What's new

Atmos Setup: Rear sound coming out with the front, Please Help! :( (1 Viewer)

RickyG512

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky Gogna
Hi Guys,

I have a Yamaha RX-A3070 AV Receiver and suffering from major atmos problems which is super super frustrating, please help!

In reality, I have 5.1.2 Speakers, my 2 Atmos speakers are in-ceiling speakers firing down.

On the amp I have it set to 5.2.2 Bi-Amp where it notices I don't have a 2nd sub and downscales it too 5.1.2 and the 2nd sub disappears from the virtual image which is fine. My Front Left and Right are bi-amp speakers with 4 holes which is also fine. I run the test tone sequence on the amp which is also fine. Every speaker produces the white noise as it should with the corresponding speaker shown on the screen.

Here is where I now have problems, If I run the Dolby Atmos Demo Disk, which has its own speaker test tone sequence, it doesn't produce sound from the correct speakers. Choose 5.1.2 from the Blu-Ray menu, here is what I get:

Object Decoding turned on
Left
: OK
Centre: OK
Right: OK
Surround Left: NOT OK The Surround Left white noise comes out the Surround Left AND Front Left. (2 speakers)
Surround Right: NOT OK The Surround Right white noise comes out the Surround Right AND Front Right. (2 Speakers)
Sub: OK
Ceiling Atmos Left: OK
Ceiling Atmost Right: OK

This is with Object decoding on, blu-ray set to bit stream audio, Atmos Logo shown on the front of the 3070 receiver.

If I turn Object decoding off, I no longer get the Atmos Logo, just normal HD-MA and this is what I get:

Object Deocding turned off
Left
: OK
Centre: OK
Right: OK
Surround Left: OK
Surround Right: OK
Sub: OK
Ceiling Atmos Left: NOT OK The Ceiling Atmos Left white noise comes out the Surround Left
Ceiling Atmost Right: NOT OK The Ceiling Atmos Right white noise comes out the Surround Right

It seems like I can't win, either I can get the 2 ceiling Atmos speakers to work properly with the surround joint with the front, OR the rear surround working ok but with the atmos noise joined with the surround speakers and the ceiling speakers not in use.

I hope I have explained this prbolem clearly. I really feel this isn't how it should be operating. There is a demo on the Dolby Atmos Demo Disc called "Audiospere" which it shows you a white ball with sound circling you on a flat horizontal ring around you with additional sound coming from the sky. Which Object Deocing turned on, when it demonstrates sound circling you around a ring, when its meant to just come out the rears only, it comes out of all 4 corners at this point which cant be right, If i turn object decoding off, the circling ring sound is perfect, but then I loose my sound coming from the sky which now comes out the rears which is also wrong, like I said I can't seem to win!

I tried different 4k blu-rays players, it can't be the disc, it can't be the speakers, I can only think its the Yamhaha RX-A3070 being faulting or my programming of the unit being incorrect.

Has anyone experienced this or know what I'm doing wrong? I've spent a fair bit on this amp and my setup and it's deeply frustrating =(

Note: I have tried switching from 5.2.2 Bi-Amp to 7.2.2 (single amp), I re-run the calibration software and microphone, which auto detects I haven't got a 6th and 7th speakers and a 2nd subwoofer, which downscales me back to 5.1.2 to the virtual image but single-amp this time and I still have the exact same problem, =(

20181209_174927.jpg

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
If you have your front speakers to Large and double bass is turned On, the receiver will send lower freq to the front speakers. Try setting all speakers to Small and test again.

Brian

RickyG512

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky Gogna
Hi Brian, thanks for you reply.

After reading your reply I really thought that could be the trick but unfortunately that didn't work :(

I tried all on large, all on small, double bass on and off but no luck, I also reset the entire receiver and still no luck. Weirdly now I can't even get the Atmos logo on the front of the receiver after the reset. So frustrating now.

Is there something I'm missing?

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
If that wasn't the cause, I would then check to make sure the speakers are connected to the correct outputs, settings are correct in the receiver and finally, I would double check the bluray to see if it is down mixing the signal.

Brian

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Have you tried playing an Atmos trailer from a disc other than the Demo disc? I ask this for three reasons:

1. The disc is not available to the public (although I have seen it for sale on e-Bay, which is often flooded with pirated/bootlegged discs)

2. You say "If I turn Object decoding off, I no longer get the Atmos Logo, just normal HD-MA." If this is an Atmos disc, it should read TrueHD and not HD-MA (that is DTS).

3. You also say "I tried different 4k blu-rays players, it can't be the disc, it can't be the speakers, I can only think its the Yamhaha RX-A3070 being faulting or my programming of the unit being incorrect." If it is a faulty disc, it would play back the same regardless of which player was used.

RickyG512

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky Gogna
@xx Brian xx

The rears are only connected to the rears and front only to the fronts. I don't believe any wires are touching, the problem is the rear sound is joint with the front, so rear sound is coming out all 4 corners when rear should just be rear. The rear sound only comes out the rear only (as it should) when "object decoding" is turned off, so I believe it's wired ok. I've played with every setting and turned some of the virtual speaker settings off too. I've tried different blu ray players too, if you meant the disk, I wouldn't of thought the disc is downmixing as its showing the Atmos logo on the AV receiver (not anymore after the reset though :( )

@Todd Erwin

Hi Todd, sorry you're right, I meant TrueHD after I turned "object decoding" off. I also see what you're saying, but the reason why I wasn't too keen on trying a normal Atmos movie was because it would be a lot harder to detect the fault, I would have to find a scene in the movie which clearly produces a sound from the rear which is meant for the rear only, and make sure I'm not hearing this same sound coming out the front too. With the Demo Disc, with the test tone or Audiospher, it's very easy to detect the fault with the visual representation.

I shall try a normal atmos movie, but I wonder if I will get my Atmos logo back after this AV Receiver reset I done, not sure why it doesnt display the Atmos logo anymore, it wont show any logo for that matter =/

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I run the test tone sequence on the amp which is also fine. Every speaker produces the white noise as it should with the corresponding speaker shown on the screen.

If the above is true then I would say the problem is clearly in the encoding of the Atmos disc you are using. The receiver appears to behave as expected until the aforementioned disc is added to the equation. You need to find another Atmos demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks