they last put anything out? Seems like years.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I wouldn't think it would be remotely cost effective to take the time to press something like this. At most I'd guess they could sell maybe a couple hundred units if even that for such a fringe item. No way a studio or DVD factory could make any kind of profit off that.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Isn't Sony out of the classic TV DVD business? How long has it been since they last put anything out? Seems like years.

Another DVD studio would have to work out a deal with Sony for a DVD release. VEI, ClassicFlix, and Shout Factory are a few studios that come to mind.

I've been looking at my "recorded from TV" copies of the episodes, the video quality of episode 7, Firestorm, isn't too great but the others actually look pretty decent, and the important thing is the episodes are uncut. I think these were recorded around 1990 from a now defunct channel called Channel America.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Another DVD studio would have to work out a deal with Sony for a DVD release. VEI, ClassicFlix, and Shout Factory are a few studios that come to mind.

I've been looking at my "recorded from TV" copies of the episodes, the video quality of episode 7, Firestorm, isn't too great but the others actually look pretty decent, and the important thing is the episodes are uncut. I think these were recorded around 1990 from a now defunct channel called Channel America.

Channel America bought a huge package of short run Sony shows, including things like Doctors Private Lives, Medical Story, The Interns, Tallahassee 7000 and quite a few others. Sony used to really do a great job of maximizing sales of their failed series. They had things like Young Rebels, Wackiest Ship in the Army and Empire running on CBN as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks