What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Venom -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sony has released Venom, part of the Marvel universe, with Tom Hardy as the afflicted dumb-ass reporter.

While I look forward to virtually anything with Mr. Hardy, who imho, is one of our finest actors, this one was painful.

At 112 minutes, it seems both over-long, and short at the same time, lacking any real cohesiveness, as if an hour had been removed, that might have contained a film.

Regardless of my feelings toward the piece, Sony's new 4k is a magnificent affair, with superb Dolby Atmos as well as Dolby Vision, which makes some of the effects seem incomplete, or lacking.

It is rumored that Douglas Rain was the voice of Venom.

Image - 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I just watched this in 4K/DV/5.1.2 Atmos. I agree with RAH's ratings on audio/video.

Where my experience differed was my enjoyment of the film. I don't know why, and maybe it says something bad about me, but I found myself laughing throughout most of the movie (in a good way, not in a mocking way). I think the screenwriter, director and I have similar senses of humor. Admittedly, it doesn't work for everyone, but it worked for me.

I missed this in the theater because I wasn't a follower of Venom. Even though I read comics in the 80s I was more an X-Men/X-Factor fan than a Spider-Man fan. Also it received critically mixed reviews and a relatively low IMDb score, so I said no thanks during the theatrical run.

But for whatever reason when it came out on 4K, I just picked one up because I happened to be in Best Buy on release date. I'm very glad that I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks