What's new

2018 Annual Colorized Dick Van Dyke and I Love Lucy Announced (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Love Lucy: New Colorized Holiday Specials Coming to CBS

by Jessica Pena, November 13, 2018

i-love-lucy-590x388.jpg

Ready to ring in the holidays with Lucy and Dick? Today, CBS announced they will debut newly colorized episodes of I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke Show this December.

The holiday special includes the “Where Did I Come From” and “Never Bathe on Saturday” episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show as well as the “Pioneer Women” and “The Christmas Episode” episodes of I Love Lucy.

CBS‘ holiday special begins on December 14th at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

You can read more info below:

“THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW – NOW IN LIVING COLOR!,” A NEW ONE-HOUR SPECIAL FEATURING TWO NEWLY COLORIZED EPISODES, TO BE BROADCAST FRIDAY, DEC. 14 ON CBS

The Featured Episodes, “Where Did I Come From” and “Never Bathe on Saturday,” Were Chosen by Creator Carl Reiner to Showcase his Favorite Episodes Featuring Dick Van Dyke

THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW – NOW IN LIVING COLOR!, a new one-hour special with two newly colorized back-to-back classic episodes of the beloved 1960s series, will be broadcast Friday, Dec. 14 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Series creator and co-star Carl Reiner personally selected the two episodes to showcase his favorite episodes featuring Dick Van Dyke.

“After seeing only two seconds of 92-year-old Dick dancing in the new ‘Mary Poppins’ movie, I picked shows that featured Dick’s physical comedy,” said Reiner. “He was, is and will always be the greatest entertainer I have ever seen.”

The special features the season one episode “Where Did I Come From,” written by Carl Reiner, and the season four episode “Never Bathe on Saturday,” also written by Reiner. The main titles and end credits of the two episodes are seamlessly combined into one set – at the beginning and end of the hour – with no interruption between the episodes.

The Emmy Award-winning series starred Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore as television comedy writer Rob and his wife, Laura Petrie; Larry Matthews as their son, Ritchie; Morey Amsterdam and Rose Marie as Buddy Sorrell and Sally Rogers, co-writers on the fictional “The Alan Brady Show”; Carl Reiner as Alan Brady; Richard Deacon as Mel Cooley; Jerry Paris as Dr. Jerry Helper; and Ann Morgan Guilbert as Millie Krumbermacher Helper.

In “Where Did I Come From,” 6-year-old Ritchie asks his parents the inevitable “where did I come from?” question, and they recall the days before his birth. The episode was first presented on Jan. 3, 1961 during the series’ first season.

In “Never Bathe on Saturday,” the Petries’ romantic second honeymoon becomes a disaster when Laura’s toe gets caught in a bath spout. The episode was first presented on March 31, 1965, during season four.

“The Dick Van Dyke Show” originally aired on CBS from Oct. 3, 1961, through June 1, 1966, finishing in the Nielsen top 10 in three of its five seasons, peaking at #3 during the 1963-1964 season. The show received 15 Primetime Emmy Awards, including three Emmys for Dick Van Dyke, five for Carl Reiner and two for Mary Tyler Moore.

Carl Reiner is an executive producer, with George Shapiro and Paul Brownstein. “The Dick Van Dyke Show” is distributed by Paul Brownstein Productions.

I LOVE LUCY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL,” A NEW ONE-HOUR SPECIAL FEATURING TWO EPISODES OF THE CLASSIC SERIES, TO BE BROADCAST FRIDAY, DEC. 14 ON CBS

“The Christmas Episode” and the Newly Colorized “Pioneer Women” to Be Seamlessly Combined

I LOVE LUCY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL, a new one-hour special featuring two back-to-back colorized episodes of the classic series, will be broadcast Friday, Dec. 14 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

I LOVE LUCY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL features “The Christmas Episode” and the newly colorized “Pioneer Women.” Both were colorized with a nod to the 1950s period in which they were filmed. The main titles and end credits are seamlessly combined into one set at the beginning and end of the hour, with no interruption between the episodes.

“The Christmas Episode” finds the Ricardos and Mertzes decorating Lucy and Ricky’s Christmas tree and reminiscing about how their lives have changed since the arrival of the Ricardos’ son, Little Ricky (Keith Thibodeaux). Flashbacks recall the night Lucy tells Ricky she is pregnant, the time Lucy shows up unexpectedly as part of a barbershop quartet, and the day Ricky and the Mertzes rehearse taking Lucy to the maternity ward.

“The Christmas Episode” was first broadcast on CBS on Christmas Eve, 1956. The episode was not included in the series’ long history of rebroadcasts, first on CBS Daytime and later in syndication. Long thought to be lost, the program was rediscovered by CBS in 1989.

In “Pioneer Women,” Lucy and Ethel’s hopes of joining the posh Society Matrons’ League leads to a bet with their husbands over which sex – the men or the women – had it harder living in a bygone era. They select the turn of the last century, and as Lucy and Ethel start to bake their own bread and churn their own butter, the men become acquainted with straight-blade shaving and riding home from work on horseback. They all have some “‘splainin'” to do when two ladies from the Society Matrons’ League stop by for an unexpected visit.

“Pioneer Women” was originally broadcast on March 31, 1952, and became an immediate viewer favorite.

“I Love Lucy” Christmas specials have aired on the Network the past five years, each combining the holiday-themed episode with a different comedy classic. Beginning in 2015, “The Christmas Episode” has been shown colorized in its entirety, with fully-colorized flashback scenes that had previously been presented in black-and-white.

“I Love Lucy” was broadcast on the Network from Oct. 15, 1951 through June 23, 1957. It was voted “The Best TV Show of All Time” in a 2012 viewer poll conducted by People magazine and ABC News. “I Love Lucy” stars Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz as Lucy and Ricky Ricardo and Vivian Vance and William Frawley as the Ricardos’ friends and landlords, Ethel and Fred Mertz.”

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought they toned down the color just a little on "Pioneer Women" from previous years.

The Dick Van Dyke Show episodes were just wonderful: two of my favorites of the entire five-year run and both were nicely colorized (though they certainly made sure all the furniture in the living room had quite varied hues - yellow, green, blue).

Kathleen Freeman is a stitch in her guest role as the maid (she also guested fabulously on another episode as the motel manager on Rob and Laura's Mexican honeymoon)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty amazing when you figure that Carl Reiner, in addition to serving as showrunner, was playing a middle-aged man on "The Dick Van Dyke Show" in 1961. And now, 57 years later, he's still active and working. It's my understanding, confirmed by the press release Gary posted, that he personally chooses the episodes that will be colorized for this special every year.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Argh!!! We missed it!!

Are these available online to watch????

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
The first year they put the 2 Van Dyke episodes out on blu-ray, uncut in both color and b&w. They didn’t do that with last year’s episodes. Hopefully they’ll put out this year’s (and last’s). I can’t stand watching them so butchered on the broadcast, even though it’s great that they’re playing in prime time again.

jimmo

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
CBS sometimes reruns the episodes later on in December (on Sunday night in past seasons), so keep an eye out for the reruns.

Thank you for sharing this information. I will try to keep an eye out for the encore presentations on CBS. It is special broadcasts such as these which make me wish I still had a DVD recorder for over-the-air broadcasts. My Toshiba DVD recorder conked out several years ago and I have yet to replace it. DVD recorders are also becoming increasingly difficult to obtain in the United States.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thank you for sharing this information. I will try to keep an eye out for the encore presentations on CBS. It is special broadcasts such as these which make me wish I still had a DVD recorder for over-the-air broadcasts. My Toshiba DVD recorder conked out several years ago and I have yet to replace it. DVD recorders are also becoming increasingly difficult to obtain in the United States.
So I noticed. Mine broke a few months ago as well, and the prices for new ones were astronomical.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
CBS sometimes reruns the episodes later on in December (on Sunday night in past seasons), so keep an eye out for the reruns.
Will try to keep an eye open for I LOVE LUCY IN COLOR SPECIAL, as there were too many titles on the PVR set to record in the 8PM timeslot, and I had to eliminate one. We did get the DICK VAN DYKE colorized episodes, however.

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks