What's new

Long-run HDMI cables? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Anyone know of good recommendations or reviews for long-run HDMI cables for 4K use? I might need a new HDMI cable for my projector when it's 4K time. My run length is about 30-40 feet. I currently have a KeyDigital extender. It's spec sheet is:
Support for 4096x2160 or 3840x2160 24/25/30Hz at 4:4:4 or 60Hz at 4:2:0
It should work to get me going. But if there's 4:4:4 content at 60Hz in existence, my HDMI extender will be insufficient.

The current KD 4:4:4 extender will sing and dance and show all the 4's and K's. But when I search for price, I find it's like $800! So, that's out.
http://keydigital.com/product.aspx?ItemCode=KDX444L

I've seen the RUI Pro specifically recommended in forums. Its Amazon reviews are few but great. It's a bit spendy at $160.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGDFCSC/

I have this cable bookmarked too, but I forget where I saw it suggested originally.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076SX7WXX

And after some searching Monoprice, and some confusion over their multiple conflicting internal cable brands, I find their Monoprice DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable. It looks like a winner, claiming 18Gbps, YUV 4:4:4 at 60Hz, for 30'+ lengths, priced about $50. Knowing nothing else, I'd get this.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14131

Wirecutter doesn't review this cable length.

If you know of long-run HDMI cable recommendations or reviews, please post here. Thanks :)

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I pulled out my HDMI runs because they had issues doing Dolby Vision even thought they claimed they could handle it. The runs are 50 feet from the smart closet to the TV location. I switched to an HDBaseT Extender kit over cat6 and couldn't be happier. No issues at all with Dolby Vision or any other format.

Another nice feature is that I no longer have to swap out cables because lightning took out the cable. I swapped my daughter's HDMI out to an extender after the last time they lost a cable from a surge. No issues in 2 years.

Brian

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Can you give me a link to the extender you use, or brand / model name? The UHD version of my current extended is nearly $1000, which is bananas. I’d need something under $200.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Dave,

I've been using this one with no problems. HDMI Extender

I used their previous version for almost 2 years before I had to use it at someone else's house that needed a quick install. I updated to this one 4 months ago and am very happy with it.

I use it with an Apple 4K going through a Marantz receiver into a Sony 65A8 and have had no issues running the Apple TV in 4K Dolby Vision @60Hz. The extender runs between the receiver and TV. It only needs power on one end because it powers the second unit through POE.

Brian

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dave,

I've been using this one with no problems. HDMI Extender

I used their previous version for almost 2 years before I had to use it at someone else's house that needed a quick install. I updated to this one 4 months ago and am very happy with it.

I use it with an Apple 4K going through a Marantz receiver into a Sony 65A8 and have had no issues running the Apple TV in 4K Dolby Vision @60Hz. The extender runs between the receiver and TV. It only needs power on one end because it powers the second unit through POE.

Brian
Thanks. That's the kind of device I have now, but with full 18Gbps 4:4:4 60 Hz specs. It's more than I want to pay, but doable. Added to my "home theater" wishlist for future consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks