What's new

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Actor Ryan Gosling teams up again with the director of La La Land for a riveting film adaptation of the biography about Neil Armstrong written by James R. Hansen.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

HDMS Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl Mulder
I thought this movie looked soft with a 2k scan. The grain is also soft, which make encoding the movie difficult. This causes grain to crawl with moving images, panning images. There are a couple instances of edge enhancement and halo-ing also.

This movie has a great stylized look, but that look cannot be achieved by Universal. I'm actually still waiting for Universal to make a great looking 4k disc, and this isn't it.

This movie doesn't look good in my opinion.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review, Timothy. I didn't catch 'First Man' in the theater so I'm going to do a blind buy on the 4K Blu-ray. I'm sure I'll be happy with the presentation after reading your review and the one at another site.

Mark

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I appreciate your review. I do disagree on a few points. The video portion is not reference by any means IMO. Very few scenes look like 4K resolution ..there are a few. Audio wise the Atmos has very little from the height channels and, unfortunately, the bass is truncated having nothing below 40Hz. This might not be significant in a lot of films but a Saturn V liftoff at close range with no low end reaches absurdity

kitt1987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
You're right Carlos, I just watched this last night and felt that while the movie was done extremely well I was left feeling the audio track was underwhelming. Where was the low end on this movie? I just set up a new SVS SB 3000 subwoofer on my system last week that has left me impressed but I was wondering if the sub was even getting much action during this movie.
Terrific movie but felt the presentation could have been a bit better. So much for spending extra money on decent hardware when the studios continue to release discs that fail to full utilize the hardware we buy.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
First Man on 4K UHD is available on disc at retail beginning today, after having been available for the last 2 weeks via streaming and digital download.

The film received Academy Award nominations this morning for visual effects, sound mixing, and sound editing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
First Man on 4K UHD is available on disc at retail beginning today, after having been available for the last 2 weeks via streaming and digital download.

The film received Academy Award nominations this morning for visual effects, sound mixing, and sound editing.
Yeah, I got my 4K/UHD disc on yesterday so I'm looking forward to watching this film again in my own HT environment.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah, I got my 4K/UHD disc on yesterday so I'm looking forward to watching this film again in my own HT environment.
Ditto. I was disappointed when I saw it in theaters due to perhaps my high expectations.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Watched it yesterday. It looked terrific with my Sony XBRX940E/Panasonic UB9000 combo. I had no complaints about the LFE, I totally felt the Saturn rocket launch in my chest.

I felt the film was a bit slow a times, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. We'll be showing it in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater in the near future.

I scored a deal at Target. I had a $5 gift card in my Target app wallet. It didn't get applied as it should. The clerk just gave me a $5 bill as a refund and told me to use my $5 gift card next time. $19.99 for a new release 4K title is sweet! :)

Mark

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I watched this last night and felt that it added a few things to the 'space film' canon - particularly the visceral and claustrophobic moments in the various cockpits and capsules.

Personally, I'm just not sure of Ryan Gosling as an actor - he is such a blank canvas to me (how 'samey' is this role to the role of 'K' in 'Blade Runner 2049'...?) - although I know the character he plays here is meant to be very 'closed off'.

In the extras, someone said 'no-one has done this story before' - not quite true - I felt the story was well covered in 'The earth to the moon' HBO series.....
One to watch (and think about) again I think....

P.S. This 4K disc has extras! The first one to do so in my collection. The Blu ray has almost the same ones - they appear to have swapped a couple of featurettes over between the two discs.....

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Does anyone know if the digital copy version has the IMAX ratio for the lunar sequences, or is that only on the disc?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks