Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

The Original Christmas Specials Collection: Deluxe Edition Blu-ray Review
Rudolph-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I only have the Rudolph single that was released a few years ago, but this review is tempting...

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if they offered Little Drummer Boy and Cricket on a Hearth as a separate release for those that already bought the previous Original Christmas Specials on blu that didn't include those 2.

MDS

Agent
Real Name
Michael Shayne
It's too bad that the special features don't have the alternate songs, other material and end titles for Rudolph. Most interesting was that the first broadcast on NBC did not have Santa going back to the Island of Misfit Toys to get the toys. Audiences complained and the producers filmed a new ending in which Santa picked up the toys; which resulted in editing previous material to accommodate the new scene. Saw a recent video on Youtube that showed all the differences over the years NBC, CBS and home video. Never realized all the changes that were made.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the review. I just watched Rudolph on Blu-ray last night. I didn't really loop into these Rankin-Bass specials until a few years ago when my best friend (younger and who grew up with them) insisted I watch them. This is my favorite of the bunch.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have The Original Christmas Classics Anniversary Collector's Edition BD that was released in 2015. It includes these five features, as well as Little Drummer Boy, Frosty Returns and Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol. I assume these are the same transfers for the repeat features, correct?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Would you happen to know if the sound mix on Little Drummer Boy has been fixed? In case you're unsure what I mean, the previous digital releases left out several crucial sound effects and at one point near the end ("And as Aaron looked at the babe...), Greer Garson's narration is replaced by a man for some unknown reasons. It is partially because of this snafu that I have been sticking with my old VHS of the special, which has the original, unadulterated sound mix.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have The Original Christmas Classics Anniversary Collector's Edition BD that was released in 2015. It includes these five features, as well as Little Drummer Boy, Frosty Returns and Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol. I assume these are the same transfers for the repeat features, correct?
I think that version was an exclusive version released at Target or Walmart or somewhere like that. I have the 2015 release I bought on Amazon in 2016 and it only includes Frosty, Frosty returns, Santa Claus and Rudolph. It does not have Little Drummer Boy, Cricket on a Hearth and Mr. Magoo. I bought the individual release of Magoo's Christmas Carol separately.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think that version was an exclusive version released at Target or Walmart or somewhere like that. I have the 2015 release I bought on Amazon in 2016 and it only includes Frosty, Frosty returns, Santa Claus and Rudolph. It does not have Little Drummer Boy, Cricket on a Hearth and Mr. Magoo. I bought the individual release of Magoo's Christmas Carol separately.
I bought it at Amazon in December of 2015. It was released on 9/8/15, according to the data in my DVD Profiler database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks