What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
62073950_DATEBOOK_robin11211-1024x683-300x200.jpg

Lord Robin of Locksley (Taron Egerton) interrupts a thief from stealing one of his horses. Turns out she, Marion (Eve Hewson) had preconceived notions of what he might be like, which he immediately corrects. As they fall for each other Robin is sent by the Sheriff of Nottingham (Ben Mendelsohn) to support England in the Crusades, for four years. While there Robin protects an Arab warrior (Jamie Foxx) who is trying to prevent his son from being executed. In doing so Robin is critically wounded and the Arab escapes. Believing him to have been killed in battle, Marion has moved on with her life and is now helping to organize the local mine workers along with new flame Will (Jamie Dornan).
Returning home to find his estate in ruins, Robin is convinced by the Arab, to confront the Sheriff and the Cardinal (F Murray Abraham) who are conspiring together. Yahya...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Same here Robert, and the trailer for this film turned me off 100%. I seriously doubt I'll even bother to rent it.

Sorry Sam!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't understand the overall rating of 2, when nothing from the production to all the disc elements rated less than a 3.5? I seem to recall from somewhere that the overall rating is not necessarily an average, but it seems to defy logic.

I picked up the 4K from Walmart. Will likely watch it next week.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't understand the overall rating of 2, when nothing from the production to all the disc elements rated less than a 3.5? I seem to recall from somewhere that the overall rating is not necessarily an average, but it seems to defy logic.

I picked up the 4K from Walmart. Will likely watch it next week.
Please post your thoughts on this title.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

You missed the star rating. The movie itself is 2 stars out of 5. I scored it a production rating of 3.5 out of 5 because the movie and the disk both have high production value. The overall is not an average, and the production value and high AV quality were not sufficient for me to raise the overall rating above a 2. Everyone will rate things differently, this is how I see it =)

DalekFlay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dane M.
I found this very fun and enjoyable personally, and the visual style is first rate. The script dialog is the movie's main weakness, but everything else is much better than reviews imply if you ask me. I'm not someone who hates remakes on spec though, so... *shrug*

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Please post your thoughts on this title.
I'm mostly on the same page with Sam's thoughts. The opening of the film tries to reframe the story as more than just a simple "steal from the rich to give to the poor" parable, into a more grandiose "oppressed rising up to overthrow their oppressors." I don't think it really ever reaches those heights, and doesn't really add anything new to the Robin Hood story itself.

As a popcorn action romp, it's not bad. We enjoyed the action scenes and there was some humor, mostly from Friar Tuck. But as Sam said, it's really the origin story and set-up for a future franchise. Nothing is really resolved in this film.

it's kind of a shame this was not released in 3D, as there seemed to be several scenes planned/framed for 3D presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks