What's new

Toshiba TV 55VX700U Audio Output Connections and Controls (1 Viewer)

fred339

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred
I'm configuring a small and very modest home theater out of equipment that I've assembled.
This is built around a Toshiba 55VX700U TV which is a bit of a strange animal if I say so.
Because of hearing loss, I'm using an analog equalizer and amplifier with RCA jacks. I'm not trying to get *great* audio, just boost the highs for better intelligibility when watching videos.
Getting audio out of the TV is proving to be a challenge.

The TV has a digital optical output that had been used successfully in another configuration but I don't plan to use a digital optical input in this new configuration.
The TV is supposed to be able to output audio on one of the 4 HDMI ports - I believe it's going to be HDMI 1 (ARC) but so far it isn't doing anything.
To interface the analog equipment with the TV, I bought an HDMI Extractor:
HDMI to HDMI and Audio (SPDIF + RCA L/R ) Extractor SKU: 47-300-022

I have two basic questions:

How to set up this TV for audio output on HDMI? The instructions are pretty vague.
I haven't found *anything* that suggests how to turn it on - only that it's supposed to work.
I really believe if this is resolved the I can get it to work.

The other question is how to set the Extractor?
This looks easier and there are only a few buttons to play with on it anyway.

I have read some things about what to power up first and last, etc. Is this really important with HDMI connections?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I feel your pain about the current state of TV audio outputs. We went through the same thing a few years back when I was trying to buy a TV for my mother. We needed a variable analog output (in order to control the volume of an external sound system with the TV remote), with an option to turn off the internal speakers (you don’t want them on if you have an external sound system). Even reviewing on-line manuals before hand, with some of these things you don’t for sure what you have until you get it home and hook it up.

That said, if the ARC works (that’s always a gamble), all you need to do is send the RCA cables from the converter box to your EQ/amplifier system.

If that doesn’t fly (due to ARC), your best bet would be to return the HDMI converter box and get a digital optical to analog RCA converter box. There should be no issues with that approach.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

fred339

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred
Wayne: Good idea! I didn't know those things existed but should have looked into it first. They are less money than the HDMI to RCA Extractors too!
But, since I have the extractor, any notion how to get the TV to output on the HDMI 1 (ARC) port?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sorry, I know nothing of ARC except that it’s blinky. It’s possible it won’t work at all for you, since there is no two-way signal involved.

I’d say if you follow the instructions in the TV manual and it doesn’t work, then ditch it and go the other route.

Regards,
Wayne

fred339

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred
There *are* no instructions in the TV manual. It just says that it will work. There is no mention of controls, etc. That's why I was asking in hope that someone may know the secrets....

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
There *are* no instructions in the TV manual. It just says that it will work. There is no mention of controls, etc. That's why I was asking in hope that someone may know the secrets....
I checked your manual online it looks like they call it REGZAlink
Make sure that is enabled in the menu if you intend to use HDMI ... Most of the receiver makers have their own names. I'vs had good luck with getting different companies' ARC to work but it can be wonky... saying a few prayers are usually required before they will work ...

fred339

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred
Oh. OK thanks. Just to be clear, when I said "controls", I meant TV menu items and settings.

'REGZAlink seems to be about inter-device settings/controls over HDMI similar to what some systems (like Technics) distribute remote control over 3.5mm-connected cables box-to-box so that things like power-on/off can be shared.

The HDMI 1 (ARC) connector on the TV can be an input it appears. But it is supposed to double as an audio output (using ARC I guess).
But I find nothing in the manual or in the menus that suggest turning ARC on or off or changing HDMI 1 from input to output.
But maybe I don't understand ARC. Might it be an output buried in an input connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks