Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

Ralph Breaks the Internet UHD Review
RalphInternet_feat-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for the review, Todd! I'm looking forward to picking up the Blu-ray.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It was a good follow up to the original. It's too bad that I have to pass on a purchase.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Was an ok sequel but not on par with first one. Just didn't have the same heart and emotion. Almost a throw away movie that's sorta forgettable.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Disney's 4K product is over priced for what is in the package; although, every studio is guilty of that.

My main reason is that I cannot support a company that will not provide a home release of the film that allows me to see it the way I did in the theatre.

I have not bought any new Disney release since "Big Hero Six" when Disney did not make a domestic 3D release available.

The only Disney animated releases I buy are 4K upgrades of older films that Disney already had 3D releases for.

Disney is not the only one that do this for. The last Mission Impossible had a 3D theatrical release. The home version didn't so no purchase even though I liked the film very much.

If they do not put out Alita in a 3D version then I will not buy it no matter how much I like the film.

Film studios that will not give me what I want in a home release don't deserve my dollars post-theatrical release.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
He's probably upset that there is no 3D.

But if you love a movie, letting that block you from owning the movie seems silly.

Sad thing is he will miss MANY movies going forward since home 3D is no longer fully supported by most studios.

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is my baby to throw out. The constant refrain now is that discs are becoming a niche for collectors. Of that is true, then these companies had better start providing what I as a collector want or the release can sit on the shelf and rot.

It is not like I will not be able to stream a 2D viewing of a film. Owning it requires something different and that means providing a 3D copy in the package if it was released in the theatre that way.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I never bought a copy of Nolan's Dark Knight film when they wouldn't release a 2.35:1 version on BD so it doesn't just apply to 3D.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If they do not put out Alita in a 3D version then I will not buy it no matter how much I like the film.

Disney doesn't care if you don't buy it. Obviously, they'd like you to buy it. But they're not going to lose enough money from your non-sale to even flinch. There are plenty of other people who will buy it. So you can boycott the release all you want, but the only person you're hurting by doing so is yourself, by not letting yourself own a movie that you like.

Last fall, I bought The Seagull on DVD because there is no Region 1/A Blu-ray release. I want a Blu-ray to be released here. But I don't want to deny myself owning the movie on disc just because there's no Blu-ray. I think owning the movie in a lesser format is still better than not owning the movie.

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Funnily enough, we actually agree on this! :)

It is my baby to throw out.

You're absolutely right about that.

But...

It is not like I will not be able to stream a 2D viewing of a film.

So you'll pay Disney money to stream a rental of the film in 2D, but you won't pay to buy it? At a certain point, if you keep renting it, the rental cost would exceed the cost to purchase a copy. If your goal here is not to give Disney any money, this seems contradictory.

I never bought a copy of Nolan's Dark Knight film when they wouldn't release a 2.35:1 version on BD

Christopher Nolan's films all appear on Blu-ray as he wants them to appear. The shifting ratios format which he prefers also reflects how the movies played in their IMAX theatrical runs. So I don't see the problem with this. I think the switching ratios is a little distracting, and I wouldn't say no if they did offer an all-2.35:1 version on Blu-ray. But they are Nolan's film and it's Nolan's choice of how he wants them to be presented.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No. I won't pay Disney to stream their films. Once they start their streaming service, the only place I will see a Disney flick is in the theatre or when it is on network TV and I happen to be somewhere where I can see it.

I have no intention of paying for six streaming services when there is already a perfectly serviceable one that studios can licence content to. Any Disney service will be overpriced anyway.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Also, I really don't care what Nolan wanted. The film was released in the theatre at a 2.35:1 ratio and it should have been left the customer as to what version they wanted to watch in a home release.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
No. I won't pay Disney to stream their films.

But you said:

It is not like I will not be able to stream a 2D viewing of a film.

So were you talking about any film there, or Ralph in particular?

Netflix will get a window for Ralph Breaks the Internet because their deal with Disney covers theatrical films released through the end of 2018. It will be on there in a few months and it will probably stay for a year and a half or so, which has been standard, and then it will leave, at which point you will lose access to a film you admit you like. If you want to fall on your sword, that is your right. While you're doing that, I'll be enjoying the movie on Blu-ray.

Also, I think that Disney intends to keep their pricing on the streaming service competitive with Netflix. We'll see.

Also, I really don't care what Nolan wanted.

That's a bit surprising.

HTF's mission statement says "We the members of the forum are interested in the film product to be recorded and reproduced as closely as possible to the way the original creator(s) of that particular film intended."

You're free to disagree with this, of course. But "the way the original creator(s) of that particular film intended," in the case of Nolan's films, is the switching aspect ratios.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nolan's "artistic intentions" lost credibility when he decided that doing a 2.35:1 ratio for standard movie theatres was fine by him. Trying to stand on claims that 1.78:1 was "the way the film was intended to be seen" for a home release was nothing but trash on his part. He had no objection to two aspect ratios for theatrical release so his claim of "artistic intention" was just so much hypocrisy as far as I am concerned.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Interesting discussion that I might disagree with somewhat, but I won't because if that's how a person feels then that's fine with me. Frankly, If they're not going to support 3-D on home video, I wish the studios would just stop 3-D all-together including 3-D showings in movie theaters. Concentrate on more Dolby Cinema with Dolby Atmos showings.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I do wonder why they bother to animate movies like this in 3D and then make it hard to actually see it that way. I loved the first movie (bought it on release date) and was really looking forward to this one, but won’t downgrade to a 2D presentation. I regard every purchase as voting with my dollars- I’d buy a 3D disc to show my approval, not buying this 2D release shows my disapproval. Plenty of other stuff I can watch in the meantime.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Interestingly, there will be a 3D disc available in the Japanese 4K release, out on April 24th, 2019:

Here is the "standard" 4K/3D/2D release that will drop in price:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07NWVZLY7

Other versions with initial benefits (which probably will not drop in price):

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07P8KQKKK (Early purchase benefit: A calendar)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07P8KQRFG (Amazon.co.jp Exclusive with the calendar and something translated as a "clear file", which looks like stickers or post cards)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07P9P7PGD (Amazon.co.jp Exclusive with the calendar and a t-shirt)

Obviously, Disney Japan has placed 3D discs inside 4K editions for some time now, but Ralph Breaks the Internet is probably the first Disney property to have its entire 3D release be exclusive to Japan (although the live-action The Finest Hours was exclusive to Japan in 3D with full lossless audio).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks