Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Cold Pursuit

Tagline: The perfect revenge is all in the execution

Genre: Thriller, Action, Drama

Director: Hans Petter Moland

Cast: Liam Neeson, Laura Dern, Emmy Rossum, Tom Bateman, William Forsythe, Julia Jones

Release: 2019-02-07

Runtime: 118

Plot: Nels Coxman's quiet life comes crashing down when his beloved son dies under mysterious circumstances. His search for the truth soon becomes a quest for revenge as he seeks coldblooded justice against a drug lord and his inner circle.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The interesting thing here is the same director that made the original film is also directing this. So, he gets a second shot at the material now with Neeson and in English.

I actually have the original film on blu-ray, In Order of Disappearance is the English title. Interestingly, there is an English dub of the film on the disc as an option but it is not the actual actors voicing the characters so it is fairly weird. Plus I really like Stellan Skarsgard so I can't tolerate another actor providing his voice.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Probably seems that way but this was not written as a vehicle for another "Neeson goes after bad guys that went after his kid" film and it is a black comedy.

Well, we'll see. The trailer does not do much to send the message that the film is a black comedy, at least to me. After watching it, my biggest reaction was the thought that Liam Neeson was playing yet another role of the aggrieved father out for revenge.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, we'll see. The trailer does not do much to send the message that the film is a black comedy, at least to me. After watching it, my biggest reaction was the thought that Liam Neeson was playing yet another role of the aggrieved father out for revenge.

Well, I am basing the black comedy part on the original film and it is the same director so I would think that would be part of the English remake. He is avenging the death of his son though so yes, he's the bad ass dad making the bad guys pay for what they did...which Neeson now has down pat but I wonder if this is sort of stunt casting specifically to make fun of Liam's reputation for this kind of thing.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I LOVE the original version. I hadn't heard of a remake, so when I recently saw the TV ad, I said "Hey -- that looks like "In Order of Disappearance"!!! Liam Neeson seems like a good fit for the lead role. Not sure it can be as good as the original, but hopefully, the same director won't muck it up.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
After watching the original, I'll skip this remake. The trailer told the entire story and also shows that it is pretty well a scene for scene repeat of the original. Pretty well a totally unneeded remake of an already decent picture. Frankly, I don't know why the director of this film would want to do a retread of material that he already covered extremely well in his original film. I guess he couldn't turn down the lure of Hollywood money.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
After watching the original, I'll skip this remake. The trailer told the entire story and also shows that it is pretty well a scene for scene repeat of the original. Pretty well a totally unneeded remake of an already decent picture. Frankly, I don't know why the director of this film would want to do a retread of material that he already covered extremely well in his original film. I guess he couldn't turn down the lure of Hollywood money.

I don't think there was any great lure of Hollywood money to do a remake of a film like this. The remake is unlikely to be some sort of giant smash and cash cow. Neeson doing it becomes the biggest draw if they can make people think he is doing his role from Taken in another film.

I think Mr. Moland is doing the remake in English because English speaking countries tend not to pay attention to films made in a foreign language. So, it is a chance to get the film in front of another audience.

I bet very few people in the US have even heard of never mind actually saw the original film.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Liam sure stuck his loafers in his mouth. You have to wonder what would possess the guy to say what he said in these racially sensitive times, especially when he has a film about to go into release? Regardless of his explanation, there is no way that he hasn't severely damaged his career and possibly the opening of this film with such little thought out navel gazing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You have to wonder what would possess the guy to say what he said in these racially sensitive times, especially when he has a film about to go into release?

I've got to say, @Edwin-S, you and I often don't see eye to eye, but I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. It's my understanding that his comments (which I don't even really feel comfortable repeating here in context of discussing them) came in the middle of a junket interview where he was supposed to be promoting the film. I'm not sure why he felt that disclosing this bizarre personal incident would help promote the film, or how anyone would benefit from him telling it at all.

It will be hard to tell how much impact this has on the opening for the film, because I don't think it was going to open very big in the first place. Lego is and was obviously going to be the big-big film for this weekend regardless. I liked the first Taken, but haven't felt any desire to see any of Neesson's other action roles in its vein, and I wasn't going to see this one anyway either. I do like him as an actor but prefer his more serious roles, I guess.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I saw the director's original Norwegian language film that this remake is based on and I feel that English language remake cannot add anything to a film that was already very well done. From the trailer, the remake is a beat for beat redo. If I want to watch the story again, then I would just watch the Norwegian version. Funny thing is this and the original are being touted as black comedies. I really didn't find anything particularly funny in the original version. It pretty well came off to me as a crime drama.

I suppose one could extrapolate that Neeson was trying to demonstrate how he could relate to the feelings and actions the main character takes in the film. I just think he did a piss poor job of communicating that connection. He could have talked about the incident he experienced and the feelings that it brought up in general terms while discussing how it made the main character relatable to him. He didn't have to get as specific as he did and start bringing up details that would only guarantee a backlash and cause the duality between what he experienced in reality and the fictional version to be lost.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Liam sure stuck his loafers in his mouth. You have to wonder what would possess the guy to say what he said in these racially sensitive times, especially when he has a film about to go into release? Regardless of his explanation, there is no way that he hasn't severely damaged his career and possibly the opening of this film with such little thought out navel gazing.

I have not seen nor heard his comments, nor even heard about them until now. I guess I will go to the google machine and see what that dredges up.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks