What's new

Bringing out the Dead (1999) (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Bringing out the Dead is extremely underrated, and one of my top ten '90's films. One of the many reasons I like this film is the late night urban atmosphere - this gives the film a strong pseudo-noir aspect.

Re-watched this a while back, and was very moved by the paramedic main character (Nic Cage) & his empathy for the people on the streets - IMHO, this is definitely one of NC's best roles. The scenes that especially get to me are: when he keeps seeing that young woman's face on random people, and also when all of the "ghosts" come out of the streets in the dream/fantasy sequence. The harsh lighting here is fantastic - really sets the mood.

Also, BOTD boasts an incredible & very diverse soundtrack - who else but Scorsese could use songs by REM, The Clash, The Marvelettes, 10,000 Maniacs, Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder, etc. in the same film and make it work?! This is probably my favorite soundtrack in a Scorsese film.

This film has unfairly been compared to Taxi Driver; even though the two share some similarities, IMHO they couldn't be more different. Yes, both films deal with someone driving around late at night in NYC. However, the similarities end there. Whereas Travis Bickle in TD has a hatred/contempt for the humanity he sees on the streets every day, the Nic Cage character has an empathy for those he sees & deals with on a regular basis. I.e., two diametrically opposed viewpoints in two completely different films.

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
yep, it is good. It feels surreal to me too. Like a fantasy, or the whole thing is a dream. like is similar great After Hours. That's what I'd compare it to, not taxi driver.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This film has unfairly been compared to Taxi Driver; even though the two share some similarities, IMHO they couldn't be more different.

Well, they both share scripts from Paul Schrader, Scorsese at the helm, New York City as the backdrop, and central characters that are not particularly coping well with life...so there is that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks