steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Title: A Private War (2018)

Tagline: The Most Powerful Weapon Is The Truth

Genre: Drama, War

Director: Matthew Heineman

Cast: Rosamund Pike, Jamie Dornan, Tom Hollander, Stanley Tucci, Corey Johnson, Faye Marsay, Nikki Amuka-Bird, Alexandra Moen, Raad Rawi, Hilton McRae, Jérémie Laheurte, Fady Elsayed, Manoj Anand, Jesuthasan Antonythasan, Michèle Belgrand, Kishore Bhatt, Gurnita Kaur Kahlon, Pano Masti, Pamela Betsy Cooper, Amanda Smith, Michael Haydon, Bharat Mistri, Imogen King, Ian Morine, Rudy Valentino Grant, Natasha Jayetileke, Faraz M. Khan, Gina Morrish, Angela Yeoh, Helen Iesha Goldthorpe, Nadeem Srouji, Xavier Gomez, Emil Hajj, Wissam Tobaileh

Release: 2018-11-16

Runtime: 106

Plot: One of the most celebrated war correspondents of our time, Marie Colvin is an utterly fearless and rebellious spirit, driven to the frontlines of conflicts across the globe to give voice to the voiceless.

Saw this today, it is a docudrama about a female journalist (Marie Colvin) who covers some of the most dangerous global hot-spots of the 2000s, first in Iraq as Saddam is defeated, then Libya as Quaddafi falls, and then finally the carnage in Syria.

The film is gritty and fast-paced, and does a compelling job conveying the personal but mostly professional pressures faced by Colvin as she does her job, which is driven by her relentless commitment and passion to get the truth out. Rosamund Pike, who usually ignores me, is fantastic, and perhaps Oscar-worthy.

773/1000

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
:laugh:

This was here last weekend but must have totally bombed, because it doesn't appear in showtimes for this upcoming week or next weekend. I like Rosamund Pike, who was fantastic in Gone Girl, but didn't have time to get to this one.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
:laugh:

This was here last weekend but must have totally bombed, because it doesn't appear in showtimes for this upcoming week or next weekend. I like Rosamund Pike, who was fantastic in Gone Girl, but didn't have time to get to this one.
I saw it last night and the entire auditorium to myself. I talked to a friend who saw it on Saturday afternoon and there were 4 people at his showing.

It's a great film, but it's not doing well. It went semi-wide this past weekend (865 screens) and only averaged $811 per screen.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
To be clear, I was laughing at Jose's comment about Pike ignoring him and not the film's gross, which is unfortunate. I get that the studio would probably like to make it into an awards contender and push Pike, but I can't help but wonder if this might have done better at a less-crowded time of year. There are just a lot of options in the marketplace right now for discerning adult audiences, and they can't all be hits. It appears this one just isn't making noise.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I liked the movie. I guess I'd rate it a "B+". Pike is impressive. Some of the editing was a bit busy for my tastes, although they were going for a "shell shocked" mixes up your head and chronology vibe in some places.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks