Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Title: Ghostbusters 2020 (2020)

Genre: Science Fiction, Comedy

Director: Jason Reitman

Release: 2020-07-10

Plot: A third entry in the original "Ghostbusters" series, focusing on four teenagers: two boys and two girls. Plot unknown.

Sony Pictures is once again calling on the Ghostbusters, this time enlisting Jason Reitman as director.

Reitman, the son of original Ghostbustershelmer Ivan Reitman, will helm a new Ghostbusters movie that he has been working on in secret.

The filmmaker discreetly co-wrote a script with Gil Kenan, director of the animated movie Monster House, and the pic is set to go into production this summer with an eye on a 2020 release.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jason-reitman-direct-new-ghostbusters-movie-1176512

Last edited by a moderator:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Nice to hear it's based on the 80's version world (set in current day), not the woman's versions world.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disclaimer: I'm not attached to the Ghostbusters franchise at all I'm pretty sure I've seen parts of the first two on TV at some point and I saw the reboot because a friend recommended it, which I thought was fine, but didn't inspire tremendous passion in me either way. I did think that it was more expensive than it probably needed to be, and would have been solidly profitable with the box office returns that it had if the budget had been smaller to begin with.

That being said, Jason Reitman hasn't had a hit movie in quite some time, so this should at least give him one that a lot of people see.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Not to mention he has dad in his hip pocket to help out. My guess is they will be able to pull in most of the still living cast to at least guest in it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'd also like to say how remarkable it is that this seems to have come together rather quickly and under wraps until the announcement yesterday. They've already got a teaser trailer up, and they're going to be shooting this year to make a release date in 2020. It's pretty damn impressive that they were able to keep this hush-hush for so long.

I have liked most of Jason Reitman's films, so I will probably see this one, and I'm happy for him that he got the job.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My guess is they will be able to pull in most of the still living cast to at least guest in it.
Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson both retweeted the teaser trailer with the hashtag #GB20, so it would seem to be a lock that they're both involved in a significant way.

Bill Murray will probably have a featured cameo, if he's in it at all.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Put me in the camp that enjoyed the Feig film more than GB2. Neither are in a class with the original film.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That being said, Jason Reitman hasn't had a hit movie in quite some time, so this should at least give him one that a lot of people see.

Reitman only ever had 2 successful movies: "Juno" and "Up in the Air".

"Thank You For Smoking" turned a profit because it had a low budget, but it wasn't an actual "hit"...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

"Thank You For Smoking" turned a profit because it had a low budget, but it wasn't an actual "hit"...
I've found something to appreciate in every movie by Jason Reitman I've seen, even the misfires.

What I find interesting about this is that Ghostbusters movies aren't the kind of movies he normally makes. I'm interested to see what he does with it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What I find interesting about this is that Ghostbusters movies aren't the kind of movies he normally makes. I'm interested to see what he does with it.

I think these two things are connected.

Look at the grosses: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=jasonreitman.htm

His most recent films have been lower than usual, even -- Tully topped out at $9 million in early summer, and poor The Front Runner has grossed only $2 million in its entire run since November. Before those, Men, Women and Children didn't even cross $1 million. There's got to be a point where people with money look at his track record and begin to question the validity of giving him more money to go make another film when the ones he is putting out aren't getting seen in big numbers. I love the movies of his that I've seen, and I say this as a fan, but he's not in the hit-making business.

Ghostbusters will be a hit. Even if it were to underperform, it would almost certainly become his highest-grossing film of all time, which is currently Juno with $143 million. It will remind those in the industry of his capabilities and viability as a filmmaker, and he will be well-compensated for it. He might then find more opportunities given to him to do more original films as a result. By this I don't mean to imply that he is only taking it for the profile boost, which I'm sure is not the case. But I'm also sure he knows that having a hit with Ghostbusters can only help his career.

And then of course, there's also his family connection with this franchise that probably makes it attractive to him in a way that other franchise pictures might not be.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Ghostbusters will be a hit. Even if it were to underperform, it would almost certainly become his highest-grossing film of all time, which is currently Juno with $143 million.

The Feig "Ghostbusters" only made $128 million - why do you feel so sure the JR one will top it?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've found something to appreciate in every movie by Jason Reitman I've seen, even the misfires.

I liked "Juno" and "Up in the Air" a lot - both were very good movies across the board.

The rest? Not so much.

"Smoking" has its moments but sputters too often. "Tully" starts reasonably well but quickly goes off the rails. "Front Runner" feels more like an ill-timed attack on the media than an exploration of its subject matter.

And "Labor Day" is a cringe-inducing disaster. Haven't seen the others.

I can find "something to appreciate" in the 1st 3 movies, but their negatives far outweigh their positives for me.

I can't find anything good about "Labor Day"!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The Feig "Ghostbusters" only made $128 million - why do you feel so sure the JR one will top it?
Old school Name recognition. Reitman name. Sequel not reboot. No stupid controversy. Original Stars most likely reprising roles. I think it will outgross Feig’s easily.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Old school Name recognition. Reitman name. Sequel not reboot. No stupid controversy. Original Stars most likely reprising roles. I think it will outgross Feig’s easily.

You assume no "stupid controversy" - you underestimate the idiocy of the Internet! :D

There will be some "controversy" attached, I think - too much animosity from the prior film that still bugs the people who got into a tizzy about the female-oriented Feig film.

And I don't think the Reitman name means a whole lot - at least not Jason's. How many casual film fans know who directed the 1984 film anyway?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Usually but sometimes it gets to be too much. Ghostbusters was too much. :)

Due to a lack of interest in the reboot I did not follow the Ghostbuster fan meltdowns though I was aware of the backlash about female Ghostbusters. Personally, I found that bizarre but after seeing the Star Wars fans explode into a crazed riot over the last round of Star Wars films I had a distinct urge to stay away from Star Wars fans.

I may actually watch this Reitman Ghostbusters picture because I have really enjoyed his work. I am a huge fan of Thank You for Smoking which should get a blu-ray release.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks