What's new

I told myself I'd never build another PC again... (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
... that was 6.5 years ago, but after scouring pre-built configurations, I could never find something that hit all the right notes for me, so I ended up diving back into PC component research and finally pulled the trigger on ordering stuff for the next PC after all.

And hopefully most of the stuff arrives within a week so I can get started once more.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I'm actually the opposite, I bought a pre-built one time and told myself never again. I want genuine parts, not OEM, configured for upgrade-ability.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here, Pat. You're gonna need this:

rtgitzl5r3awurreei0z.jpg

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
... that was 6.5 years ago, but after scouring pre-built configurations, I could never find something that hit all the right notes for me, so I ended up diving back into PC component research and finally pulled the trigger on ordering stuff for the next PC after all.

And hopefully most of the stuff arrives within a week so I can get started once more.

Yea, if you have the skill to build it yourself I don't understand why you wouldn't. Pre built machines are cheaper for a reason. Not knocking the concept either, just saying, why accept a compromise product built for the masses when you're capable of so much more by the work of your own hands?

I have two HP pre builts. Why do I have them? I have family at HP and got a pretty good deal at the time. Keeping them current over the years, however, has cost me more in the long run and now I wish I had just built them myself. These chassis' have very limited upgrade-ability. I'm already considering chucking one and starting over. The other may eventually follow. Meanwhile my self built HTPC remains bullet proof.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Unofficial HTF Rule: hardware build list is required for a DIY PC thread. :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Pat-PC-2018.JPG

I ordered most from Newegg this time around, saved about $200 over Amazon's prices due to no tax collected by Newegg, and some cheaper prices on the component (factoring in some MIR's).

I struggled with the CPU cooler selection, and I'm praying it'll fit in the case, and clear the RAM module's height when installed on the MB.

Also, I wanted a PC with a ton of internal drive bays (5+), and not many of the prebuilt PCs offered more than 3 drive bays at best, thus I went with the case selected.

I always buy higher wattage-rated power supplies, so the prebuilts always skimp on that component.

I was originally going to settle with a 1060 6GB video card, but for $20 more, I found a 1070 8Gb on sale, and it offered SLI capability (if I ever wanted to drop another 1070 in there down the line).

I went for the Z390 MB just in case I ever got an 8-core i7 9th gen CPU, and splurged on the Wireless version, I felt the price differential over a Z370 MB was fine.

I liberated some Windows 10 Pro codes from some work laptops that came with codes (thank Magic Bean), but were re-imaged with the company PC image, so those codes were never going to be activated. Also will get to use another 512GB m.2 PCie NVMe from work since we swapped them out 1TB versions, and they won't really be used again, can't use them in m.2 caddies as external SSD's since they aren't the SATA m.2 with the proper keyed lanes for use with B+M keyed model.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
WOW!!! That brings back memories. I never knew it was available outside of California.

Man, what a trip, right? It was the first thing I thought of (for some reason) when I read Pat's post.

I used to LOVE reading through all the possibilities contained in one of those puppies. When I went looking for some old covers on the 'net today I came to find out that they had their own version in the UK. It looked exactly the same as the US version.

We also used to have computer shows in our area all the time where vendors from all around (but mostly NYC) would come up for a day-long event at a local armory or Italian-American Club (or some such place) to sell their wares presenting a variety--and prices--like we would never see otherwise.

All those CDs of clip art...and fonts!! :laugh:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Are you a gamer, is that the main reason for building a PC now days?

Not really a gamer, but I noticed my 2012 DIY PC was struggling when I was doing retouching of portraits lately, and I do a ton of photos as my hobby, and since it's been 6.5 years, I figure it was time for another PC. I dread setting up the new PC OS/environment, though.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
since it's been 6.5 years, I figure it was time for another PC.
Coincidentally, I've been doing the exact same thing this evening. My PC is five years old and I've been toying with switching to an AMD CPU.

HZkdovg.jpg

---------------

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Subscribing to this thread. I'm hoping I'm financially able to put together a computer to edit GoPro 4k videos by next Spring. Bought a GoPro this year and it never occurred to me I wouldn't be able to edit vids on my work laptop.

I hope I pickup something from you guys.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, the other motivation is that as new cameras come out with higher and higher resolution sensors, my old PC was getting more sluggish with the files from the newer camera bodies. So, it was time to move to the new-new.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Computer Shopper used to be as thick as a telephone book, and got thinner and thinner as online shopping became all the rage. The last I saw it, it was simply magazine size and not all that thick either.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm actually the opposite, I bought a pre-built one time and told myself never again. I want genuine parts, not OEM, configured for upgrade-ability.

You'll want to check out IBuyPower.com then. You can specify almost all top brand components for whatever slot you want.

Hank_P

Second Unit
I think we just built a very similar pc for the same reason, editing photo and video. I don't game on PC.. no time.

Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero MB
i7-8700 processor
16 GB DDR4 Patriot Memory (3733)
Pioneer Blu Ray player/burner
500 GB NVMe - OS drive
1 TB SSD Samsung Evo - Application drive
4 TB Hybrid Seagate HDD - storage
GeForce Nvidia RTX 2070 video card
Corsair 330R Case
Corsair HX850 power supply
Corsair H100 cooler

...and I haven't built one in about 6 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks