What's new

Harrison Ford is The Fugitive

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Title: The Fugitive (1993)

Tagline: A murdered wife. A one-armed man. An obsessed detective. The chase begins.

Genre: Adventure, Action, Thriller, Crime, Mystery

Director: Andrew Davis

Cast: Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, Sela Ward, Julianne Moore, Joe Pantoliano, Andreas Katsulas, Jeroen Krabbé, Daniel Roebuck, L. Scott Caldwell, Ron Dean, Joseph F. Kosala, Tom Wood, Dick Cusack, Richard Riehle, Andy Romano, Nick Searcy, Miguel Nino, John Drummond, David Darlow, Jane Lynch, Neil Flynn, Kevin Crowley, Mark D. Espinoza, Gene Barge, Joe Guzaldo, Nicholas Kusenko, Joan Kohn, Joe Guastaferro, Thom Vernon, Ken Moreno, Eddie Bo Smith Jr., Frank Ray Perilli, Pancho Demmings, Jim Wilkey, Danny Goldring, Michael James, Michael Skewes, Cody Glenn, Cynthia Baker, Johnny Lee Davenport, Mike Bacarella, Bill Cusack, Tighe Barry, Afram Bill Williams, Noelle Bou-Sliman, Greg Hollimon, Cheryl Lynn Bruce, Ann Whitney, Turk Muller, Eugene F. Crededio, Pam Zekman, David Pasquesi, Dru Anne Carlson, Kirsten Nelson, Juan Ramírez, Allen Hamilton, Lester Holt, Suzy Brack, Darren W. Conrad, Kevin Mukherji, Sal Richards, John-Clay Scott

Release: 1993-08-06

Runtime: 131

Plot: Wrongfully accused of murdering his wife, Richard Kimble escapes from the law in an attempt to find her killer and clear his name. Pursuing him is a team of U.S. marshals led by Deputy Samuel Gerard, a determined detective who will not rest until Richard is captured. As Richard leads the team through a series of intricate chases, he discovers the secrets behind his wife's death and struggles to expose the killer before it is too late.

I first saw it opening day at the Chinese. The train wreck really knocked everyone on their ass. The theater wasn’t quiet for a while after that. I love that it was largely, if not completely, done with real train cars. Simply watching it, even today, takes my breath away. It’s like the hospital scene in Gone With The Wind. It feels real.

I love so much about The Fugitive feature, including the score, the cast, and the script.

But last night’s viewing left me questioning a couple of things in this movie for their logic.

First, at the end, when Kimble goes to the unveiling of the drug, with Nichols at the podium, why do they have to go into a private room and talk about it? Kimble said he could prove it. Why doesn’t he just find a cop and finger Nichols? Who cares if they arrest Kimble at that point? If he has the proof, which he does, what does it matter?

Is there a logical reason Richard wanted to go be alone with Nichols? When I think about it, the motivation seems entirely absurd, there to do nothing but provide the inciting incident for the climactic action sequence—something they could have incited right there in the auditorium to begin with.

Also: Near the end, Gerard shouts to Kimble in the laundry that he knows Kimble is innocent, detailing exactly how he knows it. Then he says something that makes absolutely no sense to me:

“I’m either lying or I’m going to shoot you.”

WTF? Am I missing something or is this one of those cute screenwriter’s lines that sounds good but when you go to unpack it, it makes utterly no sense.

If Gerard is telling him the truth so he’ll come out, great, but why then would Gerard turn around and suggest 1) he could be lying; or 2) he might shoot Kimble.

Yeah, that’ll make Richard stick his head out.

Gerard doesn’t seem to be joking because he concludes by asking, “What do you think?”

Anyway, last night, watching this film, those two things jumped out at me.

This is not a top-ten movie for me but I have it in my top 25. Oddly enough, I have never seen the sequel, probably because so many people told me it wasn’t that good.

But how lucky was it that they went and made a great movie starring Harrison Ford from my favorite TV show?

Harrison Ford is The Fugitive!

Last edited by a moderator:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
That real train wreck is amazing....When I saw it opening night at the Big Edwards theater in Newport Beach the audience was also a bit stunned.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's a great movie - terrific action, a good story and Ford is great as the weary but determined innocent man. But the movie definitely lacked the TV show's pathos and its social commentary on the state of life in America.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
“I’m either lying or I’m going to shoot you.”

WTF? Am I missing something or is this one of those cute screenwriter’s lines that sounds good but when you go to unpack it, it makes utterly no sense.

I believe that some screenwriters like to insert "movie lines" that are basically lines that are dumb, make little sense, and are a little wave to the audience that you are watching a movie.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ford's best film.

I like The Fugitive a lot, but it doesn't quite make it to the top for me. Here's my top 10 for Harrison Ford....

1. The Mosquito Coast
2. Blade Runner
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark/Indiana Jones Series
4. Star Wars/ Han Solo
5. The Frisco Kid
6. Witness
7. The Fugitive
8. 42
9. Sabrina
10. The Call of the Wild (the dog was digital but Harrison Ford was real.)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Witness is his best performance. Period. Nothing comes close to this well deserved, and only, Oscar nominated performs his career.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I like The Fugitive a lot, but it doesn't quite make it to the top for me. Here's my top 10 for Harrison Ford....

1. The Mosquito Coast
2. Blade Runner
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark/Indiana Jones Series
4. Star Wars/ Han Solo
5. The Frisco Kid
6. Witness
7. The Fugitive
8. 42
9. Sabrina
10. The Call of the Wild (the dog was digital but Harrison Ford was real.)
No Air Force One?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I like how wtuhami is like reviving dead people these past days. He has saved many people. :)

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
My personal choice for Harrison Ford’s best performance is Witness; no matter how many viewings of this film I have the performance quality and direction stand out.
The Fugitive and Regarding Henry are my other favourites outside Indy.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks