What's new

Warner Archive: Popeye the Sailor (1940s) First Volume on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another must purchase.
POPEYE THE SAILOR: The 1940s, VOLUME ONE (1943-1945)
NEW 2018 1080p HD MASTERS CREATED FROM 4K SCANS OF THE ORIGINAL NITRATE TECHNICOLOR NEGATIVES
Run Time 99:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English
Aspect Ratio 4 X 3 FULL FRAME, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO – 1.37:1
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Lost at sea for decades – this set collects the first two Technicolor® seasons of Popeye’s animated theatrical shorts (1943-44 and 1944-45), making them available for the first time ever on home video: complete, intact and outrageously funny. What else would you expect from a two-fisted, spinach-munching sailor man?
The 1940s brought new sights and sounds to America’s favorite cartoon star. Regulars Olive Oyl and Bluto return, while Popeye resumes his riotous relationship with his shipmate Shorty and his naughty nephews Pipeye, Poopeye, Peepeye and Pupeye. With the addition of full color, cartoonists were now free to let loose...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Christmas Miracle , Drooling at the prospect, that more will follow, Famous Studios output , would be nice to see the Fleischer's get the same treatment, if WAC want to really up the prospects how about this gem?

upload_2018-11-20_13-56-51.png

From Jerry Beck's Cartoonreserch.com page PLEASE READ

A SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE EDITOR OF CARTOON RESEARCH

Jerry-Popeye-550.jpg

Presenting POPEYE THE SAILOR: The 1940s Vol. 1 (Warner Archive Collection) Street Date: 12/11/18.

Here we go again. To all of you who wish and hope the vaults of Warner Bros. could reopen to allow more of the classic cartoon treasures to emerge – Now is your time. Here’s what you can do to help (Take Two).

Last year I used whatever super powers I had to make a set of black and white Porky Pig cartoons available in an effort to convince to the studio there was an audience out there for such compilations. After several bumps in the road the set eventually broke even. But “brake even” isn’t good enough for a mega corporation. Long story short – we have one more shot. One. This is it. Perhaps a set of color cartoons, films the collectors do not have, or never had on home video (no VHS, no previous DVD or cable broadcast). A small set – 14 cartoons perhaps.

Here it is – a continuation of the Paramount Popeye cartoons. The next 14. No frills, no bonus materials, no audio commentaries. Transferred from the original Technicolor negatives. Jim Tyer animation. Politically incorrect shorts, uncut. The set will be available, separately, on both DVD and blu-ray.

The website to pre-order is supposedly going up today and we will update this post with the link when we get it. I highly recommend this set – I think you will be pleased. The frame grabs below were snapped off my living room flat screen by my iPhone, off the blu-ray. If this looks good to you – I ask that you pre-order, or order it in December. Let’s prove to Warner Bros. that we want further volumes of Popeye 1940s and 1950s – and we want more Warner and MGM cartoons restored and released. It’s seriously up to you.

Popeye-title-framegrabs600.jpg
Popeye-40s-vol1-label.jpg
POPEYE_COLOR_1940_V1front.jpg

if you are serious about animation then this needs to be supported, by sales

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
These shorts are a big step down from the Fleischer era Popeyes. That said its nice to have 'em fully restored considering how awful the aap prints they used to run on TNT and Cartoon Network used to look.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Going to pre-order this, just as I did with Porky 101. These aren't the greatest of the greatest, but I find the 40s Famous Popeyes to be a lot of fun. Seeing them in proper quality will be a big plus because they never looked good on TV.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Warner Archive has saved the best for last in 2018 with this and The Sea Hawk arriving in December (hopefully with The Thing From Another World and Dark of the Sun coming soon after that!).

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
Great news!

Man, I hear what Jerry is saying, but I don't know what else I can do. I buy all this animation stuff religiously, but physical disc sales do nothing but decline and the community of classic animation fans is apparently quite small. I guess I could buy two copies, but I see little I can do to get other people to value and buy this classic material when they are A) cheap, and B) satisfied with the kind of abject garbage that gets broadcast nowadays, animated or otherwise.

Whether you like animation or not I think DVDs and Blu-rays have always been the best value in entertainment pretty much ever, and continue to provide the purchaser some autonomy over their content instead of laying back fat and happy on the couch to be spoon fed whatever crap the streaming services decide you can or can't see this month. It's to be expected I guess, but it's to all of our detriment as disc sales lose momentum and critical mass in the market because of this complacency. But I digress.

Also, for those of us who do buy a LOT of animation these sort of back channel warnings from those "in the know" sound awfully accusatory sometimes. WTH else was I supposed to do? I probably bought almost every classic animated DVD release WB ever put out, many of them quite flawed. I get rewarded with abandoned incomplete series and fairly obvious stuff that never gets released at all. I know, I know, I'm not the target and there is an effort to goose sales however they can, it's important, but it's just a perennial thing with classic animation and I get tired of hearing it.

Sorry to be a downer, I do hope this sells well and there are more to come. I grew up on these color Popeye cartoons from Famous Studios and would love to see them all released. But ultimately if Warner Archive can't make it work then I wish they would at least try to license this kind of stuff out to independent shops like Criterion and Olive, who do seem to still be able to make physical media work.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pre-order in! Keeping my fingers crossed that this sells well enough for future releases.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
This thread brought me to the astonishing realization that I've had the first three DVD sets for 10 years and more. I've gone back to those discs and laughed at so many "gags" that as an eight-year-old, I never noticed. Although the Fleischer animations are considered superior to the later Paramount productions, I look forward to this Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks