What's new

The Umbrella Academy (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In October 1989, 43 women around the world gave birth; none of these women had been pregnant when the day first began. Sir Reginald Hargreeves, the wealthy philanthropist and world-renowned scientist, adopted seven of these children. When six of them began displaying extraordinary abilities, he unveiled them to the world.

Now, many years after the team disbanded, this dysfunctional family of superheroes must come together to solve the mystery of their adoptive father's death, the threat of the apocalypse, and more.

Trailer:

Premeres February 15, 2019 on Netflix

The Umbrella Academy:
  1. Tom Hopper as Luther Hargreeves (Spaceboy)
    The team leader. He is gifted with superhuman strength and extraordinary physical resilience.
  2. David Castañeda as Diego Hargreeves (The Kraken)
    The rebellious one. He is gifted with the ability to hold his breath indefinitely. He also has achieved an aptitude with knives equivalent to the most skilled circus knife throwers.
  3. Emmy Raver-Lampman as Allison Hargreeves (The Rumor)
    The narcissistic one. She is gifted with the ability to alter reality by lying, the consequences of which have since derailed her life.
  4. Robert Sheehan as Klaus Hargreeves (The Séance)
    The fretful one. He is gifted with levitation, telekinesis, and the ability to contact the dead.
  5. Aidan Gallagher as Number Five (The Boy)
    The missing one. He is gifted with the ability to travel through time.
  6. Ben Hargreeves (The Horror)
    The dead one. He was gifted with the ability to summon from under his skin monsters from other dimensions. He did not survive until adulthood.
  7. Ellen Page as Vanya Hargreeves (The White Violin)
    Unlike her siblings, she never demonstrated any extraordinary abilities. But there are rumors that she is the most powerful of all of them.
Other cast:
  • Colm Feore as Sir Reginald Hargreeves (The Monocle)
    A world-renowned billionaire industrialist and eccentric inventor—Howard Hughes meets Elon Musk. He is also the adoptive father of seven children who were born under mysterious circumstances and have supernatural abilities. Hargreeves deprived them of any normal childhood, instead relentlessly training and manipulating them into a dysfunctional team of young superheroes.
  • Mary J. Blige as Cha-Cha
    A ruthless and unorthodox hitwoman who travels through time to kill assigned targets. Even though she has a few gripes about the bureaucracy of her employers, this job is her life. She is sadistic, sociopathic, and her reputation precedes her. Her true love is torture, and she thinks of herself as a "pain artist." She really doesn't care for people—except for her partner Hazel.
  • Cameron Britton as Hazel
    An infamously ruthless and efficient hit-man, currently under contract. His job is to time travel and assassinate targets in different decades. Though a loyal company man who has enjoyed what he does for decades, the job starts to wear on him -- which puts him at odds with his equally lethal partner, “Cha-Cha”.
  • Adam Godley as Dr. Pogo
    Pogo is a genetically engineered, tweed jacket-wearing, talking chimpanzee. He is the trusted, wise aide and companion to eccentric billionaire Reginald Hargreeves. Much beloved by the Hargreeves’ adopted children, Pogo tries to carry on his deceased master’s legacy by keeping the siblings together.
  • Ashley Madekwe as Detective Patch
    Detective Eudora “Margot” Patch is a driven, fast riser within the police department focused on solving a string of crimes in the city. Some might call her arrogant, but she gets the job done, and with charm. She plays by the book, but that doesn't make her soft. She isn't sympathetic to vigilantism--which puts her at odds with a certain sibling of the Umbrella Academy.
The Umbrella Academy is based on the popular, Eisner award-winning comics and graphic novels created and written by Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance), illustrated by Gabriel Bá, and published by Dark Horse Comics.

The live-action series is produced by Universal Cable Productions for Netflix. Steve Blackman (Fargo, Altered Carbon) will serve as executive producer and showrunner, with additional executive producers Jeff F. King (Hand of God), Bluegrass Television, and Mike Richardson and Keith Goldberg from Dark Horse Entertainment. Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá will serve as co-executive producers.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Has anybody watched this series? If so, how was it?

I really liked it and have been surprised there has been no discussion here yet.

The show has interesting tone. A little quirky, in a good way. It has a great soundtrack, and some really interesting characters (Five and Hazel being my favorites).

I’d definitely recommend to anyone that likes the sci-fi/heroes genre.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Has anybody watched this series? If so, how was it?
Technically, it's a very accomplished series. The visuals are always cinematic and interesting. The first season has some great music.

But the characters are all suspended adolescents, still boxed in by the behaviors that got them into trouble when they were kids. That results in a lot of wheel spinning over the course of the first season.

There was a moment in the pilot, when all of the Hargreeves children have returned home, and they're all dancing alone in their various rooms to the same song at the same time, that really blew me away. Nothing in any of the subsequent episodes grabbed me in the same way.

I would watch a second season if they make one, but I also wouldn't be too heartbroken if they don't.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
For a 10 episode series, there was too little on the bone to be satisfying. Too many dead and repetitive stretches made it a chore to watch. And then...

It ends with a huge cliffhanger! They made me sit through 9 hours of slog only to pull the rug out and give me nothing! It was like The Killing all over again except that show was more entertaining to watch. I was fucking pissed off after the season finale.

It looked nice but man, it was a waste of my time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The second season dropped today. I'm two episodes in. It's as stylish as ever.

For a 10 episode series, there was too little on the bone to be satisfying. Too many dead and repetitive stretches made it a chore to watch. And then...

It ends with a huge cliffhanger! They made me sit through 9 hours of slog only to pull the rug out and give me nothing! It was like The Killing all over again except that show was more entertaining to watch. I was fucking pissed off after the season finale.

It looked nice but man, it was a waste of my time.
I would agree with your verdict on the first season. So far, though, the second season is significantly better paced.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Same here. I enjoyed the first season but the second season was much better. Told myself I wasn't going to binge it but yup, I binged it.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I loved the first season a great deal! Just one episode into the 2nd series and I love it. Typically, I don't "binge", but will watch one a day. Looking forward to this over the next couple of weeks!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Literally finished Season 2 five minutes ago. That was a satisfying finale! I was concerned there was nowhere interesting to go with the characters after the first season. The character arc with Klaus was really good. But remarkably, season built on all of Season 1 and made good drama based on the now-established characters. I thoroughly enjoyed the second season and hope for a third.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last night I started watching the first season and I'm not though episode three. I'm going to watch two more episodes today and then finish up the rest of the first season this week.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last night I started watching the first season and I'm not though episode three. I'm going to watch two more episodes today and then finish up the rest of the first season this week.
Well, I'm into episode eight now so I expect to finish the first season either tomorrow or on Tuesday.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Finished the second season tonight. I liked it a lot better than the first.
I hope the second season is better as I was unsatisfied with the first season's ending. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first season which is why I watched all ten episodes in less than 48 hours, but the ending left me unsatisfied.

I'm going to take a break before watching the second season as I have so many series I need to watch first. Just to name a few of them:

• Jessica Jones (Third Season)
  • Stranger Things (Third Season)
  • Hanna (First & Second Seasons)
  • The Boys (Complete First Season before moving on to Season Two)
  • Doom Patrol (Complete First Season before moving on to Season Two)
  • Watchmen
  • Outsider
  • Black Lightning (Complete Second Season before moving on to Season Three)

Yes, I know, it's embarrassing as watching series takes up so much more time than just watching a movie.:blush: Hell, at least I completed the first season of "The Umbrella Academy". That's a start.:D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Season 1 and Season 2 are a pair. Season 2 improves on Season 1. If you liked Season 1, I expect you'll enjoy Season 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks