1. THE RELEASED A FEW YEARS AGO VERSION STARRING BENEDICT cUMBERBATCH

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
???

Benedict Cumberbatch was not in a “Hamlet released a few years ago.”

The last version released was in 1996.

All I want is the 1948 Olivier version. Get off ur but, Criterion!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Benedict Cumberbatch Hamlet was a theater performance captured live and streamed to cinemas around the world. This, like all the other National Theatre Live performances, was only made to be shown in movie theaters (as well as some educational platforms) and will never be released commercially likely due to contractual reasons. There are other NTLive productions that I'd love to own a legitimate copy of. In particular, the Benedict Cumberbatch/Johnny Lee Miller performances of Frankenstein directed by Danny Boyle and Kenneth Branagh's production of Macbeth. Some decent quality versions of NTLive performances have leaked online though, so if you've never seen them, you may not be completely out of luck.

Back to movie Hamlets, we're still awaiting Blu-ray releases of the Mel Gibson and Laurence Olivier Hamlets. Ethan Hawke too.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Olivier Hamlet Bu ray UK Region B
Gibson Hamlet Blu ray Australia Region Free

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I have the UK Bluray 1948 Best Picture. Looks Nice. Criterion Never Releases it. They have dvds that Still have NOT been upgraded to Bluray. Oliver Twist is another title. Summertime, La Strada, Spartacus. ??? Why ??? Henry V 1945 I also have the UK Bluray, NO Criterion release either.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Olivier Hamlet Bu ray UK Region B
Gibson Hamlet Blu ray Australia Region Free
I actually have both these already. Just wouldn't mind, say, a good Criterion release of Olivier's Hamlet or a Warner Archive release of Gibson's.

Can't remember the exact reason, but I remember the Aussie Blu-ray of Gibson's Hamlet being a nightmare to play. Unskippable intros? Garrishly colored subtitles?

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
I have the UK Bluray 1948 Best Picture. Looks Nice. Criterion Never Releases it. They have dvds that Still have NOT been upgraded to Bluray. Oliver Twist is another title. Summertime, La Strada, Spartacus. ??? Why ??? Henry V 1945 I also have the UK Bluray, NO Criterion release either.

Apologies for straying off the topic a bit but speaking of Oliver Twist: I recently watched a TCM airing of Lean's Oliver Twist that I DVRed. I had never seen it -- what a great adaptation. Anyway it looked absolutely beautiful. I was thinking it was one of the nicest looking black and white transfers I'd ever seen on a TCM airing. I imagine it could make a stunning blu-ray.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Oliver Twist 1948 Blu ray France. Plays on my Samsung Region A player but not on Sony!
I’ve heard that the French Blu-ray of Oliver Twist is a PAL speedup (111 minutes verses 116 minutes). Region A Sony players will not play back 25 FPS even if the disc is region-free. Your best bet on this film is the Criterion HD iTunes release which I picked up back when iTunes was running a Criterion sale.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
A region free Blu-Ray player costs about $120 on Amazon. That like not buying 7 Blu-rays in that month. When I purchased mine it was freeing me.
I had a Panasonic Blu-Ray player that played a lot of UK Region B discs--though not French or German-- but of course any material that was uprezzed from SD, in particular interviews and such couldn't be played. Anyway, last month it finally died and I purchased a Region Free player instead of buying Blu-Rays, and now not only can I watch materials on the Blu-Rays I already own that are SD, such as Borzage's The River" which is on the French LUCKY STAR region free disc but I couldn't play as it was SD & Region 2, I was also able to watch the amazing looking German region B Blu of COBRA WOMAN, which I had bought but couldn't play, as well as the English Language version of Belmondo's LE CASSE. So yes, this has indeed freed me also & I highly recommend buying a Region Free player if you are a fan of classic cinema.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks