What's new

International The Prince Of Tides Blu Ray From Sony In Spain (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
https://www.amazon.es/The-Prince-of...5953&creativeASIN=B07MJT45NJ&m=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL

Always worry about bootlegs from Spain but it is listed on Amazon's Spanish site as being released February 6th. Studio listed as Sony.

Sony or TT or Criterion or someone should be releasing this in the U.S. with the Barbra Streisand commentary from the Criterion laser disc. It's inarguably the best of Streisand's directorial efforts and features what should have been Nick Nolte's Oscar-winning performance.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Dick -- I agree with you entirely. It's Streisand's finest directorial effort, along with Nick Nolte's career-best performance. Would also love to hear the sweeping musical score by James Newton Howard in Lossless Audio on Blu-ray. Maybe Twilight Time, with its access to the Columbia catalog, will release it. Or, even better, Criterion with the Streisand commentary that was included on the laserdisc (which I still own).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yeah it’s disappointing that Criterion hasn’t reissued this film in DVD or BluRay. I didn’t buy the laserdisc, so I never heard Streisand’s commentary. A really good film- one of my favorite 50 films.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Prince of Tides.jpg

Sony's name and logo are printed on the side. I don't think bootlegs ever have this.

Sony in Spain.jpeg

And Sony has a division in Madrid (from the rear cover of "Hook").

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I disagree on it being Streisand’s finest directorial hour (which I would give to Yentl), but would love to own it on blu-ray.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
The Prince of Tides left me with a sincere lump in my throat. Too many heart-wrenching scenes, so true to life it hurts. Wonderful performances from Nolte and, of course, la Streisand, who also directs the hell out of this one with a visual panache that envelopes the audience and holds them enthralled through every heavy-hitting scene. Why this, and The Mirror Has Two Faces, have NEVER found their way to Blu-ray is, frankly, beyond me. One would think Streisand's clout would have warranted it long ago!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The Prince of Tides left me with a sincere lump in my throat. Too many heart-wrenching scenes, so true to life it hurts. Wonderful performances from Nolte and, of course, la Streisand, who also directs the hell out of this one with a visual panache that envelopes the audience and holds them enthralled through every heavy-hitting scene. Why this, and The Mirror Has Two Faces, have NEVER found their way to Blu-ray is, frankly, beyond me. One would think Streisand's clout would have warranted it long ago!

Or maybe her lack of clout kept it in the vault? The fact that she wasn't even NOMINATED for Yentl or Tides says something. I don't know. :unsure:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

If the Pat Conroy novel had never existed and this was an original screenplay I might agree with you. But changes from the novel almost turns this into a Streisand vanity project. The Streisand/Nolte romance takes center stage where it didn't in the book. So much of the novel's backstory is eliminated like Nolte's relationship with his brothers and sister to make room for more Babs. His brother Luke whose tragic story is a core part of the novel is almost erased from the film (seen only briefly in flashbacks) and the character of his sister (Melinda Dillon) is reduced to a cameo when she is a major part of the novel. In fact, the flashbacks are the backbone of the novel. Streisand's lovingly shot glamour close ups of herself sees her character as some kind of goddess like savior which the Lowenstein of the novel certainly was not. She makes sure she has the last word too when Nolte mutters her name gratefully as the film ends.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Looks like there will be a U.S. Blu-Ray release of "Prince Of Tides" sooner than we think. This was taken from "The Barbra Streisand Archives" (a fan site on Barbra). The guy who runs the site know everything and anything about Barbra. This posting was posted back in March.....so hopefully there will be a Blu-Ray release for the 2019 holiday season (See below in RED)

Barbra Talks YENTL ... and More

Last night (3/5/19), Barbra spoke after a screening of her film YENTL as part of Women in Entertainment and the Writers Guild of America West's new screening series, "In Her Words: Spotlight on Women Writers in Film & TV."

Based on several reports I've read from fans who were there, here's the best bits that Barbra revealed last night:

- She's working on a PRINCE OF TIDES Blu-ray, even going back and editing her director's commentary which was on the Criterion Laser Disc.

- She was offered SPLASH (the mermaid movie) back in the day, but her agent never told her.

- She has several chapters in her memoir on A STAR IS BORN and YENTL. She's still writing it (talking into a recorder) and is editing it now, too.

- She spoke about recording "My Man" live on the FUNNY GIRL film -- a story she will share on screen in the new documentary, MAKING WAVES: THE ART OF CINEMATIC SOUND (playing film festivals soon).

- She mentioned again that she is about to start directing a movie that she was going to star in years ago (but she did not offer the title of the movie or its subject matter).

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
If the Pat Conroy novel had never existed and this was an original screenplay I might agree with you. But changes from the novel almost turns this into a Streisand vanity project. The Streisand/Nolte romance takes center stage where it didn't in the book. So much of the novel's backstory is eliminated like Nolte's relationship with his brothers and sister to make room for more Babs. His brother Luke whose tragic story is a core part of the novel is almost erased from the film (seen only briefly in flashbacks) and the character of his sister (Melinda Dillon) is reduced to a cameo when she is a major part of the novel. In fact, the flashbacks are the backbone of the novel. Streisand's lovingly shot glamour close ups of herself sees her character as some kind of goddess like savior which the Lowenstein of the novel certainly was not. She makes sure she has the last word too when Nolte mutters her name gratefully as the film ends.

Dear Thomas:

I've learned long ago that movies are not literal translations of the novels on which a good many of them are based. Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind is nothing like the movie, but it still is one of my favorite novels and my absolute favorite movie of all time.

Samuel Goldwyn's Wuthering Heights omits pretty much all but the core chapters of Bronte's novel, but still has managed to be considered 'the definitive' cinematic incarnation of that masterwork.

Mildred Pierce had an incestuous relationship with her daughter, Vida in the novel. None of that in la Crawford's version either.

I could go on, but won't. Movies are not intended to be page-by-page translations of their source material and those that have oft tried to achieve as much have miserably failed to be great movies besides.

Barbra captured the essence of The Prince of Tides without remaining slavishly devoted to every last word in Pat Conroy's novel. I don't prefer one over the other, but have grown to admire them both as quintessential pieces of art in their respective medias.

I suppose we differ here in our appreciation of the movie, and that's okay. But its not crap, just because it didn't copy the book's agenda verbatim. It worked as an emotional experience - at least, for me, and I suspect a goodly number of others who saw it theatrically. Powerful drama, great cinematography, wonderful chemistry between the two co-stars, and yet, still, managing to capture the emotional roller coaster ride of Conroy's superb prose. All in all - a winner, despite its narrative deviations.

I suppose Streisand could have opted to shoot an epic or a mini-series, in which all of the particulars in Conroy's book would have, and could have been explored in a more linear timeline. She opted instead to have all points of the narrative stem from Lowenstein's sessions with Tom. Dramatically, that worked for me.

Even at 2 hr. 12 min. there really wasn't a whole lot of time for much else - unless she relied on montage, or even more brief and frequently inserted flashbacks to needlessly 'pad' the story she was trying to tell. That would have deprived us of the focal point which, in this case, is Streisand. Wearing both hats, as director and star, she managed to excel and reshape the narrative so it made sense as cinema and, more importantly, enveloped the audience in the essence of Conroy's beloved authorship. So, still a win-win for me.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
That would have deprived us of the focal point which, in this case, is Streisand. .

Well, on that point, we agree though I suspect for different reasons :) For me, the the tragic story of the Wingo family is the core of the story, it's not padding. It's so much more powerful than the Tom and Susan romance. But hey, that's just me!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

So, Tom...tell us what you really think! :) But I do feel as though the film's final ten or twelve minutes are very anticlimactic, and do appear blatantly to be a Streisand showcase. Up to then, I regard the film very highly.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
So, Tom...tell us what you really think! :) But I do feel as though the film's final ten or twelve minutes are very anticlimactic, and do appear blatantly to be a Streisand showcase. Up to then, I regard the film very highly.

I don't mean to sound like I'm anti-Streisand. Far from it. I think she's a super talent. Her Yentl is a triumph in every department, her performance in Funny Girl is a bravura tour de force, love her in The Way We Were and Hello Dolly and I think her performance in Nuts was seriously overlooked and award worthy. But I think her ego got in the way of Prince Of Tides (she asked John Barry to write the score and he met with her but realized he could never work with her and walked away). If she'd only directed and cast another actress (Jane Fonda?) in the role of Lowenstein, she might have been able to be more objective rather than narcissistic.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
If she'd only directed and cast another actress (Jane Fonda?) in the role of Lowenstein, she might have been able to be more objective rather than narcissistic.

My understanding is that Streisand's directorial efforts were contingent on her actually being in the films.

Everything I have read is that Pat Conroy is extremely happy with the film version of Prince of Tides....

And Thomas - you gotta love her in What's Up Doc ? !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks