What's new

Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022) (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
starwars-revengeofthesith-obiwan-transport.jpg

We already know Disney and Lucasfilm are working on two new live-action Star Wars shows. The Mandalorian is expected to hit Disney+ later this year, and a Rogue One prequel series focusing on Diego Luna’s character Cassian Andor is also in the works. But now a character who fans have long wanted to see in spin-off story might be headed to Disney’s streaming service as well.

A new rumor floating around says an Obi-Wan Kenobi limited series might be in the works for Disney+, and it’s a “top priority” for the House of Mouse.

slashfilm.com

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I said that they can make these things for their streaming service. They don't have to be all theatrical movies.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I talked to my friend who works at Disney and he's working on a Monsters Inc show for D+ and he thinks they are planning on making most or all of the Disney catalog available on D+.

So hopefully all those old classic live action movies will show up.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Very glad to see this happening. We'll get word from Disney next week at D23. This is the one project that I have always wanted to see made.

Question about the Deadline article: Do we think that the Mandalorian came out of the wreckage of the Boba Fett movie? I thought they were separate projects.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Question about the Deadline article: Do we think that the Mandalorian came out of the wreckage of the Boba Fett movie? I thought they were separate projects.
My GUESS is that they might have pulled a few ideas that were cool from the Boba Fett movie for The Mandalorian. Sorta like how they took the very early concept drawing of Darth Maul that they spitballed for The Phantom Menace and ended up using it as the Sith witches for The Clone Wars.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I still think this thread belongs in Streaming not TV...

This is where we discuss things like Stranger Things, Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, the Mandalorian, the Marvel Disney+ shows... As time goes on, all event TV shows seem to be made for streaming, and the end of broadcast and cable is nigh. I'd be happy leaving this where it is.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This is where we discuss things like Stranger Things, Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, the Mandalorian, the Marvel Disney+ shows... As time goes on, all event TV shows seem to be made for streaming, and the end of broadcast and cable is nigh. I'd be happy leaving this where it is.

Agreed. By my count there isn't a single discussion thread in that subforum (which I admit I didn't even know existed until these posts).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I still think this thread belongs in Streaming not TV...
I think of the whole Media section as being about purchased media, so the Streaming and Digital Media forum is about digital copies bundled with discs and digital purchases from Vudu, iTunes, Amazon, etc.

On the other hand, I think of the subscription streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, CBS All Access, Prime Video, etc.) as being little different than a cable or satellite subscription.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That seems about perfect, timewise. Far enough after Revenge of the Sith for the Empire to have become largely entrenched, and for Luke to be a school age kid instead of a baby or a toddler. But far enough before A New Hope that they don't have to try and make Ewan McGregor look like Alec Guinness.

The nice thing about a limited series instead of a tentpole film is that the stakes don't have to be as high. The fate of the galaxy doesn't need to be at stake. We don't need space battles and multiple planets and all of that. It can be Obi-Wan doing the right thing for a small group of locals being preyed upon by another malicious group of locals. All while working covertly to keep Luke off of the Empire's radar.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
They said all the scripts are written and the show films next year. Maybe we’ll see it in 2021.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Maybe we’ll see it in 2021.

That seems like a good target because it will be a big Star Wars event to keep people sated in between trilogies.

Back before Solo opened, there were rumors that Stephen Daldry was signed to direct an Obi-Wan movie. I feel like this news essentially confirms that the plans for the movie were real and got reshaped into the streaming series after Solo bombing caused them to pull the plug on standalone movies. I wonder if Daldry is still going to do it as a series or whether they will get someone else.

Daldry is attached to direct Wicked for Universal which currently has a release date penciled in of December 22, 2021. However, that movie has been in development for ages and was pushed back several times already. At least from what we know right now, it does not appear to be any closer to starting soon than it has been before. If Wicked does materialize for the 2021 date, Daldry is probably out for Obi-Wan, but if there is another delay for Wicked, it's possible he could do Obi-Wan first.

That seems about perfect, timewise. Far enough after Revenge of the Sith for the Empire to have become largely entrenched, and for Luke to be a school age kid instead of a baby or a toddler. But far enough before A New Hope that they don't have to try and make Ewan McGregor look like Alec Guinness.

Agreed. Although this was announced as a limited series and I don't believe they would necessarily be able to get McGroger for a huge, years-spanning commitment, it also means that there is enough space before A New Hope that they could probably do a second season down the line if he was willing. If it's set seven years after Sith, then obviously the intention is not to bring him to a point where it's a few days before A New Hope and the entire story of his life on Tattooine has been covered in the series, which is a good thing. But it gives them some wiggle room to do more than just this later if all involved parties wish to, and that's smart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks